+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Valid Visa on Expired Passport -What to Do ???

atand

Star Member
May 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
28 April 2011
AOR Received.
04 Nov 2011
Med's Request
13 Dec 2011
Med's Done....
21 Jan 2012
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
20-Mar-2012
VISA ISSUED...
25-Mar-2012
LANDED..........
11-Jan-2013
Shinygirl said:
Qorax..... please help me with this query.
My husband is the primary applicant, and we need to land in april, he has immigrant visa on his old passport, and since his passport was about to expire after few months, he got his new passport, so in that regard his old passport stands cancelled but visa is valid on that passport.
On his landing papers his old passport number is mentioned.

Do you think we can have any problem in that regard? We plan to take both passports alongwith us while landing.
Please reply, I am really tensed about it.

Thanks

Hi shinygirl!
Can you share your husband's experience upon landing in Canada port of entry? I am having same situation now. I already renewed my passport but the valid Canadian immigrant visa is in the old passport? Did he face any issues at the port of entry? Please reply as I am a bit nervous about this. Thanks!

Atand

digitalmyself

Feb 23, 2010
Dear Qorax

A very important topic you have discussed indeed; this is highly appreciable.

I have already received PPR but prior to that I have applied for Machine Readable Passport of both me and my wife (Needless to metnion that I have submitted copies of our manual passports at the time of application).

What I understand from your guidance that :
(Once i have the MRP Passports in hand) I should should notify the CHC

But further confusion is

Whether, I should notify -
a. Via Online information update portal of CHC? ...attaching the scan copies of the new passports??

b. Via Regular mail or Courier to CHC.

PLEASE NOTE THAT I HAVE ALREADY RECEIVED THE PPR

aND another confusion of mine is-

As my previous (manual) passport do not have any valid visa; should I attach the manual passport book with the MRP book?

If I attach the Manual PP Book with the MRP book , in which book should the visa be stamped (provided if positive)?

Would very much appreciate your urgent reply on this.

guvcode

Star Member
Jul 16, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
19-03-2012
Med's Done....
12-04-2012
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
16-July-2012
LANDED..........
Feb 2013
digitalmyself said:
Dear Qorax

A very important topic you have discussed indeed; this is highly appreciable.

I have already received PPR but prior to that I have applied for Machine Readable Passport of both me and my wife (Needless to metnion that I have submitted copies of our manual passports at the time of application).

What I understand from your guidance that :
(Once i have the MRP Passports in hand) I should should notify the CHC

But further confusion is

Whether, I should notify -
a. Via Online information update portal of CHC? ...attaching the scan copies of the new passports??

b. Via Regular mail or Courier to CHC.

PLEASE NOTE THAT I HAVE ALREADY RECEIVED THE PPR

aND another confusion of mine is-

As my previous (manual) passport do not have any valid visa; should I attach the manual passport book with the MRP book?

If I attach the Manual PP Book with the MRP book , in which book should the visa be stamped (provided if positive)?

Would very much appreciate your urgent reply on this.
Hello digitalmyself

For a similar situation, see mail response from VO below

Hello,

In that case you must submit both the old and new passports and pay re-issuance fee so that a new visa will be issued in the new passport.

Thank you,

Immigration Section - Section d’immigration (KAS)
Canadian High Commission

I will suggest you send a mail to your VO and further confirm what you should do and the cost

Regards

Guvcode

Fullmoon

Aug 13, 2013
Lahore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
qorax said:
Valid PRV on an Expired Passport ? -No Problem

13.15. Valid visas in expired passports
If an expired passport contains a valid visa counterfoil, the counterfoil can still be used since the expiration of the passport has no effect on the visa's validity. Holders of a valid visa may continue to use their visa until the date it expires even if the visa is in an expired passport. Visitors can fulfil the visa and passport requirements by presenting both the renewed and expired passports containing the valid visa counterfoil to a BSO when seeking entry into Canada. The Regulations state that visas should not be issued longer than the validity of the passport. However, due to pre- IRPA cases, it is possible to encounter visas in expired passports.

It is not possible to "transfer" a valid visa into a new passport. If the holder of a valid visa wishes to have a visa placed in their new passport or if the passport is deemed ‘not valid' for political or security concerns, visitors must apply for a replacement visa by submitting a new application and paying the replacement document fee in accordance with R311(2).

If the applicant wishes to obtain a visa valid for a longer period in the new document, this will constitute a new temporary resident visa application and any applicable fees resulting from this new application will be collected. The previous visa will subsequently be cancelled.

