+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

VERIFICATION OF STATUS. Please help.

Lela Lelo

Jun 10, 2019
Hello everyone.

Does anyone know how much time does it take for verification after we've been accepted for refugees?
We live separated from my father. We live in other country( my mom and siblings ) while my father lives in Canada. It's been three and a half years and our situation is really difficult.
Also I want to ask after they verify our status how long does it take till we arrive in Canada (medical and etc). Is there anything we can do to speed up the processing time?
Our MP says that it can takes maybe 20 months. I hope that we will stay alive since then. :(

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone.

Does anyone know how much time does it take for verification after we've been accepted for refugees?
We live separated from my father. We live in other country( my mom and siblings ) while my father lives in Canada. It's been three and a half years and our situation is really difficult.
Also I want to ask after they verify our status how long does it take till we arrive in Canada (medical and etc). Is there anything we can do to speed up the processing time?
Our MP says that it can takes maybe 20 months. I hope that we will stay alive since then. :(
It's around 2 years. So the 20 month estimate by the MP is about right. There is unfortunately no way to speed up the process.

Lela Lelo

Jun 10, 2019
It's around 2 years. So the 20 month estimate by the MP is about right. There is unfortunately no way to speed up the process.
We are refugees and we also have PR status but we are waiting for verification. Our family was also involved in my fathers application for refugees. So you say that we should wait 2 years to go to Canada? We cant go there before my dad gets PR card? :( :(

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
We are refugees and we also have PR status but we are waiting for verification. Our family was also involved in my fathers application for refugees. So you say that we should wait 2 years to go to Canada? We cant go there before my dad gets PR card? :( :(
Multiple people have given you the same answer. As you have also been told you can attempt to get a TRV but since you are not really visitors it is unlikely to be approved. You can try. Your family would also not qualify for healthcare or school unless the children received study permits and paid international fees.

Reactions: Lela Lelo

Lela Lelo

Jun 10, 2019
Multiple people have given you the same answer. As you have also been told you can attempt to get a TRV but since you are not really visitors it is unlikely to be approved. You can try. Your family would also not qualify for healthcare or school unless the children received study permits and paid international fees.
Yes. That's right.
But I thought that it would be quicker because we are convetional refugees (my father is a protected person) and he said to me that we are waiting for verification of status (which will take about 6 months) and after that we will have to do a medical, and after medical we can come to canada in 1-3 months. The lawyer said that we will apply for PR card when we arrive in Canada. Im not allowed to talk to my father every day so thats why I can't really understand the procedure.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes. That's right.
But I thought that it would be quicker because we are convetional refugees (my father is a protected person) and he said to me that we are waiting for verification of status (which will take about 6 months) and after that we will have to do a medical, and after medical we can come to canada in 1-3 months. The lawyer said that we will apply for PR card when we arrive in Canada. Im not allowed to talk to my father every day so thats why I can't really understand the procedure.
Some things are getting lost in translation. Did your father arrive in Canada and apply for asylum then get approved? Then did he apply for PR including his children and his spouse? This is not a private sponsorship right?

If this is the case your father will have to wait until he receives PR. Takes 20 months these days but the times change. Once he gets approved the file will move to wherever you are and you will complete your medical, etc. That process usually takes 3-6 months if there are no delays or complications.

Your father can obtain a refugee travel document that will allow him to visit certain countries. He can not return to his home country. Going to visit you for a visit may be an option.

Lela Lelo

Jun 10, 2019
Some things are getting lost in translation. Did your father arrive in Canada and apply for asylum then get approved? Then did he apply for PR including his children and his spouse? This is not a private sponsorship right?

If this is the case your father will have to wait until he receives PR. Takes 20 months these days but the times change. Once he gets approved the file will move to wherever you are and you will complete your medical, etc. That process usually takes 3-6 months if there are no delays or complications.

Your father can obtain a refugee travel document that will allow him to visit certain countries. He can not return to his home country. Going to visit you for a visit may be an option.
Yes he (including us) got approved for asylum. After his hearing and his positive desicion, he send our documents to the VO. Now, as I know we are waiting for verification of status . And no, it's not a private sponsorship.
I cannot understand if he has to wait 20 months to recive a PR (approval for perminent residency)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes he (including us) got approved for asylum. After his hearing and his positive desicion, he send our documents to the VO. Now, as I know we are waiting for verification of status . And no, it's not a private sponsorship.
I cannot understand if he has to wait 20 months to recive a PR (approval for perminent residency)
Only he was approved as a protected person. Where are you getting your information and timelines? You may be reading outdated information. The waits have increased dramatically since asylum seekers starting walking across Canadian border without using an actual border crossing.

Reactions: Lela Lelo

Lela Lelo

Jun 10, 2019
Only he was approved as a protected person. Where are you getting your information and timelines? You may be reading outdated information. The waits have increased dramatically since asylum seekers starting walking across Canadian border without using an actual border crossing.
I get the infos from the CIC page. When I go to the proccesing time it says that approval for verification status (since 8th of september) is 6 months.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I get the infos from the CIC page. When I go to the proccesing time it says that approval for verification status (since 8th of september) is 6 months.
Think you may be looking under private refugee sponsorship. Whatever you are looking at doesn’t match with your situation. Maybe the 6 months is the time from when your father gets PR to your approval which we have said will be 3-6 months. It seems to be closer to 5-6 months these days.