+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Vietnam marriage: Global Affairs won't issue a Statement In Lieu of Certificate of Non-Impediment

cocobipbip

Jan 24, 2020
Hello,
Has anyone here successfully got married in Vietnam?
I am at my wits end. I want to marry my Vietnamese Fiance, and so I need to get a "Statement In Lieu of Certificate of Non-Impediment to Marriage" issued by Canadian government: this is a document required by Vietnamese Government in order for me to get married.
But i just emailed the Global Affairs, and they said that they will not issue a Statement in Lieu of Certificate for Vietnam... it doesn't make any sense, I can't find a list of countries for whom they deny doing this. Does anyone here have experience with getting the required Certificate of Non-Impediment to Marriage from the Canadian Government for the Vietnamese marriage?

cocobipbip

Jan 24, 2020
The Vietnamese Embassy suggests that you get it done with a Canadian notary, but I'm not confident that these instructions are for getting married in Vietnam, it's confusing: https://vietnamembassy.ca/consular-services/marriage-procedure/
Thanks, indeed they do. And it seems the Non-Impediment document should be from the Ontarioan Govt. (however, this info seems outofdate). Anyone successfully get married in Vietnam can confirm?
Happy Lunar new year!

chevykim

Jul 29, 2019
Hello,

We got married in Vietnam and the procedure was very simple. You only need to get the affidavit of marital status stating that you're single at the consulate general of Canada (if you're planning to do it in HCMC). Your fiance should go to the district people's committee where he's registered to ask for the required documents.

Reactions: cocobipbip

Xaradiem

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019
I followed those instructions from vietnamembassy link and website, and got the document done 5 months ago.
It took only 2 weeks for them to process and I even got the paper mailed to Vn address within 3 days after that.

cocobipbip

Jan 24, 2020
Hello,

We got married in Vietnam and the procedure was very simple. You only need to get the affidavit of marital status stating that you're single at the consulate general of Canada (if you're planning to do it in HCMC). Your fiance should go to the district people's committee where he's registered to ask for the required documents.
Actually I am in Canada right now. I am glad to hear that you had success.
I don't think there is a similar way I could get an affidavit of marital status within Canada, except to notarize a written statement about my status... which is pretty cheap and easy.
Quick question: how long did it take for you to get your marriage certifiate in Vietnam, between start to finish?

Xaradiem

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019
I don't think there is a similar way I could get an affidavit of marital status within Canada, except to notarize a written statement about my status... which is pretty cheap and easy.
Quick question: how long did it take for you to get your marriage certifiate in Vietnam, between start to finish?
Maximum 21 days.
Actually, they will give you final decision within 21 days.
It took me 5 days only since the local officers were really helpful.

chevykim

Jul 29, 2019
We spent 1 day to get the affidavit (it took only 15mins to get), 1 day for the mental health check. The waiting time to get the certificate is only from 10-15days depends on where you do it. We did it in HCMC and got the certificate after 10 days. :)