Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
mrbeachman said:
Let me try and phrase it differently.

Yes, of course there are friendships in Canada. When I was at the university I had plenty of friends.

However, it all becomes rather dull and depressing once people start to work or even worse have a "career".

Contacts are rarely made and the entire focus of one's life becomes this "career" that really isn't a career at all just the obsession to get a mortgage and toys.
I think you were hanging out with the wrong people or were doing something else wrong. This hasn't been my experience at all. I've been out of university for 20 years and continue to make many new friends (and very good friends) every year. None of them are through work (or at least extremely few). I have far far far more friends now than I ever did in university. We have different people from different walks of life to our house for parties all of the time. There frankly aren't enough weekends to spend time with all of the different people we'd like to spend time with (we can only fit so many people in our house at one time). Everyone I hang out with has the same problem (too many friends, too many social events, not enough time). I'm sorry that hasn't been your experience. I do however agree that people in condos / apartments don't tend to socialize or talk. Much different if you have a house.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
number411 said:
I'm sorry but a gambler is totally irrelevant example for EE skilled-worker immigrants. Maybe he is self-employed and that is a different category. We are not talking about self-employed immigrants here, we are only talking about FSW immigrants and this group depends on a job for survival.

Also, what percentage of immigrants are professional gamblers (0%)?

I agree with Leon below. What we can do outside of Canada is to work on the bold highlighted statement and build those skills which might help get a job faster.
So EE and FSW skilled-worker immigrants don't gamble? Not even buying lottery tickets? If someone won 5 billion us dollars, the person still depend on the job for survival???? :eek:

Also, who said they must be professional gamblers?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ttrajan said:
House rent is costly in Canada. I paid $1500 for 2 BHK flat in Edmonton and now paying $200 for the same size flat in chennai. Also car insurance is costly in Canada. Food items are okay.
But not as costly as in Hong Kong. I heard people paying $2000 for 2BHK flat which probably half as big as the Canadian size.

rahul20978

Dec 16, 2014
Bangalore
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi, changed to Warsaw
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-12-2014
Doc's Request.
Copies of passport
AOR Received.
16-04-2015
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
28-05-2015
Med's Done....
12-08-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
08-10-2015
LANDED..........
planning in June 2016
steaky said:
So EE and FSW skilled-worker immigrants don't gamble? Not even buying lottery tickets? If someone won 5 billion us dollars, the person still depend on the job for survival???? :eek:

Also, who said they must be professional gamblers?
Well, when you put it that way, just leaving the house every morning, anywhere in the world, is a gamble. Just about the only sure thing in life is death.

Yoda24

Nov 12, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interesting debate, my experience from Immigrating from home country to another...
Any move is challenging, changing cities within the country have its own challenges, surely moving to another country has different level of challenges, like adapting to the new culture, languages, working style, living style, expenses to meet....etc...
Aren't these challenges known ? I am sure they are known but when we face them, we realize how tormenting they are..eg. In India IT professional working as Manager will have a team of 20+ people working at different levels. In Canada the same person will either get a PM job or have to settle for a jr. position. The simple reason is, in team you rely on your team to do many things, here in Canada, people are Independent contributors and their actions, either make or break the projects....

Another common trend is, people start converting currency CAD $ to INR or something else...Why, still not able to make out....did you not find out, how much a 2 bed or 1 bed apartment cost ? Were you not prepared for the move and investment ?

Lastly, my bro. lives in Auckland and he feels the cost of living in Canada is cheaper than Nz...do you believe this....he pays $1000 every 15 days for 2 bed house, plus he says the, house standards are not that high as what you get in Canada. The food is expensive as well....that's my story..

I am not saying, there are no challenges, yes there are...but we all need to be positive and have confidence in our abilities to move on and settle...the first few years, are struggle...we need to give time.. I am sure things will be bright and you will not get disappointed....Cheers !

Eusufzai

Oct 30, 2009
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-12-2013
Doc's Request.
12-12-2013
Nomination.....
24-07-2015
AOR Received.
02-12-2015
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
13-01-2016
Med's Request
13-01-2016
Med's Done....
06-02-2016
Interview........
Waived
FSWON said:
Nothing I guess. It is type of a bitter sweetness that everyone craves to have. you can never ignore the enticement of having "better" life in a developed country, while at the same time the feeling of adjusting with unknown everything will make you think what you have left behind. In this economic condition worldwide, keep your expectation very low. I am so worried about my kids. Dont know for certain whether doing right things!
Hello FSWON,

I am also on in process for PR under MPNP. Would you mind to suggest me whether it will be better for me to give an entry and then return to BD. I have a govt. job in BD. These days I am a bit afraid to take the risk of huge challenge in Canada. At the same time getting age. I just want to go there for my kids. I know it will be difficult for me to face this huge challenge. But I want to keep alive my PR if I get it for my kids. They may have better education there. Can I have your contact number. I would like to talk to you.

Best regards,

Eusufzai

KINGTAUT2014

Star Member
Oct 13, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-08-2014
IELTS Request
sent.
Med's Done....
Nov. 2015
Interview........
October 2015
Passport Req..
Dec 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 2015
LANDED..........
NOt yet
Eusufzai said:
Hello FSWON,

I am also on in process for PR under MPNP. Would you mind to suggest me whether it will be better for me to give an entry and then return to BD. I have a govt. job in BD. These days I am a bit afraid to take the risk of huge challenge in Canada. At the same time getting age. I just want to go there for my kids. I know it will be difficult for me to face this huge challenge. But I want to keep alive my PR if I get it for my kids. They may have better education there. Can I have your contact number. I would like to talk to you.

