+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Valid reasons to extend your stay

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Tourism, plans to see the rest of the country you have not seen yet. Obviously job hunting or staying on with PR or citizen spouse or significant other might not cut it.

happilyfreckled

Jul 23, 2016
If I sign a 1-year lease with my boyfriend and tell them I need to stay in order to gain common-law status, that should do it, right?

I also have extended family here in Canada.... they are my mom's cousins. Should I ask them to write a letter stating that we would like to get to know each other better?

Which reason would be more valid?

pfse

Mar 20, 2014
happilyfreckled said:
If I sign a 1-year lease with my boyfriend and tell them I need to stay in order to gain common-law status, that should do it, right?
That looks like intent to stay permanently... Which mean that CIC will have any doubts that you will leave the country at the end of your authorized stay. A perfect way to have your visitor visa extension refused.

happilyfreckled

Jul 23, 2016
Scylla said the opposite information that you are saying about reasons to extend a visitor visa... Scylla said, "if you are living with your boyfriend and attempting to live together for a full year to become common law so that he can sponsor you for PR - this is a valid reason."

I'm not sure if you are wrong, if Scylla is wrong, or if I am misunderstanding one of you.

You can check out Scylla's post here on the 3rd of August: www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/do-i-need-a-police-certificate-in-my-application-for-trv-t440101.0.html;msg5363246#msg5363246

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
happilyfreckled said:
Scylla said the opposite information that you are saying about reasons to extend a visitor visa... Scylla said, "if you are living with your boyfriend and attempting to live together for a full year to become common law so that he can sponsor you for PR - this is a valid reason."

I'm not sure if you are wrong, if Scylla is wrong, or if I am misunderstanding one of you.

You can check out Scylla's post here on the 3rd of August: www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/do-i-need-a-police-certificate-in-my-application-for-trv-t440101.0.html;msg5363246#msg5363246
Scylla is correct. Becoming common-law in order to apply for sponsorship is a perfectly valid reason to ask for an extension. Provided you have sufficient proof of finances to support your extended stay, you should have no issues.

happilyfreckled

Jul 23, 2016
canuck_in_uk said:
Scylla is correct. Becoming common-law in order to apply for sponsorship is a perfectly valid reason to ask for an extension. Provided you have sufficient proof of finances to support your extended stay, you should have no issues.
Thank you! Do you know if we can live together in a house with two other roommates? As long as we both sign the lease and get a joint bank account, then when I apply for an extension they will see that we are, indeed, going for common-law status, right?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
happilyfreckled said:
Thank you! Do you know if we can live together in a house with two other roommates? As long as we both sign the lease and get a joint bank account, then when I apply for an extension they will see that we are, indeed, going for common-law status, right?
Having roommates is fine.

happilyfreckled

Jul 23, 2016
To be honest, I am not ready to live with him. Do you think I can extend my stay as a visitor by just telling them that I want to spend more time with him even though we are NOT on the same lease, as well as spending time with my extended family members?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
happilyfreckled said:
To be honest, I am not ready to live with him. Do you think I can extend my stay as a visitor by just telling them that I want to spend more time with him even though we are NOT on the same lease, as well as spending time with my extended family members?
You can put that you want to spend more time with your boyfriend and family.

Jaz12

Star Member
Jan 9, 2019
My wife is here on visitor visa and legally she can stay here only for 6 months ... i have applied for sponsorship and open work visa inside Canada and its under process i didnt get the AOR yet but i am thinking to extend her stay here in Canada as a visitor ... based on my situation What are the valid reasons to extend your stay as a visitor?

sy3211

Jun 14, 2016
I have applied for Parents Sponsorship this year and waiting for a file number.

My parents came to Canada with visitor status(South Korean, 6months can be stayed only approval of eTA) and stayed almost 5months. Now they need to extend their visitor visa.

They are planning to stay with me until they receive the PR.
What should be the good reason? Can they honestly say they will stay until the status change? Or just mention traveling?

Feb 3, 2020
The truth...
The truth is I am pregnant and due in a month, they would like to spend more time with the new born and now being winter we could not take them around much. So there are places to visit in the wish list too. But my worry is, one of my friends got her application rejected for her mother as she mentioned she wants her to help her with her pregnancy!!