+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

visa expires on June 7, work permit on June 18, do I have to leave before June 7

noot1

Sep 16, 2012
Hi
I have a work permit that expires on June 18.

However, my visa expires on June 7.

Can I stay in Canada between June 8 to June 18?

Must I leave before June 7, the visa expiration date?

noot1

Sep 16, 2012
Do you think that I can stay when my visa expires but when my work permit is still valid????????????

amira_mais

Aug 18, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You need a valid work permit in order to work legally. You need a valid Temporary Resident Visa in order to stay in Canada legally. Neither one substitutes for the other; you need both for different purposes. In your case, you have to apply to extend your TRV in order to continue working till June 18.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

amira_mais said:
You need a valid work permit in order to work legally. You need a valid Temporary Resident Visa in order to stay in Canada legally. Neither one substitutes for the other; you need both for different purposes. In your case, you have to apply to extend your TRV in order to continue working till June 18.
Wrong again. The OP only requires a valid work/study/visitor permit to remain in Canada. The TRV doesn't have to be valid.

dna

Star Member
Aug 5, 2011
What you need to do is submitting an application before your work permit expires if you want to continue working for your employer or if your employer still needs you to work for him/her. Include a letter from your employer stating that he/she wants you to continue working for him/her or/and a new employment contract made by your current employer and other documents in the doc checklist when submitting the work permit extension application.
Once your work permit extension application is approved then you can apply for a new TRV if you want to visit your home country and to be back working in Canada. You need a valid work permit to apply for a TRV.