+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

VIRTUAL LANDING OR PHYSICAL? HELP

helpmeee

Mar 18, 2021
Hey guys,

so my spouse (Outland, US) has been in Canada since February and we had immediately informed IRCC of this via web form and he also got a temp work permit until end of augustwhich we updated them on in May. Basically we finally received PPR two days ago but they haven’t processed the app as if we are in Canada (even though GCMS notes showed that they received our web form) and asked us to send docs to NYVO.
Basically we contacted an immigration consultant and they told us that we should tell them we are in Canada to switch to virtual because it will be fast but now after reading more peoples experience it seems as though it’s possible it won’t be quicker. We already sent a web form to the IRCC telling them we are in Canada.
Is it possible to send the physical documents by mail to NYVO while also awaiting a response from IRCC regarding virtual landing to see which way is processed faster?
One major concern for physical landing is we were going to ask for visitor extension so he can stay in Canada longer, but would this be a terrible idea if he has to do a physical landing and is on implied status?
I am just so lost. Does anyone have any guidance?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
One major concern for physical landing is we were going to ask for visitor extension so he can stay in Canada longer, but would this be a terrible idea if he has to do a physical landing and is on implied status?
It would be a terrible idea to try to do both, a terrible idea to send documents to NY whhile he is still in Canada, a terrible idea to leave when he's not sure when he could come back, and you are over-complicating things.

Do the procedure to do virtual landing, hopefully it will not be long, and in the meantime at least you are together.

If you REALLY wish to do the other, he should go to USA, submit documents there, and be prepared to wait until documents returned (typically about four weeks anyway).

helpmeee

Mar 18, 2021
It would be a terrible idea to try to do both, a terrible idea to send documents to NY whhile he is still in Canada, a terrible idea to leave when he's not sure when he could come back, and you are over-complicating things.

Do the procedure to do virtual landing, hopefully it will not be long, and in the meantime at least you are together.

If you REALLY wish to do the other, he should go to USA, submit documents there, and be prepared to wait until documents returned (typically about four weeks anyway).
Thank you for the response. We were planning to flagpole for the physical landing, so to confirm, that’s a bad idea. Because being split up for long like that is not an option.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you for the response. We were planning to flagpole for the physical landing, so to confirm, that’s a bad idea. Because being split up for long like that is not an option.
I'm not sure that NY visa office will even accept your document submission from abroad (and return to you in Canada). I think Ottawa used to do that but not sure if they do now.

Basically the govt is still showing that they do NOT want people to flagpole (covid-related procedures not fully dropped). They're not going to actively stop you, doesn't mean they'll make it easy.

helpmeee

Mar 18, 2021
I'm not sure that NY visa office will even accept your document submission from abroad (and return to you in Canada). I think Ottawa used to do that but not sure if they do now.

Basically the govt is still showing that they do NOT want people to flagpole (covid-related procedures not fully dropped). They're not going to actively stop you, doesn't mean they'll make it easy.
ok thank you, I appreciate your advice. I will await virtual landing and apply for visitor extension if we have to.

helpmeee

Mar 18, 2021
Ummm another stressed question, I read somewhere that you can’t do virtual landing on implied status which my spouse would be on implied status in 2 weeks because his status runs out then. Is this true do you know?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ummm another stressed question, I read somewhere that you can’t do virtual landing on implied status which my spouse would be on implied status in 2 weeks because his status runs out then. Is this true do you know?
I have not heard that and do not know for certain; but I believe it is false because out-of-status people can apply inland and land like any other.

That said: apply to extend your status.

helpmeee

Mar 18, 2021
Ok thank you. Yes we were going to apply this week or next week. He still has just over 2 weeks left.

DesiPikachu

Jan 13, 2021
Not really true, at least in BC. Literally hundreds of students doing PGWP flagpoles every single day at all border points.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Not really true, at least in BC. Literally hundreds of students doing PGWP flagpoles every single day at all border points.
The distinction I was making was between (for spousal sponsorship anyway) how they give the COPR/eCOPR (passport stamping or virtual landing). They do still seem to want those in Canada to mostly do the virtual (not even sure they are providing passport stamps to those in Canada).

But fair point, they are certainly not consistent on this between different programs.

gim1989

Jun 30, 2022
Hey guys,

so my spouse (Outland, US) has been in Canada since February and we had immediately informed IRCC of this via web form and he also got a temp work permit until end of augustwhich we updated them on in May. Basically we finally received PPR two days ago but they haven’t processed the app as if we are in Canada (even though GCMS notes showed that they received our web form) and asked us to send docs to NYVO.
Basically we contacted an immigration consultant and they told us that we should tell them we are in Canada to switch to virtual because it will be fast but now after reading more peoples experience it seems as though it’s possible it won’t be quicker. We already sent a web form to the IRCC telling them we are in Canada.
Is it possible to send the physical documents by mail to NYVO while also awaiting a response from IRCC regarding virtual landing to see which way is processed faster?
I am just so lost. Does anyone have any guidance?
I have same you now. What going on about you now? Please share. Did you get virtual landing? And get extension?

helpmeee

Mar 18, 2021
I have same you now. What going on about you now? Please share. Did you get virtual landing? And get extension?
i updated them that we are in Canada and so far all I’ve gotten is informed they received all my inquiries and a ghost update pretty much everyday. Hoping portal request will come through very soon. We applied for visitor extension yesterday, so he is on implied status once his status expires next week.

gim1989

Jun 30, 2022
i updated them that we are in Canada and so far all I’ve gotten is informed they received all my inquiries and a ghost update pretty much everyday. Hoping portal request will come through very soon. We applied for visitor extension yesterday, so he is on implied status once his status expires next week.
Excuse me I have a question. After you update you in Canada. Did you get Permanent Resident Confirmation portal process? This step it’s waiting for they make portal account for you go to confirm your Permanent resident.

helpmeee

Mar 18, 2021
Excuse me I have a question. After you update you in Canada. Did you get Permanent Resident Confirmation portal process? This step it’s waiting for they make portal account for you go to confirm your Permanent resident.
havent gotten portal request yet. Just a ton of ghost updates.