+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Validating PR before expiration of CoPR (US to Canada)

dawwr5

Nov 10, 2019
Hi,

I am currently based in the US (Seattle, Washington) employed on an H1B visa. I got my Canadian confirmation of permanent residence with an expiry date of December 12. I can't move to Canada right away, and need a few months to wrap things up here in the US. However, I did want to validate my PR before the expiration date on my CoPR.

I was planning to drive to Canada to get my PR validated, but had some questions:

1) What should I expect to happen on the border? Can somebody please share their experience?
2) Somebody told me Canadian immigration officers frown upon "soft-landing". Would it work to my detriment if I tell them I came to Canada temporarily to validate my PR, and will go back to the US before eventually moving back to Canada permanently?
3) In addition to my visa, passport, and CoPR documents, are there any other documents or paperwork that I need to have with me?
4) What kind of questions should I expect to be asked by the Canadian immigration officers?
5) Do I need to apply for an SIN right away, or can I defer that till I permanently move to Canada later?
6) I have heard not all border-crossing locations have the PR validation capability at all times. Is there a way to check in advance which locations do have that capability and at what times, so I can check before I make that trip?

I would appreciate any other insights, feedback, or information you may have to share in this regard.

Thanks in advance for any help on this!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

I am currently based in the US (Seattle, Washington) employed on an H1B visa. I got my Canadian confirmation of permanent residence with an expiry date of December 12. I can't move to Canada right away, and need a few months to wrap things up here in the US. However, I did want to validate my PR before the expiration date on my CoPR.

I was planning to drive to Canada to get my PR validated, but had some questions:

1) What should I expect to happen on the border? Can somebody please share their experience?
2) Somebody told me Canadian immigration officers frown upon "soft-landing". Would it work to my detriment if I tell them I came to Canada temporarily to validate my PR, and will go back to the US before eventually moving back to Canada permanently?
3) In addition to my visa, passport, and CoPR documents, are there any other documents or paperwork that I need to have with me?
4) What kind of questions should I expect to be asked by the Canadian immigration officers?
5) Do I need to apply for an SIN right away, or can I defer that till I permanently move to Canada later?
6) I have heard not all border-crossing locations have the PR validation capability at all times. Is there a way to check in advance which locations do have that capability and at what times, so I can check before I make that trip?

I would appreciate any other insights, feedback, or information you may have to share in this regard.

Thanks in advance for any help on this!
1. You will land. Search the forum for specific experiences.

2. Someone is an idiot. CBSA has no issue with soft landings. The only thing that might happen is the officer may not apply for your PR card and you will require a PRTD if flying to Canada on your return.

3. Goods to follow if applicable.

4. They will confirm the information on the COPR.

5. You can apply later.

6. Restrictions apply to people living in Canada. You can land anywhere.