+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Various Questions - Spouse Application

ComingHome

May 7, 2019
Hi everyone,

Just a heads up, this is going to be a long one, so if you make it all the way through, you deserve a medal or a hug or something. But I have a few questions in relation to the application to sponsor my spouse for PR. After my first post, I realized that the application is not that daunting, especially if you have gone through immigration to another country!

That said, there are a few things I'm curious about and hope that you all will be able to help or guide me in the right direction. I also apologize if these questions have been asked one, two or a thousand times or of the answer is in the guide somewhere. Also, you will see "JP'd, signed and statement" a lot, it's because having statutory declarations witnessed in Australia is a free service. The Justice of the Peace doesn't collect money for these services.

General Questions

We intended to live in Alberta, if you're from the lower mainland of Vancouver, you know it's too expensive to live there, hell, you know that even if you don't live there. In any case, we plan to live in Alberta, but we plan on arriving in BC, staying for two weeks and catching up with some friends and family. How would we answer that question in our application accurately and in the little space that's given?

Before I get into application specific questions, we are both living together in her home country of Australia. If we applied in say two weeks, could we then travel to Canada in order to live there while the application is processed?

If we apply offshore, do we have to wait in Australia until we are advised of our application status?

Also, my wife has worked and lived in Canada for a period of two years on a working holiday visa. If we enter Canada and apply for PR onshore, is she then able to apply for temporary work rights while the application is processing?

Submitting Evidence

In regards to submitting evidence, I understand this could be tricky given that the entire application is a paper application. Having said that, for the following questions on the following forms, is either a Statutory Declaration, signed by the applicant, sponsor or both that has been witnessed by a JP sufficient in terms of submitting evidence?

For example:

On IMM 1344 when asking details about the spouse that is being sponsored (the principal applicant), the applicant is my wife. Would it be relevant to attached a JP'd colour copy of our marriage certificate?

Also on IMM 1344 (and other forms in relation) where it is asked about previous marriages or common-law partners, is either a divorce certificate or decree required as evidence? Like the marriage certificate, this would also be JP'd and a colour copy.

IMM 5532 - Part C, Information about Relationship. This is to be filled out by both myself and my wife. After filling this out, is it appropriate to include a statement of the history and development of our relationship? This would also be witnessed by a JP. The reason I ask this is because like many folks, my wife and I met online, that's where our relationship began. The first time we met in person was at the airport when I picked her up. We lived in Canada for two years prior to moving back to her home country of Australia.

IMM 5532 - Question 7 - Family and Close Friends, Knowledge of Relationship. This is pretty self explanatory (I think) but for each person we list, is it required, or a good idea, to include a written and signed statement from them attesting to the knowledge of our relationship?

IMM 5532 - Information on our wedding - We had a very small, private wedding. There was only My wife and I, my two young children from a previous relationship, my sister and father. This was conducted in Canada prior to us leaving for Australia. To show evidence of this, I have heard/read about sending in photos of this. That's not a problem, however, for the sake of convince and not sending a 10KG application, would (you guessed it) a JP, printed colour page with several photos and explanations suffice as evidence in regards to our wedding?

Wow - you made it this far. You really do deserve a hug.

IMM 0008 - Question 11 - Last Entry into Canada - My wife and I made a trip into Washington State a couple years back, just for some Burger King and fuel for the car. We left BC for Washington and were back in BC within an hour. I assume that this counts as her last entry into Canada, as we did not leave the country and re-enter after that point?

IMM 0008 - Question 4 - Educational Detail, Intended Occupation - My wife isn't sure as to what she wants to do, I think she would be happy with any job at this point. How do we answer that question if we don't know ourselves?

IMM 0008 - Pages 3 & 4 - Dependents - My wife has no dependents. After a couple of reads it appears that this section and questions (1 - 14 on page 3, 15 - 17 on page 4) are intended for dependents that are or intend to migrate with my wife, is that correct?

IMM 5406 - Additional Family Information - Is this just for my wife (the applicant) to fill out? The reason I ask is at the top it says "The principal applicant, their common-law partner or spouse (if applicaple) and all dependents 18 years of age or over must complete this form"

Because I'm her husband, do I too need to fill this out?

Thank you all so very much. I know this is a lot and this post is just so full of spelling mistakes and run on's, but we sincerely appreciate you all taking the time to read it and answer some questions.

Thanks.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
General Questions

We intended to live in Alberta, if you're from the lower mainland of Vancouver, you know it's too expensive to live there, hell, you know that even if you don't live there. In any case, we plan to live in Alberta, but we plan on arriving in BC, staying for two weeks and catching up with some friends and family. How would we answer that question in our application accurately and in the little space that's given?
You attach a letter of explanation in your package. In the form, you write "We intend to live in Alberta. See attached letter of explanation."
Before I get into application specific questions, we are both living together in her home country of Australia. If we applied in say two weeks, could we then travel to Canada in order to live there while the application is processed?
She cannot move to Canada on a tourist visa/status. If it looks like she's moving, the border officers may deny her entry to the country. If she can gets into Canada, you can apply in Canada as an inland sponsorship - and she could also be eligible for an open work permit in about four months.

If you apply "outland," that is, outside of Canada, she could be asked to return to Australia to do biometrics and for any required interviews. She could then face problems returning to Canada as she would not be a true visitor.
If we apply offshore, do we have to wait in Australia until we are advised of our application status?
If you apply outland, you can wait anywhere in the world you want. Even Canada, with the understanding that she cannot give biometrics in Canada (would need to go to another country to do that) and may need to return to Australia for any interview.

Also, my wife has worked and lived in Canada for a period of two years on a working holiday visa. If we enter Canada and apply for PR onshore, is she then able to apply for temporary work rights while the application is processing?
If you apply inland you can apply for an Open Work Permit as part of the sponsorship process. It costs $255 and takes about 3-5 months to process.

On IMM 1344 when asking details about the spouse that is being sponsored (the principal applicant), the applicant is my wife. Would it be relevant to attached a JP'd colour copy of our marriage certificate?
For basically all of these questions around notarized copies - check the immigration guide. If the guide requires you to submit originals, you must submit the originals. Otherwise, you can submit notarized copies.

Also on IMM 1344 (and other forms in relation) where it is asked about previous marriages or common-law partners, is either a divorce certificate or decree required as evidence? Like the marriage certificate, this would also be JP'd and a colour copy.
As above.

IMM 5532 - Part C, Information about Relationship. This is to be filled out by both myself and my wife. After filling this out, is it appropriate to include a statement of the history and development of our relationship? This would also be witnessed by a JP. The reason I ask this is because like many folks, my wife and I met online, that's where our relationship began. The first time we met in person was at the airport when I picked her up. We lived in Canada for two years prior to moving back to her home country of Australia.
It is absolutely appropriate to include a history and development of your relationship. Nothing wrong with that - especially since you have to, and you may want more room. You don't need this notarized.

IMM 5532 - Question 7 - Family and Close Friends, Knowledge of Relationship. This is pretty self explanatory (I think) but for each person we list, is it required, or a good idea, to include a written and signed statement from them attesting to the knowledge of our relationship?
It's a good idea - it's extra evidence. Just don't send 100 letters! Pick some of the strongest. You want quality over quantity.

IMM 5532 - Information on our wedding - We had a very small, private wedding. There was only My wife and I, my two young children from a previous relationship, my sister and father. This was conducted in Canada prior to us leaving for Australia. To show evidence of this, I have heard/read about sending in photos of this. That's not a problem, however, for the sake of convince and not sending a 10KG application, would (you guessed it) a JP, printed colour page with several photos and explanations suffice as evidence in regards to our wedding?
The guide actually suggests you send in a maximum of 20 photos of the couple throughout the relationship. The guide also has instructions on how to write captions for them. They don't need to be notarized. Read the guide.

IMM 0008 - Question 11 - Last Entry into Canada - My wife and I made a trip into Washington State a couple years back, just for some Burger King and fuel for the car. We left BC for Washington and were back in BC within an hour. I assume that this counts as her last entry into Canada, as we did not leave the country and re-enter after that point?
Yes, unless she comes with you to Canada and you apply inland. Then when she comes to Canada before applying would be her last entry to Canada.

IMM 0008 - Question 4 - Educational Detail, Intended Occupation - My wife isn't sure as to what she wants to do, I think she would be happy with any job at this point. How do we answer that question if we don't know ourselves?
What is her education background? If it's nursing, say she wants to be a nurse. What is her current job? Just say something like that.

IMM 0008 - Pages 3 & 4 - Dependents - My wife has no dependents. After a couple of reads it appears that this section and questions (1 - 14 on page 3, 15 - 17 on page 4) are intended for dependents that are or intend to migrate with my wife, is that correct?
I don't have the guide in front of me to know the question numbers, but anything to do with dependents is generally about dependents of your wife. If she has none - do what the guide suggests and put N/A

IMM 5406 - Additional Family Information - Is this just for my wife (the applicant) to fill out? The reason I ask is at the top it says "The principal applicant, their common-law partner or spouse (if applicaple) and all dependents 18 years of age or over must complete this form"

I believe you do not need to fill this out.

Reactions: ComingHome

ComingHome

May 7, 2019
KHP - You are a legend. Thank you for taking the time to go through all that and answer, even if they're questions you may have answered a squillion times before. Greatly appreciate it and will get reading on the guides! Thank you!

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
KHP - You are a legend. Thank you for taking the time to go through all that and answer, even if they're questions you may have answered a squillion times before. Greatly appreciate it and will get reading on the guides! Thank you!
The guides are really good and give you most of the answers you're looking for.

You generally only need to notarize documents for which you're providing copies.

If your wife can get into Canada without any troubles - ie, she's not showing up with all her worldly possessions at once, and you can afford to have her not working for a while, an inland application makes sense. You can apply when she is in Canada, include an application for an OWP, and get it in about 3-5 months. The rest of the application takes a year.

Some people will suggest you can apply outland and then wait out the PR in Canada. Sure, you can, but: (1) your spouse will need to do biometrics and possibly interviews outside of Canada, and (2) no OWP.

Good luck!

ComingHome

May 7, 2019
The guides are really good and give you most of the answers you're looking for.

You generally only need to notarize documents for which you're providing copies.

If your wife can get into Canada without any troubles - ie, she's not showing up with all her worldly possessions at once, and you can afford to have her not working for a while, an inland application makes sense. You can apply when she is in Canada, include an application for an OWP, and get it in about 3-5 months. The rest of the application takes a year.

Some people will suggest you can apply outland and then wait out the PR in Canada. Sure, you can, but: (1) your spouse will need to do biometrics and possibly interviews outside of Canada, and (2) no OWP.

Good luck!
We moved to Australia with four pieces of luggage between the two of us, I hope we can move back with the same, or less! Haha. We are actually planning on shipping things back this time around so we aren't carting around four 22kg bags. I really like the idea of the OWP whilst waiting for the PR, I had no idea that was a thing and it takes a huge load of stress off knowing it's possible.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi everyone,

Just a heads up, this is going to be a long one, so if you make it all the way through, you deserve a medal or a hug or something. But I have a few questions in relation to the application to sponsor my spouse for PR. After my first post, I realized that the application is not that daunting, especially if you have gone through immigration to another country!

That said, there are a few things I'm curious about and hope that you all will be able to help or guide me in the right direction. I also apologize if these questions have been asked one, two or a thousand times or of the answer is in the guide somewhere. Also, you will see "JP'd, signed and statement" a lot, it's because having statutory declarations witnessed in Australia is a free service. The Justice of the Peace doesn't collect money for these services.

General Questions

Submitting Evidence

In regards to submitting evidence, I understand this could be tricky given that the entire application is a paper application. Having said that, for the following questions on the following forms, is either a Statutory Declaration, signed by the applicant, sponsor or both that has been witnessed by a JP sufficient in terms of submitting evidence?

For example:

Thank you all so very much. I know this is a lot and this post is just so full of spelling mistakes and run on's, but we sincerely appreciate you all taking the time to read it and answer some questions.

Thanks.
A few additions.

Skip the JP. Australians are not required to notarize documents (assuming they are in English), so it is 100% unnecessary and won't add anything to your app. Just submit normal copies.

Follow the checklist. You look to be heading towards evidence overkill. Quality over quantity.

Regarding your intent to move to Alberta, you don't need to explain anything. Just put Alberta. You can fly to wherever you want and decide to live wherever you want.

IMM1344 - no point in attaching a copy of your marriage certificate to this form since you have to submit a copy in the app anyways.

IMM5532, question 7 - no, don't include letters from everyone on that list. If you are including letters to meet that relationship documentation requirement on the checklist, pick a few. If you already have other documents for that section of the checklist, leave out letters.

IMM5532, wedding - max 20 pics in the app. Your small wedding is perfectly fine and you don't not need to explain anything beyond what you can say in the space provided in the form.

IMM0008, occupation - she can put space cowboy if she wants. It's a generic form and that question is irrelevant to a spousal sponsorship app.

IMM0008, dependents - just remove the dependent section

ComingHome

May 7, 2019
A few additions.

Skip the JP. Australians are not required to notarize documents (assuming they are in English), so it is 100% unnecessary and won't add anything to your app. Just submit normal copies.

Follow the checklist. You look to be heading towards evidence overkill. Quality over quantity.

Regarding your intent to move to Alberta, you don't need to explain anything. Just put Alberta. You can fly to wherever you want and decide to live wherever you want.

IMM1344 - no point in attaching a copy of your marriage certificate to this form since you have to submit a copy in the app anyways.

IMM5532, question 7 - no, don't include letters from everyone on that list. If you are including letters to meet that relationship documentation requirement on the checklist, pick a few. If you already have other documents for that section of the checklist, leave out letters.

IMM5532, wedding - max 20 pics in the app. Your small wedding is perfectly fine and you don't not need to explain anything beyond what you can say in the space provided in the form.

IMM0008, occupation - she can put space cowboy if she wants. It's a generic form and that question is irrelevant to a spousal sponsorship app.

IMM0008, dependents - just remove the dependent section
Deadly. Thank you! All docs are in English, so that's not a problem there. The last thing we want is a evidence overkill, and believe me, I know how easy it is to overdue it, repeat it and then have to refine it. My Australian PR app took ages and many revisions to both simplify and eliminate duplication's.

I appreciate all the advice given, it's given me a great deal of a reassurance about this process.

Reactions: k.h.p.