+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Virtual Landing - Goods to Follow List

pc8922

Jun 6, 2017
Hello Everyone,

Wasn't able to find an answer on the forums- so asking if anyone has had similar experience.

As most would know, with virtual landing, applicant is already within Canada, so cannot have the goods to follow list signed and stamped at the border. Given this is important if one wants to save taxes on items we are bringing in from home country - would anyone be familiar with the process and how we can have the list signed so we can bring in the items to Canada?

Reactions: kpaxian

Awquin

May 28, 2020
Hello Everyone,

Wasn't able to find an answer on the forums- so asking if anyone has had similar experience.

As most would know, with virtual landing, applicant is already within Canada, so cannot have the goods to follow list signed and stamped at the border. Given this is important if one wants to save taxes on items we are bringing in from home country - would anyone be familiar with the process and how we can have the list signed so we can bring in the items to Canada?
Did you find this out? I am in the same boat.

parassachapara

Star Member
Mar 26, 2021
Hello Everyone,

Same question. Did you find out?

parassachapara

Star Member
Mar 26, 2021
I think you can go to airport within 24 hours of getting ecopr to get the goods to follow stamped. This is because we get 24 hours after landing even if we land by air/car

Underhill

Feb 5, 2020
Vancouver, BC
I just got my ecopr and I'm looking to import my US based vehicle into Canada. Was anyone able to figure out the process to do so? There is still no clear information available anywhere online.
I did this shortly after I got my applications approved a couple of years ago. I can't remember every detail, but I can tell you why it was a pain in the ass: The US requires that you 'export' your car from the US before you can import it into Canada. And you can't do this on your own. You need to use a licensed vehicle exporting service ($$$$). There is a workaround if you can get an exporter to issue the proper paperwork for a small fee (what I did). They are the exporter of record and you bring the car into Canada yourself with their supplied paperwork. You take this paperwork and your car to a US Customs office at the border that can process vehicle exports (not all do). If everything looks good they stamp the paperwork and you drive across the border to CBSA in Canada, along with your 'Goods to Follow' paperwork and they will check you in.

The whole thing was a bog-standard bureaucratic mess, but once your US paperwork is in order importing the car into Canada is a breeze.

Sorry I can't give more details. Best of luck!

tushargpt

Mar 6, 2023
I did this shortly after I got my applications approved a couple of years ago. I can't remember every detail, but I can tell you why it was a pain in the ass: The US requires that you 'export' your car from the US before you can import it into Canada. And you can't do this on your own. You need to use a licensed vehicle exporting service ($$$$). There is a workaround if you can get an exporter to issue the proper paperwork for a small fee (what I did). They are the exporter of record and you bring the car into Canada yourself with their supplied paperwork. You take this paperwork and your car to a US Customs office at the border that can process vehicle exports (not all do). If everything looks good they stamp the paperwork and you drive across the border to CBSA in Canada, along with your 'Goods to Follow' paperwork and they will check you in.

The whole thing was a bog-standard bureaucratic mess, but once your US paperwork is in order importing the car into Canada is a breeze.

Sorry I can't give more details. Best of luck!
Thanks for your reply. Did you have to pay any taxes/duty for your vehicle(s)? I haven't filled up any BSF186 or BSF186A forms before since I was virtually landed in Canada. Not sure if I need to have that filled up and stamped before I exit and re-enter with my vehicle to avoid being taxed. Also, if you still remember, how did you calculate the value in CDN dollars? Is that based on the original purchase amount? I purchased my vehicle back in 2019 and I'm wondering if I need to account for any deprecation over the years.

Underhill

Feb 5, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Thanks for your reply. Did you have to pay any taxes/duty for your vehicle(s)? I haven't filled up any BSF186 or BSF186A forms before since I was virtually landed in Canada. Not sure if I need to have that filled up and stamped before I exit and re-enter with my vehicle to avoid being taxed. Also, if you still remember, how did you calculate the value in CDN dollars? Is that based on the original purchase amount? I purchased my vehicle back in 2019 and I'm wondering if I need to account for any deprecation over the years.
No duties or taxes at all - not upon importing it or even when registering it. I'm in BC so we use ICBC and when I was registering the car they tried to charge me sales tax on its book value but I reminded them the vehicle is exempt from taxes on its value. They quickly reversed the taxes and I just paid the regular licensing fee.

I did have to get the car safety-inspected in Canada before I could register it, but that only took an hour at a Canadian Tire shop, and was very inexpensive.