Best regards,

Eusufzai
Thank u for being such a positive person, and share it with us., we all are subjected to such things in our own countries, but even in worst shape, I mean u have no hope that things will get better in our countries, thats why we all seek immigration, and mainly for the 2nd generation, who I hope will get better chances in education and work and even living conditions than us........all the other negative stuff are eexpected since the day we filled schedule A , and u start write ur first and last name in the application.

Be postivvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvve ladies and gentlemen........life is tough ride , up and down.

nope

Oct 3, 2015
Eusufzai said:
Hello FSWON,

Best regards,

Eusufzai
It really depends what you want. If you want to get rich and live easily, Canada is probably not the right place. If you want a government job, that is probably harder here too. But if you want your children to grow up in a good society, where people are mostly equal, everyone has opportunity, and laws are fair, Canada is the place to come. If you can come here and be happy without worrying what kind of job you have, and see your success in your family, this is the place to be.

And, if the scientific consensus on global warming is correct, you will have done a wonderful thing for your children.

FSWON

Nov 20, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
SGVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14 May 2014
AOR Received.
19 Oct 2014
Med's Request
19 Oct 2015
Med's Done....
25 Oct 2015
Passport Req..
19 Nov 2015
VISA ISSUED...
21 Dec 2015
LANDED..........
11 June 2016
Eusufzai said:
Hello FSWON,

Best regards,

Eusufzai

I guess you can make a short landing, if you want to have more finance from country, and other issues to take care of. However the flip side of the coin is it gets costlier sure to plane fare and all. Another deciding factor is your children's age. I am also in sha allah planning to do a short landing. And YES.. ALLAH knows the best, but the immigration option has been taken for the children only. MAY ALLAH MAKE THINGS EASY FOR US.

regards

nope

Oct 3, 2015
FSWON said:
I guess you can make a short landing, if you want to have more finance from country, and other issues to take care of. However the flip side of the coin is it gets costlier sure to plane fare and all. Another deciding factor is your children's age. I am also in sha allah planning to do a short landing. And YES.. ALLAH knows the best, but the immigration option has been taken for the children only. MAY ALLAH MAKE THINGS EASY FOR US.

regards
I know that everyone has different circumstances -- but the short landing is expensive, and it does not always make things easier. What is the real benefit? You probably won't rent a place to live, since you'll be going back; it's unlikely that you'll find a job, since you'll be going back; and then when you do go back, how will you do these things from BD? The same things that make the short landing attractive (no home, no job in Canada) will still exist, and make it harder for you to return again.

I recommend instead this -- a pre-landing by whoever in the family will work. Come alone, with a cheap room in a youth hostel to stay in for 3-4 days. Rent a cheap basement, look for any job at all, that's enough to pay the rent. When you have it, your family follows -- and from that point on, you simply move up. You find a school for the kids, you apply for the different government programs that Canadians use (the universal child benefit, etc.), you get a library card, find classes for upgrading, look for a better job, a better home, things like that.

Your first year or two in Canada are almost always going to be harder and more unpleasant than in your current home -- it doesn't make it easier to come for a short time, and then go back. What does make it easier is for one person to come alone, and start setting things up, without children or family to worry about during the first couple of months. But, this is just based on my experience, and everyone has a different situation, it's just a suggestion.

Reactions: qureishi

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nope said:
I know that everyone has different circumstances -- but the short landing is expensive, and it does not always make things easier. What is the real benefit? You probably won't rent a place to live, since you'll be going back; it's unlikely that you'll find a job, since you'll be going back; and then when you do go back, how will you do these things from BD? The same things that make the short landing attractive (no home, no job in Canada) will still exist, and make it harder for you to return again.
One benefit:

During the short landing, they can buy a plot of land and arrange with a builder before they going back. While they are in home country, the builder tear down the existing home and build a new home. When it is finished, the family would have a new home (in moving condition) in Canada when they come again.

On a side note, they can scout during the short landing and decide what items and what not to bring from their home country.

number411

Jul 10, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
steaky said:
One benefit:

During the short landing, they can buy a plot of land and arrange with a builder before they going back. While they are in home country, the builder tear down the existing home and build a new home. When it is finished, the family would have a new home (in moving condition) in Canada when they come again.

On a side note, they can scout during the short landing and decide what items and what not to bring from their home country.
You mean a new immigrant spends about 200-400k on a new house before he's settled with a job and decides his likes/dislikes?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
number411 said:
You mean a new immigrant spends about 200-400k on a new house before he's settled with a job and decides his likes/dislikes?
Not something I would advise. Not unless you have a bunch of money and are ready to retire. If you don't have a bunch of money and are not ready to retire, your first quest would be finding a decent job somewhere and that's where you will settle.

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
First good job then house.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
Not unless you have a bunch of money and are ready to retire. If you don't have a bunch of money and are not ready to retire, your first quest would be finding a decent job somewhere and that's where you will settle.
Not necessary. In a hot market like Metro Vancouver, once the new house is built and in move-in condition, the owner can decide to move in or flip it for a quick profit. After selling, they can find somewhere else to live or find a decent job somewhere and settle.