+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

valid visa in expired passport

priya_98

Star Member
Dec 4, 2014
Hi,

My parents live in india, they have valid canadian visa (expire in april 2019) in the expired passport. They have got the new passport after renewal. I wanted to know that can they travel having visa in expired passport? Will airlines, or indian immigration or canadian immigration object?

please advise if anyone has travel in this kind of case.

Regards
Priya

DavEd

Star Member
Mar 15, 2018
Hi,

My parents live in india, they have valid canadian visa (expire in april 2019) in the expired passport. They have got the new passport after renewal. I wanted to know that can they travel having visa in expired passport? Will airlines, or indian immigration or canadian immigration object?

please advise if anyone has travel in this kind of case.

Regards
Priya
Uuummm... firstly how did they get valid visas in an expired passport....???
Visas are valid till the date before the expiry of the passport usually.... a visa office will not issue a visa that is valid beyond the expiry date of the passport....

priya_98

Star Member
Dec 4, 2014
When they applied for a visa their passsport were valid and hence got till the expiry date of passport. In india you can renew your passport in advance (one year) left to passport to expire. So, they have renewed and got the new passport.

DavEd

Star Member
Mar 15, 2018
When they applied for a visa their passsport were valid and hence got till the expiry date of passport. In india you can renew your passport in advance (one year) left to passport to expire. So, they have renewed and got the new passport.
Applying in advance does not mean the previous passport is expired though does it??
If I have a passport expiring on 1 June 2019 and I apply for a renewal on 2 June 2018... my original passport expiring June 2019 is still valid... right...?? Because 1 June 2019 is still 362 days away...

priya_98

Star Member
Dec 4, 2014
I think you are not understanding my scenario here.

when they got the new passport, passport ministry stamp the cancel on the previous passport.

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Just bring the 2 passports, or call the airlines to be sure.
When I travelled to the US, my US visa was in the old passport, I just gave the border officer both passports, it was fine, land travel though.

DavEd

Star Member
Mar 15, 2018
I think you are not understanding my scenario here.

when they got the new passport, passport ministry stamp the cancel on the previous passport.
Some people have been able to travel with both passports in hand... when trying to board a flight they would present both passports and were okay to fly