Ref: This is the quote from Sec-13.15 of the "Port of Entry Examinations Manual" -ENF 4; dt. 2010-02-23, Page 53
Qorax
Hi Captain, Is this the same case with TRV Multipal right now ?

canada248

Jul 20, 2013
Naavy100 said:
this is what i did when i visited singapore .........the visa was valid and passport was expired so I took both the passports with me and there was no problem
was ur study permit on ur old passport too (has old passport number)?

TR1234

Mar 27, 2013
Hi,

I have a valid multiple visa expiring in couple of month from now. However, my passport expiring soon. So, I got a new passport and applied for a new multiple visitor visa. The new application is still in process and has not get finalized yet. And for some reason, I have to travel to Canada very soon. So, I was wondering if I can travel with my current valid visa on old passport WHILE i have A NEW VISITOR VISA APPLICATION IN PROCESS?

Thanks

mehuna

Star Member
Dec 16, 2014
Visa Office......
SGVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 1st week 2014
Nomination.....
October 3rd week 2014
AOR Received.
December 1st week 2014
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
April 2nd week 2016
Med's Done....
April 3rd week 2016, MR received 3rd week April 2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 1st week 2016, simultaneously DECISION MADE
VISA ISSUED...
May 2016 Received on June 2016
LANDED..........
July 2016
Re:passport Validity Required for the Visa Issuance

Hi Seniors,

I have received confirmation of receipt of my application from SGVO on December 9, 2014. Is it AOR? Now I have a query regarding passport validity. My passport will expire on 5th January 2016. I came to know from the forum that CIC issues visa for 12 month from medical request letter. Can any one please confirm what should I do? Should I renew it now or CIC can stamp visa in the current status of the passport.

pakistani9

Oct 28, 2015
Dear mehuna,

Please share your experience as i am facing the same issue. Have you renewed your passport if yes, What did you do after renewing it?

Thanks,

Rendezvous70

Aug 8, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO / WVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19/12/2014
Doc's Request.
DD encashed - 14/02/2015
Nomination.....
08/03/2015
AOR Received.
15/04/2015
IELTS Request
submitted with the file
Med's Request
19-05-2015
Med's Done....
26-05-2015 / TLU - 06/06/2015
Interview........
DM Update - 01/08/2015
Passport Req..
07/08/2015
VISA ISSUED...
20/08/2015
LANDED..........
April 2016
Dear All ,

I am also facing a similar situation as above...

We are family of 4 and got our PR in August 2015. I am planning to land in the month of April 2016.

However, my son's passport is expiring in August 2016 i.e. 5 months prior to my departure.

I am flying via emirates with a 5 days stopover at Dubai.

My question is that since most of the airlines do not allow to board with the passports less than 6 months validity , I got my son's passport renewed. Now his visa in on the expired / cancelled passport. Will he be allowed to travel on his visa which is affixed on his previous passport ? Or should I get the same transferred to his new passport .

Has anyone faced similar situation and has traveled on the valid visa on expired / cancelled passport ?

Please advise urgently

Thanks

fredlyk

Jun 24, 2017
Hi Quorax,

This post is exactly what i needed to help me clear out my anxiety.

My wife, my son and I have received PR recently for Quebec.

During the procedures we were asked all documents including marriage certificate. We did the application by sumitting our passports (note my wife one was on her father last name)

Recently we have renewed our passport since they were about to expire in some few months.

Understood from previous post that visa on old passport is not an issue.

My concerns are

1. The old passports containing the Canadian Visa have been marked as cancelled with 3 holes in them

2. We have been issued new passport with different passport ID

3. My wife new passport has her married name now instead of the maiden name. There is no mentioned of the maiden name on the passport.
My Wife CSQ was issued on father last name as on passport but they have put her married name in the field other name.

I have contacted and informed the changes to the Canadian High Commision in Pretoria who have issued the visa previously. they have asked to send copy of old and new passport.

Do you think there will be an issue for my wife? since we already submitted the marriage certificate as part of the application process and teh CSQ has the married name in the filed other name; do you think this will be ok?

we are really stressed at the moment since we have already booked our tickets.

thanks for yoru help in advance

sakthiece

Star Member
Apr 25, 2017
I have my temporary resident immigration visa in cancelled passport (Renewed for updating spouse name and address change), can I travel to canada by presenting both the passports? Please advise

akash005

Apr 19, 2016
Toronto
I have renewed my passport it was expiring in 5 months time from my tentative flight date and was facing and questions as above. I wrote to immigration section of Canada embassy and I got below reply:-
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your recent inquiry to the Migration Section of the High Commission of Canada in New Delhi.

