+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Very Important Questions!!! Qorax Please reply!!!

arcticmaple

Star Member
Nov 18, 2010
1. Can a pr holder retains his/her status if he/she stays outside Canada with his/her spouse?

2. What all countries can a Canada pr holder travel without travel visa?

3. I have read somewhere in cic website that stay before pr will be counted as 1/2 day and stay after pr will be counted one full day. so my question is will they consider my 15-month stay in canada during 2005-06 and count it towards residence requirements so that i need not have to physically present for 2-years out of 5-years.

Thanks & Regards,
arcticmaple.

devilhimselff

Champion Member
Jul 10, 2005
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Yep...
Re: Very Important Questions!!! Seniors Please reply!!!

My understanding is that you have to have 2 years out of 5 in Canada to maintain PR.

PR Card does not entitle you to Visa Free entry, Citizenship (Canadian Passport) will to many.

The stay in Canada is half counted if its prior to PR...BUT might be the last 5 years..Not sure about that though.

arcticmaple

Star Member
Nov 18, 2010

Seniors Please answer my questions.
I need an definite answer to these questions. I've read in a website which says that an PR holder can stay outside the country with an canadian spouse or canadian business to maintain his/her PR status.

Secondly, in the same website it's mentioned about the list of countries including Netherland, Mexico etc where we do not need travel visa if we have Canadian PR.
Thanks & Regards,
arcticmaple...

Dr.Hasib

VIP Member
Jul 1, 2010
Toronto,ON
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
21 Jan 2012

arcticmaple said:
Seniors Please answer my questions.
I need an definite answer to these questions. I've read in a website which says that an PR holder can stay outside the country with an canadian spouse or canadian business to maintain his/her PR status.

Secondly, in the same website it's mentioned about the list of countries including Netherland, Mexico etc where we do not need travel visa if we have Canadian PR.
Thanks & Regards,
arcticmaple...
nope..to maintain your status you must reside in canada for 2 years out of 5 years. however, it doesnt need to be continuous, it could be accumulative.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can keep your PR status if you are outside Canada working for a Canadian employer or accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse.

If you look at the PR card renewal application form, it first asks you if you have been outside Canada for 1095 days or more in the past 5 years. If you say yes, they offer you to list how many of those days were spent on business for a Canadian employer or accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse. Those days count towards your PR as if you had spent them in Canada.

They are however strict on which employers count as Canadian and you preferably must have been hired in Canada and transferred to an overseas office. They do that because that clause is meant for people who took a job in Canada and should not lose their PR status just because their Canadian employer sent them to another country. You can not save your PR by looking for a job overseas at a Canadian or multi-national part-Canadian company.

As for accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse, they could argue who was accompanying whom, if your Canadian spouse for example is not working but they usually don't.

Your PR is also protected if you are the spouse of a PR who is working for a Canadian employer overseas.

arcticmaple

Star Member
Nov 18, 2010
Leon said:
You can keep your PR status if you are outside Canada working for a Canadian employer or accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse.

If you look at the PR card renewal application form, it first asks you if you have been outside Canada for 1095 days or more in the past 5 years. If you say yes, they offer you to list how many of those days were spent on business for a Canadian employer or accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse. Those days count towards your PR as if you had spent them in Canada.

They are however strict on which employers count as Canadian and you preferably must have been hired in Canada and transferred to an overseas office. They do that because that clause is meant for people who took a job in Canada and should not lose their PR status just because their Canadian employer sent them to another country. You can not save your PR by looking for a job overseas at a Canadian or multi-national part-Canadian company.

As for accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse, they could argue who was accompanying whom, if your Canadian spouse for example is not working but they usually don't.

Your PR is also protected if you are the spouse of a PR who is working for a Canadian employer overseas.
Thanks a lottt for your prompt reply!!! Very much appreciated!!! I completely understand what you said here, but still i have one question in mind ie., what if pr holder accompany a landed immigrant citizen? will they consider landed immigrant as Canadian citizen? Is there any special clause for them. Actually my wife and kid who is 3-years old doesn't want to stay for long and become Canadian Citizens. So what if i become Citizen and stay outside country and will my wife and kid can retain their pr status for ever?
Eagerly awaiting for your answer!!!
Thanks & regards,
arcticmaple...

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A landed immigrant is a PR. If he gains citizenship, he is a citizen and no longer a PR. There is no such thing as a landed immigrant citizen.

A citizen can keep their citizenship forever, no matter where they live. The spouse and child under 22 accompanying a citizen in another country will keep their PR forever but it will be hard for them to renew their PR cards as they must be in Canada to do that.

If you apply for citizenship, you can apply for your minor children at the same time. As long as they are still PR and have not lost their PR due to not meeting the residency requirements, they do not have to meet the 1095 days for citizenship either. They don't have to take the exam if they are under 18 and if they are under 14, they don't even have to attend the oath.

shijoal

Feb 27, 2011
new delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
newdelhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-07-2011
Doc's Request.
not yet
Nomination.....
not yet
AOR Received.
06-09=2011
IELTS Request
sent with application
File Transfer...
09-11-2011
Med's Request
16-01-2012
Med's Done....
24-01-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
not yet
LANDED..........
not yet
devilhimselff said:
Precise info Leon...
+1 for you...
can u just say which all countries u can travel with out visa as a canadian citizen?

omm

Champion Member
Aug 27, 2009
USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shijoal said:
can u just say which all countries u can travel with out visa as a canadian citizen?
have a look here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_requirements_for_Canadian_citizens

OMM

devilhimselff

Champion Member
Jul 10, 2005
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Yep...
omm said:
have a look here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_requirements_for_Canadian_citizens

OMM
Good Link... :) +1

@ Shijol And also remember its Citizen, not Permanent Resident.

DJ sam

Nov 28, 2011
Arcticmaple

I hope you have got the answers you were looking for…but you should learn how to post on the forum. IMHO if you want to ask question to a specific person (some senior in particular) you should either mention his/her name or you send PM. But when you post a general question then it is rude, IMO, to reply to only one person, ignoring others. Dr. Hasib and devil both replied to your questions and you posted another post ‘Seniors Please answer my questions.’ I find it rude!

DJ Sam

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
arcticmaple said:
3. I have read somewhere in cic website that stay before pr will be counted as 1/2 day and stay after pr will be counted one full day. so my question is will they consider my 15-month stay in canada during 2005-06 and count it towards residence requirements so that i need not have to physically present for 2-years out of 5-years.
This rule only applies to qualifying for citizenship - not retaining PR. So no - your 15 month stay in Canada during 2005/6 will not be counted towards your PR residence requirements.

arcticmaple

Star Member
Nov 18, 2010
Re: Very Important Questions!!! Please reply!!!

Dear friends,
Thanks a lot for all your replies!!! Very much appreciated!!!
Regards,
arcticmaple