+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa expired while waiting for application result

Weihua

Jan 13, 2020
Hi,

If my visitor visa is about to expire but I’m still waiting for my common law and OWP application results what should I do?

Thank you :)

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Have you received AOR? A letter or email saying they have your application and are working on it?

If so, you have "implied status" and provided you don't do something silly like leave the country, you're okay until you get a decision on your OWP. If your OWP is approved, your status is fine until it expires.

If for some strange reason your OWP is refused, then it's a different story but that's unlikely if you have AOR.

If you don't have AOR, you need to apply to extend your status in Canada.

Reactions: Ohdontyousee

Weihua

Jan 13, 2020
Have you received AOR? A letter or email saying they have your application and are working on it?

If so, you have "implied status" and provided you don't do something silly like leave the country, you're okay until you get a decision on your OWP. If your OWP is approved, your status is fine until it expires.

If for some strange reason your OWP is refused, then it's a different story but that's unlikely if you have AOR.

Hello, thank you for your answer!! I haven’t started applying for common law and OWP yet. I just thought of the question and thought to know what I might have to deal with when encountering above issue. Thanks again for your reply!!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

AOR is not related to Implied Status and OWPs are returned even after AOR is received.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
AOR still doesn't mean that the OWP won't be returned and doesn't give Implied Status.
I see now why what I said looks like AOR gives implied status. That's not what I meant.

AOR should mean that the application has passed completeness check and very few are returned at that point. By necessity, as the application has not been decided nor returned, there is implied status with AOR but it doesn't flow from AOR.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I see now why what I said looks like AOR gives implied status. That's not what I meant.

AOR should mean that the application has passed completeness check and very few are returned at that point. By necessity, as the application has not been decided nor returned, there is implied status with AOR but it doesn't flow from AOR.
AOR means that the PR app is complete. It does not mean that the OWP app is complete, as OWP apps are still returned after AOR and AOR still has nothing to do with status.