+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa Approved. But Passport expires in a Year

ramdil

Jun 4, 2018
Friends,

I have a question that some experience members will have an answer. Please help me

My student visa is approved and CIC has asked me to send the passport for stamping.
My passport expires on Dec 6th 2019
My course begins on May 1st 2019 and ends on 29th Apr 2020

So my two questions are
1) Will I get visa stamped only till Dec 6th 2019 or CIC will require me to have valid passport till Apr 2020
2) If I get stamped only till Dec 2019, can I extend my visa when I am in Canada

ramdil

Jun 4, 2018
My visa was approved on Dec 14th 2018. I have 30 days to send the passport to CIC for stamping. I am not sure if I can extend my passport within 30 days.

philus

Oct 14, 2016
Your visa can be stamped but won't be beyond your passport expiration. You can always renew your passport in Canada (provided your country embassy is there but bear in mind Canada is far apart so you may be spending close to what can take you to and fro your country on flight - depending on where you are and where your country embassy is). My advice is that you send your about-to expire passport to CIC (given the tight time frame), and renew your passport before you leave (visas can always be on an expired passport provided you carry it along with your new passport).

ramdil

Jun 4, 2018
Thank you for the information. I will get it stamped on my current passport. I will then try to get a new passport before I leave for Canada.
I have one ore question, will I get a separate study permit document or visa itself is the study permit?

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
Thank you for the information. I will get it stamped on my current passport. I will then try to get a new passport before I leave for Canada.
I have one ore question, will I get a separate study permit document or visa itself is the study permit?
Study permit is a separate document from the visa. You will get your SP at port of entry.