+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Very important case; I need an urgent advice plz

17ha15

Oct 15, 2018
Hi, I started my masters in chemical engineering (course based; one year program) at Mcmaster University in September 2017. I decided to transfer to Master's in Chemical Engineering (thesis based; two years program) in the Summer of 2018 at the same institution. Hence, I am expected to graduate in 2020 (2018+2 years). After that, I want to apply for PGWP. My question is: since I started my educational experience in Canada in 2017, and finished my degree in 2020 which is "3 years" after my admission, does it affect my PGWP? Thank you so much. Any advice is really appreciated!!

immihelper

Star Member
Feb 21, 2019
Hi, studying for 3 years actually helps you to get a longer post graduate work permit.

The only thing you need to ensure is that your study permit is valid for the entire duration of your course.

Reactions: 17ha15

17ha15

Oct 15, 2018
Hi, studying for 3 years actually helps you to get a longer post graduate work permit.

The only thing you need to ensure is that your study permit is valid for the entire duration of your course.
Thank you so much for your reply! So, the whole program transfer and studying for 3 years instead of 2 years is okay right?

My study permit is valid, it will expire in 10 months and I will extend it till my thesis defense since it will expire before my thesis defense in 3 weeks. What do you exactly mean by study permit valid for the entire duration? Thanks again!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi, I started my masters in chemical engineering (course based; one year program) at Mcmaster University in September 2017. I decided to transfer to Master's in Chemical Engineering (thesis based; two years program) in the Summer of 2018 at the same institution. Hence, I am expected to graduate in 2020 (2018+2 years). After that, I want to apply for PGWP. My question is: since I started my educational experience in Canada in 2017, and finished my degree in 2020 which is "3 years" after my admission, does it affect my PGWP? Thank you so much. Any advice is really appreciated!!
Your case is neither important nor urgent.

It's fine to change courses. Your PGWP will be based on the course that you finish.

Reactions: Immstu and 17ha15

Notableme

Sep 4, 2021
Your case is neither important nor urgent.

It's fine to change courses. Your PGWP will be based on the course that you finish.
Hi. What if he had a part time in his previous course chemical engineering? Would it affect his pgwp for mechanical engineering? And what if the two courses are the same length?

Last edited: