+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Vancouver, BC or Alberta???

foreversummer

Jun 23, 2012
Hi all! My husband and I just got our PR. We plan on going to Canada in 4 months time. I have been doing my research already about which province to settle in and I was able to narrow down my options to Vancouver, BC (because my sister is a PR also there, heard its a good place for new immigrants but also heard its expensive?) and 2.) Alberta (because I've heard cost of living is cheaper there and employment rate is high). I am confused which would be best for us. Can anyone residing in both provinces/ cities for quite some time give us a lowdown here? I would really appreciate your ideas/ suggestions. ☺☺

mrbeachman

Oct 24, 2011
Impossible to say. I heard job situation in Canada is dismal and employers are now asking for 3 references just to apply for a minimum wage supermarket job.

This is something no one on the forum can help you with. If this was me, I would go where my family is. If you are going to be renting the cost between Alberta and BC is pretty much the same. Granted, taxes are a lot lower in Alberta.

rahulk9

Star Member
Dec 21, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
foreversummer said:
Hi all! My husband and I just got our PR. We plan on going to Canada in 4 months time. I have been doing my research already about which province to settle in and I was able to narrow down my options to Vancouver, BC (because my sister is a PR also there, heard its a good place for new immigrants but also heard its expensive?) and 2.) Alberta (because I've heard cost of living is cheaper there and employment rate is high). I am confused which would be best for us. Can anyone residing in both provinces/ cities for quite some time give us a lowdown here? I would really appreciate your ideas/ suggestions. ☺☺
I will say avoid Alberta for sometime. Due to drop in oil prices job market has taken a huge hit. Initially stay in Vancouver or Ontario where chances of getting job is little more compared to Alberta. As you mentioned you have a sister in Vancouver, stay there initially so that you have some moral support.

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
Vancouver! and it is not that expensive as people like to point out. If you live downtown, sure it is, but once you move out to Burnaby or even further away it is actually alright.

And the weather is beautiful right now, well by the time you get here it will be raining again. No snow or hardly any..

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The best place to go is where YOU can get a job and not knowing your skilled or education, you'd have to find out about that for yourself by applying. IMO it would be good not to nail it down where to settle yet but move close to your sister to start with, apply for jobs there and in other provinces and see what turns up.

Keep in mind that if you settle in BC, there is a waiting time for health care so you should have travel insurance to cover you for the initial 2-3 months.

foreversummer

Jun 23, 2012
Thanks for all your responses! They really are very insightful.☺ I think I'm steering towards BC now with all your feedback, I was a little hesitant with BC at first because some websites really make the place seem bad that's even after my sister's advice that it's actually okay. Now, I am more optimistic to settling there at least initially, and see how it goes from there.

rawdah

Champion Member
May 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2013 PER Rec'd...: 07-08-2013
Doc's Request.
04-03-2014
Med's Request
23-09-2014
Med's Done....
24-09-2014
Passport Req..
PPR1:23-09-2014, PPR2: 20-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-10-2014
LANDED..........
04-12-2014
rahulk9 said:
I will say avoid Alberta for sometime. Due to drop in oil prices job market has taken a huge hit. Initially stay in Vancouver or Ontario where chances of getting job is little more compared to Alberta. As you mentioned you have a sister in Vancouver, stay there initially so that you have some moral support.
I second that.