+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Validating CoPR

Leightalks

May 15, 2018
Hello,

My husband and I are in need of some help so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My husband just received his CoPR! (We applied under the Family Class - Outside Canada (he is a US citizen). And it only took 6months - we are very grateful for its early arrival. :)

However, back in January we booked our honeymoon from Calgary, AB to Paris, France starting at the end June to the end of July. My husband will be flying into Canada from the USA one day prior to our departure together for Europe.

So, if/when he validates his CoPR he will only be in Canada less than 24hrs before we fly out. Then when we return to Canada he will be going back to Seattle, WA to pack up his apartment and move to Canada.

This trip has made our situation quite difficult.

Our questions are:

1) Can he fly into Canada next month and NOT validate his permanent residence? (It says on his CoPR he has until March 2019 to validate.) Can he just stay a visitor for now?

2. a) Should we book a return flight from Calgary to Seattle for him prior to our departure to the EU? (To show his intentions of returning to the USA?)

2. b) Upon retuning, we land first in Halifax then Calgary. I was reading that only certain airports allow travelers to pass through Canada to the USA without extra documentation, Calgary being one of them / Halifax not. Will this affect us as well?

3) How hard is it to get a PRTD? Can he get one after just one day in Canada? Would we apply for one in Paris? How long is that process? How can he prove his will be in Canada for at least 2 years out of the 5 year requirement if he leaves the day after becoming a PR? Lol. :/ Ugh.

My husband and I are soooo grateful for the speedy PR process and do not take that for granted. However, we booked this trip with the belief that he would not being able to move to Canada until much later.

Thanks in advance for the info!

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,

My husband and I are in need of some help so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My husband just received his CoPR! (We applied under the Family Class - Outside Canada (he is a US citizen). And it only took 6months - we are very grateful for its early arrival. :)

However, back in January we booked our honeymoon from Calgary, AB to Paris, France starting at the end June to the end of July. My husband will be flying into Canada from the USA one day prior to our departure together for Europe.

So, if/when he validates his CoPR he will only be in Canada less than 24hrs before we fly out. Then when we return to Canada he will be going back to Seattle, WA to pack up his apartment and move to Canada.

This trip has made our situation quite difficult.

Our questions are:

1) Can he fly into Canada next month and NOT validate his permanent residence? (It says on his CoPR he has until March 2019 to validate.) Or could he remain a visit for this period of time?

2. a) Should we book a return flight from Calgary to Seattle for him prior to our departure to the EU? (To show his intentions of returning to the USA?)

2. b) Upon retuning, we land first in Halifax then Calgary. I was reading that only certain airports allow travelers to pass through Canada to the USA without extra documentation, Calgary being one of them / Halifax not. Will this affect us as well?

3) How hard is it to get a PRTD? Can he get one after just one day in Canada? Would we apply for one in Paris? How long is that process? How can he prove his will be in Canada for at least 2 years out of the 5 year requirement if he leaves the day after becoming a PR? Lol. :/ Ugh.

My husband and I are soooo grateful for the speedy PR process and do not take that for granted. However, we booked this trip with the belief that he would not being able to move to Canada until much later.

Thanks in advance for the info!
Hi

You don't need to do anything. As an American, he can fly to Canada on the strength of just his passport.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I was told by IRCC if he validates his CoPR he will need to have his PR card or PRTD. :/
US citizens get a loophole. They are both visa and eTA exempt.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I was told by IRCC if he validates his CoPR he will need to have his PR card or PRTD. :/
As said above, Americans are the exception because they do not require either an eTA or a TRV. Don't bother with the IRCC Call Centre; they are wrong more than they are right.