+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Valid job offer for postdoc

f37

Star Member
Jul 27, 2020
Hi guys,

I am desperately trying to confirm whether I will get my PR application under CEC rejected or not.

My Situation:
I have my two years contact (September 01 2018 to August 31 2020) as full-time post-doc (35 hours per week) extended by 1 more year (extension from September 01 2020 to August 31 2021). To get my ITA I selected valid job offer and got 50 points for that (without there was no chance of getting the ITA).

I submitted my PR application under CEC on May 8th 2020 and the expected completion date for processing my PR application is November 8 2020. So far just "Medical passed" and request for biometrics. I am worried that by the time my application is processed the job offer will fall short of the 1 year required by IRCC.

Questions:

• Someone pointed out that having been working for 2 years full time with 35 hours per week and with the third year extension with the same full-time and 35 hours per week my employment would be considered as indeterminate employment and I don't have to worry about that. Can anybody confirm this?
  • Is IRCC taking into account the delay caused by COVID in processing application (I saw that just to obtain "Medical passes" it is taking more than a month compared to a few weeks before COVID)? Can that help?

Thanks in advance!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi guys,

I am desperately trying to confirm whether I will get my PR application under CEC rejected or not.

My Situation:
I have my two years contact (September 01 2018 to August 31 2020) as full-time post-doc (35 hours per week) extended by 1 more year (extension from September 01 2020 to August 31 2021). To get my ITA I selected valid job offer and got 50 points for that (without there was no chance of getting the ITA).

I submitted my PR application under CEC on May 8th 2020 and the expected completion date for processing my PR application is November 8 2020. So far just "Medical passed" and request for biometrics. I am worried that by the time my application is processed the job offer will fall short of the 1 year required by IRCC.

Questions:

• Someone pointed out that having been working for 2 years full time with 35 hours per week and with the third year extension with the same full-time and 35 hours per week my employment would be considered as indeterminate employment and I don't have to worry about that. Can anybody confirm this?
  • Is IRCC taking into account the delay caused by COVID in processing application (I saw that just to obtain "Medical passes" it is taking more than a month compared to a few weeks before COVID)? Can that help?

Thanks in advance!
Generally speaking, IRCC wants a letter from your employers stating that they are offering you the job for at least one full year after you become a PR. If you don't have a letter from your employer that specifically includes this line, there's a chance IRCC will say you are not entitled to the 50 points.

No, IRCC won't take COVID-19 delays into account. Besides, even without COVID-19 delays and normal processing times, you would still be short on time with your job only running to August 2021 and an ETA of November 2020 to receive PR. The math still wouldn't work.

f37

Star Member
Jul 27, 2020
Generally speaking, IRCC wants a letter from your employers stating that they are offering you the job for at least one full year after you become a PR. If you don't have a letter from your employer that specifically includes this line, there's a chance IRCC will say you are not entitled to the 50 points.

No, IRCC won't take COVID-19 delays into account. Besides, even without COVID-19 delays and normal processing times, you would still be short on time with your job only running to August 2021 and an ETA of November 2020 to receive PR. The math still wouldn't work.
Thanks for the reply!

I imagined that would be the case but asked just to be sure. I don't think (though I wish) my employment will be considered as indeterminate employment as someone said in another post.

My job offer letter just specifies that my contract is extended till August 31 2021. Nothing else.

When you say "there's a chance IRCC will say you are not entitled to the 50 points." do you mean there have been exceptions in the past and IRCC may just close an eye (hopefully both eyes) and issue the PPR or it is hopeless and I should re-put my case into the pool without valid job offer and hope to get an ITA (in September my CRS would be 444 without 50 points from the job offer and if the cut-off drops below that I may get an ITA).

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for the reply!

I imagined that would be the case but asked just to be sure. I don't think (though I wish) my employment will be considered as indeterminate employment as someone said in another post.

My job offer letter just specifies that my contract is extended till August 31 2021. Nothing else.

When you say "there's a chance IRCC will say you are not entitled to the 50 points." do you mean there have been exceptions in the past and IRCC may just close an eye (hopefully both eyes) and issue the PPR or it is hopeless and I should re-put my case into the pool without valid job offer and hope to get an ITA (in September my CRS would be 444 without 50 points from the job offer and if the cut-off drops below that I may get an ITA).

Thanks
There's always some chance the IRCC officer will decide to overlook these things. However I don't think this situation is in your favour and in my opinion the chances of refusal are much higher than the chances of approval. You don't have a letter from your employer stating that they will employe you for a year after PR. And your work permit will expire in less than a year after you become a PR.

f37

Star Member
Jul 27, 2020
There's always some chance the IRCC officer will decide to overlook these things. However I don't think this situation is in your favour and in my opinion the chances of refusal are much higher than the chances of approval. You don't have a letter from your employer stating that they will employe you for a year after PR. And your work permit will expire in less than a year after you become a PR.

You are right. With pre-COVID timelines I was hoping to get my application processed within 3-4 months. But now it is just a bet. I think I will wait till September and then ask IRCC if they are fine with the job offer. If not I'll cancel (unless they have, already rejected it at that point) and re-submit my updated EE profile for ITA hoping the CRS cut-off drops below 444.