If you have a valid visa for Canada in your full/expired passport, and you have been issued a new passport, you may continue to use the visa, but you will need to travel with both your new passport and the full/expired passport which contains the valid visa when you travel to Canada.

To avoid needing to travel with both your full/expired passport and your new passport, you may wish to have the visa in your full or expired passport cancelled and a replacement visa (with the same validity) placed in your new passport. For more information on how to obtain a replacement visa and the associated fee, please visit https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5545-application-verification-status-vos-replacement-immigration-document.html .

The forms and fees should be submitted to VFS.

Sincerely,

Client Service Unit, Migration | Unité du Service à la clientele, migration

High Commission of Canada in India | Haut commissariat du Canada en Inde

Government of Canada | Gouvernement du Canada

akash005

Apr 19, 2016
Toronto
Hi Quorax,

This post is exactly what i needed to help me clear out my anxiety.

My wife, my son and I have received PR recently for Quebec.

During the procedures we were asked all documents including marriage certificate. We did the application by sumitting our passports (note my wife one was on her father last name)

Recently we have renewed our passport since they were about to expire in some few months.

Understood from previous post that visa on old passport is not an issue.

My concerns are

1. The old passports containing the Canadian Visa have been marked as cancelled with 3 holes in them

2. We have been issued new passport with different passport ID

3. My wife new passport has her married name now instead of the maiden name. There is no mentioned of the maiden name on the passport.
My Wife CSQ was issued on father last name as on passport but they have put her married name in the field other name.

I have contacted and informed the changes to the Canadian High Commision in Pretoria who have issued the visa previously. they have asked to send copy of old and new passport.

Do you think there will be an issue for my wife? since we already submitted the marriage certificate as part of the application process and teh CSQ has the married name in the filed other name; do you think this will be ok?

we are really stressed at the moment since we have already booked our tickets.

thanks for yoru help in advance
I have renewed my passport it was expiring in 5 months time from my tentative flight date and was facing and questions as above. I wrote to immigration section of Canada embassy and I got below reply:-
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your recent inquiry to the Migration Section of the High Commission of Canada in New Delhi.

If you have a valid visa for Canada in your full/expired passport, and you have been issued a new passport, you may continue to use the visa, but you will need to travel with both your new passport and the full/expired passport which contains the valid visa when you travel to Canada.

To avoid needing to travel with both your full/expired passport and your new passport, you may wish to have the visa in your full or expired passport cancelled and a replacement visa (with the same validity) placed in your new passport. For more information on how to obtain a replacement visa and the associated fee, please visit https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5545-application-verification-status-vos-replacement-immigration-document.html .

The forms and fees should be submitted to VFS.

Sincerely,

Client Service Unit, Migration | Unité du Service à la clientele, migration

High Commission of Canada in India | Haut commissariat du Canada en Inde

Government of Canada | Gouvernement du Canada

SunnyIkojoh

Sep 17, 2018
Hi Qorax,

Thank you guys for the information's you provide.

Before I ask my question, I would love to tell you a bit about my situation.
I am an international student in the US with an F1 student Visa. My F1 Visa has expired (which means I can't travel internationally without obtaining a new visa to re-enter the US). I Have applied and obtained a Canadian Visitors Visa (I want to visit Canada during the Christmas Period), and in my time in Canada, I would love to Visit the US consulate in Canada to renew my Visa to allow me entry back into the US. However, my passport will expire in the next 6 months, so before I travel to Canada, I would want to renew my passport here in the US (From the consulate office of my country). Now my question is, if I get a new passport, can I carry both the old passport (which has my current Canadian Visa in it) and new passport together with me while seeking entry into Canada? Will I be allowed to enter into Canada if I carry both passport?

SunnyIkojoh

Sep 17, 2018
Hi Qorax,

Thank you guys for the information's you provide.

Before I ask my question, I would love to tell you a bit about my situation.
I am an international student in the US with an F1 student Visa. My F1 Visa has expired (which means I can't travel internationally without obtaining a new visa to re-enter the US). I Have applied and obtained a Canadian Visitors Visa (I want to visit Canada during the Christmas Period), and in my time in Canada, I would love to Visit the US consulate in Canada to renew my Visa to allow me entry back into the US. However, my passport will expire in the next 6 months, so before I travel to Canada, I would want to renew my passport here in the US (From the consulate office of my country). Now my question is, if I get a new passport, can I carry both the old passport (which has my current Canadian Visa in it) and new passport together with me while seeking entry into Canada? Will I be allowed to enter into Canada if I carry both passport?