+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Validity of police certificates

CMcM

Aug 9, 2016
I got my UK (where I live now) police certificate on February 1st and submitted my application for permanent residence on May 8th... I'm just having a panic because it didn't occur to me at the time that they might only be valid for 3 months. Can someone confirm for me what the date of a police certificate needs to be upon submission of the application?

alstar

Star Member
Dec 7, 2015
LANDED..........
07-08-2017
It really depends on which country, for example the one i got from Dubai was valid for 3 months. Its best to check with the local authorities.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The validity stated in the PCC is irrelevant, it is the validity under IRCC's guidelines what matters.

CMcM

Aug 9, 2016
Thanks! That put my mind at ease, and then I looked back at my combined PDF (with police certificates from the UK, US and France) and my heart sank... for some reason when I compressed the PDF because it was too big, it completely obscured the header of the French police certificate where it says "french ministry of justice" and "bulletin numero 3". I cannot believe this... I don't know how this happened (it looks as though it was whited out completely).

With everything I've read about other people's rejections, I'm so worried now that I will also be rejected for this -- I've re-uploaded the French police certificate using the "Case Specific Enquiry" form, but do you think there's any hope??

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Thanks! That put my mind at ease, and then I looked back at my combined PDF (with police certificates from the UK, US and France) and my heart sank... for some reason when I compressed the PDF because it was too big, it completely obscured the header of the French police certificate where it says "french ministry of justice" and "bulletin numero 3". I cannot believe this... I don't know how this happened (it looks as though it was whited out completely).

With everything I've read about other people's rejections, I'm so worried now that I will also be rejected for this -- I've re-uploaded the French police certificate using the "Case Specific Enquiry" form, but do you think there's any hope??
Yes, this is a possible cause for rejection as these documents are not supposed to be modified in any way.

However, since you've uploaded the correct document via CSE, it's quite possible that they will accept that and you'll be OK. It's going to come down to timing - when was your AOR and when did you upload the correct document?

CMcM

Aug 9, 2016
Yes, this is a possible cause for rejection as these documents are not supposed to be modified in any way.

However, since you've uploaded the correct document via CSE, it's quite possible that they will accept that and you'll be OK. It's going to come down to timing - when was your AOR and when did you upload the correct document?
So, I am actually a MASSIVE idiot - in the process of panicking about this, I thought through the dates --- I lived in France Sept 2006 until Feb 2007 (+ a couple of times I was there for a month, so it added up to just over 6 months)... and submitted my application May 2017, therefore I didn't actually spend 6+ months there in the last 10 years! I had just gotten a bit mixed up because I had started putting together my documentation for EE at the end of 2016. So I didn't need to include the French police certificate to begin with!!

Such a relief. I'm assuming if you include documents that they don't require, they just ignore them?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So, I am actually a MASSIVE idiot - in the process of panicking about this, I thought through the dates --- I lived in France Sept 2006 until Feb 2007 (+ a couple of times I was there for a month, so it added up to just over 6 months)... and submitted my application May 2017, therefore I didn't actually spend 6+ months there in the last 10 years! I had just gotten a bit mixed up because I had started putting together my documentation for EE at the end of 2016. So I didn't need to include the French police certificate to begin with!!

Such a relief. I'm assuming if you include documents that they don't require, they just ignore them?
Assuming time spent from October to January (4 months) + your couple visits of a month (2 months) that does add up to 6 months though.

CMcM

Aug 9, 2016
Assuming time spent from October to January (4 months) + your couple visits of a month (2 months) that does add up to 6 months though.
But it was September 2006 until February 2007. Thus when I submitted my EE application in May 2017, this no longer was part of the last 10 years.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
But it was September 2006 until February 2007. Thus when I submitted my EE application in May 2017, this no longer was part of the last 10 years.
That's not the requirement though.

You must provide a PCC for any country where you've spent more than 6 months in total since the age of 18.

If you spent those 6 months before turning 18 then yes, you wouldn't need to provide a PCC for France.

CMcM

Aug 9, 2016
That's not the requirement though.

You must provide a PCC for any country where you've spent more than 6 months in total since the age of 18.

If you spent those 6 months before turning 18 then yes, you wouldn't need to provide a PCC for France.
Oh crap. You're right. It looks though from my application status that they accepted the new scan though (yesterday it had changed to "the additional documents you provided have been uploaded" and now it has gone back to "your documents are being reviewed".). UGH. Fingers crossed...

Our medicals were passed today though, so hopefully that's a good sign.