+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Valid immigration visa/CoPR on an expired passport + new passport. Allowed for landing?

guntherpack

Jul 29, 2018
I received my immigration visa counterfoil and the CoPR on a soon-to-expire passport. Later, I decided to renew my passport (due to other personal travel plans), and therefore, obtained a fresh new passport. My old passport (containing the visa counterfoil) was stamped as 'cancelled' and small parts of the corner of few pages were cut to confirm the invalidity (the visa page is perfectly intact).

I am planning to land even before the expiry date of the old cancelled passport (and obviously before the expiry date of the visa and CoPR).

Now my question is: Are the following documents going to be accepted for the landing?
1. Old cancelled passport.
2. Valid visa counter foil and CoPR on the old passport, referencing the old passport number.
3. A new passport with 7 year validity period, but with a different number than the old passport.

I think I have heard that this should be fine form Canadian Immigration standpoint. But still, I am a bit afraid that the airline staff will find my case confusing and deny me boarding the plane, especially that I will not be flying from my home country.

Anybody had a similar experience that can share?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Yes, the visa is still valid in the old passport. Take both of the passports and the COPR with you.

Harshit99

Feb 4, 2024
I received my immigration visa counterfoil and the CoPR on a soon-to-expire passport. Later, I decided to renew my passport (due to other personal travel plans), and therefore, obtained a fresh new passport. My old passport (containing the visa counterfoil) was stamped as 'cancelled' and small parts of the corner of few pages were cut to confirm the invalidity (the visa page is perfectly intact).

I am planning to land even before the expiry date of the old cancelled passport (and obviously before the expiry date of the visa and CoPR).

Now my question is: Are the following documents going to be accepted for the landing?
1. Old cancelled passport.
2. Valid visa counter foil and CoPR on the old passport, referencing the old passport number.
3. A new passport with 7 year validity period, but with a different number than the old passport.

I think I have heard that this should be fine form Canadian Immigration standpoint. But still, I am a bit afraid that the airline staff will find my case confusing and deny me boarding the plane, especially that I will not be flying from my home country.

Anybody had a similar experience that can share?
Hi , did you travelled with the same ? old & new passport?