+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Valid Immigrant visa in an old passport?

nasimh

Dec 8, 2010
I have recently been issued the immigrant visa. However I noticed that my passport will be expired in three months and my PR visa as well. I just wonder if I apply for a renew passport, the PR visa on my old passport will be still valid? In other words can I present my valid PR visa in the old passport and the new passport at POE?

farhaniqbal

Nov 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-11-2009
Doc's Request.
21-01-2010
Med's Request
06-03-2012
Med's Done....
16-03-2012
Passport Req..
PPR1 on 14-09-2012 and PPR2, 05-10-12, Decision Made on 8-10-12
VISA ISSUED...
13-10-12
LANDED..........
November 1, 2012 at Calgary
No, you can not.

Visa expires either with the medical expiry or with the expiry of passport (Whichever comes first). So you have to land before the expiry of your passport.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
nasimh said:
I have recently been issued the immigrant visa. However I noticed that my passport will be expired in three months and my PR visa as well. I just wonder if I apply for a renew passport, the PR visa on my old passport will be still valid? In other words can I present my valid PR visa in the old passport and the new passport at POE?
As per ENF4* - yes, the validity of the visa would remain intact, if it isn't expired by itself. U can club both pps together & land, till the day the visa expires.
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/valid-visa-on-expired-passport-what-to-do-t39327.0.html

Qorax

*Strictly as per ENF4 only (a CIC Manual)... the practicality of it I'm unaware of.

gjp

Star Member
Feb 15, 2008
It may also depend on your country of origin. I am not sure if in your country they return back the old passport after renewal. If they return back the old passport then you can go by qorax reply. If they do not return back the old passport, then you are in trouble.
For example, for Indian passports there is a stamp that mentions "passport cancelled but valid visas are not cancelled". In this case you can use the new passport along with the valid visa in the old passport.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
gjp said:
It may also depend on your country of origin. I am not sure if in your country they return back the old passport after renewal. If they return back the old passport then you can go by qorax reply. If they do not return back the old passport, then you are in trouble.
For example, for Indian passports there is a stamp that mentions "passport cancelled but valid visas are not cancelled". In this case you can use the new passport along with the valid visa in the old passport.
Even in countries where it's prevalent to hold back the older pps during pp renewals - u can ask for their "return" if they contain "Valid Visa/s", IMHO.

Qorax

amissa

Star Member
Aug 28, 2010
qorax said:
Even in countries where it's prevalent to hold back the older pps during pp renewals - u can ask for their "return" if they contain "Valid Visa/s", IMHO.

Qorax
You are right Captain ! I asked and was granted the return of my old passport as it contains a valid shengen visa even though the norme in my country is to retain the old passport upon renewal.
However they stamped " Annule" = Canceled on most of the pages.

Amissa

mmushtaq

Apr 30, 2011
Hello Naimh,

can you please share your experience. Was it OK at the time of landing? I just wanna confirm if visa on old passport is not a problem if we stapled new passport.

Thanks,

nasimh said:
Thank you everybody for sharing your information. It was really helpful. :)

mrp1981

Mar 19, 2012
My wife passport is valid till july 2012 and have valid visa till 24th May.It is the law that passport should be valid for six month for tarvelling so I renewed passport having husband name instead of father name but the immigrant visa is in Old passport which have father name. would it create any problem while tarvelling ?