+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Virtual Landing & Duty Free Import

MattFS218

Apr 2, 2016
My spouse is on the final stages of a family sponsorship application that was submitted Outland. She has been traveling to/from Canada multiple times on her existing multiple entry Visitor Visa while the family sponsorship application was being processed. She received a passport request, and she sent her passport along with her dependents to CPC-Ottawa (there was an option to send via VFS, but we choose CPC-Ottawa since she was physically present in Canada).

There appears to be conflicting information regarding the new eCoPR/Virtual landing process with some people claiming they were simply "landed".

I am concerned because I thought she would have up to a year to "land", but it appears that time frame might be accelerated due to this new process. Are new landed immigrants still allowed duty free importation of items? The list is usually produced at the port of entry when someone lands. Would she be allowed to push back her landing date, to a time that is suitable for her? Usually this is when medicals expire (1 year after medicals were taken).

Please advise. Thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My spouse is on the final stages of a family sponsorship application that was submitted Outland. She has been traveling to/from Canada multiple times on her existing multiple entry Visitor Visa while the family sponsorship application was being processed. She received a passport request, and she sent her passport along with her dependents to CPC-Ottawa (there was an option to send via VFS, but we choose CPC-Ottawa since she was physically present in Canada).

There appears to be conflicting information regarding the new eCoPR/Virtual landing process with some people claiming they were simply "landed".

I am concerned because I thought she would have up to a year to "land", but it appears that time frame might be accelerated due to this new process. Are new landed immigrants still allowed duty free importation of items? The list is usually produced at the port of entry when someone lands. Would she be allowed to push back her landing date, to a time that is suitable for her? Usually this is when medicals expire (1 year after medicals were taken).

Please advise. Thanks.
Landing has always been a year from your medical. What kind of duty free shopping are you doing?

MattFS218

Apr 2, 2016
With the new virtual landing process, is the primary applicant given a choice of when to officially land? They are asking questions about when you last entered Canada, and the port of entry.

looking to bring in a car and a boat.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
With the new virtual landing process, is the primary applicant given a choice of when to officially land? They are asking questions about when you last entered Canada, and the port of entry.

looking to bring in a car and a boat.
You can bring the car and boat in after landing as goods to follow. As long as they are not new.

MattFS218

Apr 2, 2016
YVR123,

with the Virtual Landing system, are you able to "choose" when you land? My understanding from most of the virtual landing threads is that you send information, and they process the landing effectively immediately (or whatever you are next in que). With the original paper based CoPRs, you would declare the car and boat on arrival at the port of entry and they would stamp the sheet to ensure goods to follow duty free entry. Is there an ability to do so with virtual landing?

--matt