+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa application as a post-doctoral candidate

arijit_sinha

Feb 16, 2015
Dear all,

This is my first post here and I am so happy to see so many questions already answered by the valuable members.

I have received a post-doc offer at McGill University and the position will start on July 01. I have a family which includes my wife and 14 months old baby whom I would like to take with me. Currently we live in Hyderabad. We are planning to leave by June 15.

I have just received passport for my baby and I am now planning to apply for visa. But I have a couple of questions for which I would like to seek your advice.

My wife has applied for PhD at McGill. She has not received offer yet but there is a strong chance that she will get it. Advisor has already confirmed her over email.

Qns:

1. I am not sure how long the visa process takes after application. Ideally I would like to wait for my wife's offer and then we can apply separately. I will be on a temporary work permit and she will be on an international student visa. How long can I wait till it is too late for my application?

2. If we apply separately should I make my baby dependent on me since my salary will be more?

3. If I apply right now and make both my wife and baby dependent can my wife apply again separately when she receives the offer?

4. If my wife goes on a dependent visa can she study? Are there any restrictions?

As you can see there are many ways to handle this situation. I would like to understand from you what will be the best route to go.
I truly value your advice on this. Thanks a lot in advance.