+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Valid work permit (A75-LMIA exempt), expired visa while traveling in Europe (ETA not applicable)

Mowghli

Mar 25, 2020
Hi, I have a work permit (A75 - LMIA exempt, as far as I know) in Quebec, valid for another 20 months (until end 2021). My visa expired while I was in western Europe. I did not realize that the work permit is not a travel document. And I am stuck over here, while my family is in Montreal (wife and two small kids). The covid 19 situation is not helping.
I have a difficult relationship with my employer in Quebec. I am actually in a transition phase, leaving them and joining another group company in western Europe. My current employer is asking for many documents that were never requested in the past. I am having serious doubts about their intentions. I am worried that they could be trying to jeopardize my status (either duration or visa type or both). But I want to stay in Quebec, if I can find some other employment. I am in advanced discussions with another major Quebec company.
I am wondering if it is possible to simply resign (if I have another offer) while I am over here, and apply for a visa to get back without losing my status. Do you have any ideas/suggestions?
I am from a south Asian country, my wife and kids are french citizens. We are temporary Canadian residents.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, I have a work permit (A75 - LMIA exempt, as far as I know) in Quebec, valid for another 20 months (until end 2021). My visa expired while I was in western Europe. I did not realize that the work permit is not a travel document. And I am stuck over here, while my family is in Montreal (wife and two small kids). The covid 19 situation is not helping.
I have a difficult relationship with my employer in Quebec. I am actually in a transition phase, leaving them and joining another group company in western Europe. My current employer is asking for many documents that were never requested in the past. I am having serious doubts about their intentions. I am worried that they could be trying to jeopardize my status (either duration or visa type or both). But I want to stay in Quebec, if I can find some other employment. I am in advanced discussions with another major Quebec company.
I am wondering if it is possible to simply resign (if I have another offer) while I am over here, and apply for a visa to get back without losing my status. Do you have any ideas/suggestions?
I am from a south Asian country, my wife and kids are french citizens. We are temporary Canadian residents.
I would first focus on getting a TRV approved (sounds like you need a TRV vs. eTA).

Right now you would only be allowed to travel back to Canada if you hold a valid work permit (in addition to the TRV). If you only hold a TRV, then you wouldn't be allowed to travel. I personally wouldn't do anything that might impact your existing work permit until you are physically back in Canada.

Just my two cents.

Mowghli

Mar 25, 2020
I would first focus on getting a TRV approved (sounds like you need a TRV vs. eTA).

Right now you would only be allowed to travel back to Canada if you hold a valid work permit (in addition to the TRV). If you only hold a TRV, then you wouldn't be allowed to travel. I personally wouldn't do anything that might impact your existing work permit until you are physically back in Canada.

Just my two cents.
Thank you! But how could I apply for a TRV? It seems that I need to provide a letter from my current employer, which is impossible to get. They want to change my work permit and also show that I am moving to Europe (intra group transfer).

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you! But how could I apply for a TRV? It seems that I need to provide a letter from my current employer, which is impossible to get. They want to change my work permit and also show that I am moving to Europe (intra group transfer).
Sorry - I don't know the answer to that.