+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa Approved! Question about deferral.

sybyabraham

Today at about 10:30 AM I received an email from the Canadian high commission mentioning that my study permit application has been approved. Thanks for all the help and support I've received on this forum! :) I applied under university category. This was my second attempt. Congratulations to everyone who got the approval and better luck next time to the ones who were refused a study permit, I know the waiting game and what it's like to be refused after planning and working towards it for so long.

However, I'm left with a bit of a dilemma. My mandatory orientation is on 27th August 2014 and it is not possible for me to reach Canada by that date since I'm in India at the moment and will have to travel to another country before finally leaving to Canada because of the current personal situations. I initially planned on deferring my course to the next available intake, January 2015 but my consultancy strictly mentioned that it is NOT possible because if I don't reach Canada before the start date, the visa will be cancelled and I would have to reapply for another study permit. The consultancy also mentioned that the GIC and the first semester fees will not be refunded.

This information is quite contradictory to what I know and what I've read here and it would be great if someone could clearly explain how deferral works.

ankurkool17

Apr 18, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01/08/2013 Paper Based
Doc's Request.
Pre-Medical 16/07/2013
IELTS Request
Overall 6.5 (7,6,6,6)
File Transfer...
02/08/2013
Med's Request
Furtherance(03/09/2013), Again Furtherance(18/01/2014), Follow-up (20/06/2014), Final Furtherance (25/06/2014)
Med's Done....
Furtherance Completed(09/11/2013), Second Furtherance Completed(12/02/2014), Treatment Started(20/02/2014), Treatment Completed(20/08/2014), Fresh Medical(21/08/2014)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
01/08/2013 Paper Based
VISA ISSUED...
26/08/2014 Got it. So Happy :)
LANDED..........
31/08/2014 Here I come
Hi I am not here to pry, but you should be lucky you got visa and you're trying to misuse it?? Ask the students who don't get or are still waiting.

You'll be issued the rest of the visa if you will reach late at POE by showing your deferred LOA. But Make sure to check the dates that one has to enter Canada by this time. Failure to do could cancel your visa.
GIC is not a big issue, you'll get the money when you'll reach Canada even if you reach Canada after 6 months nor is fees. Your consultant is giving you wrong info.

Correct me if I am wrong

Good luck

sybyabraham

Thanks for the reply!

Obviously I'm not trying to misuse it. This is my second attempt. I know the waiting game and what it's like to be refused after planning and working towards it for so long.

I have not explained my entire situation. The circumstances are such that it is extremely difficult. The main reason for the question being the agency providing wrong information.

I would also like to add that I had applied in the university category. I'm not sure if the rules are different for it.