Anyway thanks for your opinion.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
You are right. With pre-COVID timelines I was hoping to get my application processed within 3-4 months. But now it is just a bet. I think I will wait till September and then ask IRCC if they are fine with the job offer. If not I'll cancel (unless they have, already rejected it at that point) and re-submit my updated EE profile for ITA hoping the CRS cut-off drops below 444.
IRCC will not answer such a question. You CAN apply for your GCMS notes and see what they say.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/transparency/access-information-privacy/request-privacy-act.html

There would be no real point to withdrawing the application at this point. Unless you get adverse info on your GCMS, I would suggest just letting it process to a decision.

f37

Star Member
Jul 27, 2020
IRCC will not answer such a question. You CAN apply for your GCMS notes and see what they say.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/transparency/access-information-privacy/request-privacy-act.html

There would be no real point to withdrawing the application at this point. Unless you get adverse info on your GCMS, I would suggest just letting it process to a decision.
Thanks!
I called IRCC and the agent said eligibility is set "recommended pass". If that is the case it should be fine right?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Thanks!
I called IRCC and the agent said eligibility is set "recommended pass". If that is the case it should be fine right?
That sounds good to me : ) There is a chance that a senior officer reviews and has a different opinion, but I don't think that happens much when the recommendation is "pass."

Neda_BK

Sep 19, 2020
Dear friends, I have a concern and question. I'm already a PhD student in Quebec and will be graduated in Oct. 2020. I plan to apply for Express Entry this November. I've found a postdoc position in Toronto for one year starting from November 2020.

1-In which case, this one-year postdoc contract can be considered as a job offer to get 50 points?
2-When I apply I will have my PhD from a Canadian University, do I need to submit my Msc and Bsc degrees that are not from a Canadian university to WES for evaluation?
3-I will be main applicant, so do I need to send my husband's educational degree which is not from a Canadian University to WES for evaluation?
Thanks in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Dear friends, I have a concern and question. I'm already a PhD student in Quebec and will be graduated in Oct. 2020. I plan to apply for Express Entry this November. I've found a postdoc position in Toronto for one year starting from November 2020.

1-In which case, this one-year postdoc contract can be considered as a job offer to get 50 points?
2-When I apply I will have my PhD from a Canadian University, do I need to submit my Msc and Bsc degrees that are not from a Canadian university to WES for evaluation?
3-I will be main applicant, so do I need to send my husband's educational degree which is not from a Canadian University to WES for evaluation?
Thanks in advance.
1. You will need to work in the postdoc role for a year first. Once you have worked in the role for a full year, you will be able to qualify for the 50 points. Your employer will also need to provide a letter stating that they will continue to offer you this job for at least one year after you become a PR.
2. No.
3. Only if you want points for his education.

Reactions: Neda_BK

mohanca

Aug 3, 2020
Montreal
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
21-10-2020
AOR Received.
22-10-2020
Med's Request
03-12-2020
Med's Done....
07-12-2020
LANDED..........
07-02-2022
Hello everyone...

I would like to confirm my eligibility for Express Entry - Canadian Experience Class (CEC). I have been working as a postdoc with Work Permit for the past 4 years in Quebec. I am now wondering if this postdoc position is considered towards my employment experience. Does CIC consider postdocs as employees? Or is it considered as just a work experience gained as a student?
Is there any postdoc with a successful CEC-EE PR application who could comment?

Thank you.

f37

Star Member
Jul 27, 2020
Hello everyone...

I would like to confirm my eligibility for Express Entry - Canadian Experience Class (CEC). I have been working as a postdoc with Work Permit for the past 4 years in Quebec. I am now wondering if this postdoc position is considered towards my employment experience. Does CIC consider postdocs as employees? Or is it considered as just a work experience gained as a student?

Thank you.

Yes, it does count as work experience for CEC if it was a full-time job. I have worked as a postdoc and I got points for it as experience for my PR application under CEC.

Reactions: mohanca

mohanca

Aug 3, 2020
Montreal
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
21-10-2020
AOR Received.
22-10-2020
Med's Request
03-12-2020
Med's Done....
07-12-2020
LANDED..........
07-02-2022
Yes, it does count as work experience for CEC if it was a full-time job. I have worked as a postdoc and I got points for it as experience for my PR application under CEC.
Thank you very much for confirming this. I'm very relieved to see your reply. I'm a postdoc working full-time at McGill. I just wanted to confirm the work experience situation. Thanks for your response :)

Laleh Jam

Nov 22, 2019
Hello everyone,
I have been working as a postdoc for 11 months so far. I have created my EE profile and will complete my one-year experience in Canada in December. The system will consider my one year experience in November and I will get ITA by then. If I claim my job offer now to get point one month before completing a full year work experience with my current employer, is that okay to meet all the claimed points by APR or they have to be met at the time of ITA? My concern is that whether IRCC assesses the points claimed by the time of ITA or APR.

I have my job offer stating they will offer me for one year after becoming PR.

FoodGatherer

Star Member
Dec 6, 2019
Hello everyone...

Thank you.
It is considered as an employment. I got my points like that. You need to demonstrate that you will leave Quebec when they approve the application.

Reactions: mohanca