+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Valid Canadian Visa on an expired passport-what happens??????

jazz2

Star Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If I have a valid Canadian Visa e.g Immigrant Visa on an expired Passport,Can I enter Canada presenting my new passport along with the visa on my expired passport ? Am I required to apply for the visa transfer onto the new Passport?
If you can, Please provide a link that clarifies this issue.

jnathan

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Sheng Chiu
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21st Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
10th March 2010
AOR Received.
10th June 2010
IELTS Request
provided
File Transfer...
IN PROCESS: 12th October, 2010
Med's Request
Withdrawal Request sent....Was waiting for files to return....instead of returning the files, VO sent the MR !!
Med's Done....
28 May 2012
Passport Req..
24 July 2012
I dont have any link but when I applied for the student visa in 2001. I was required to have a valid passport until the full visa period. It means, I came back in 2004 and my passport was still valid. Canadian High commission wouldnt stamp a visa on any passport whose validity would be expired before the visa period ends.

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jazz2 said:
If I have a valid Canadian Visa e.g Immigrant Visa on an expired Passport,Can I enter Canada presenting my new passport along with the visa on my expired passport ? Am I required to apply for the visa transfer onto the new Passport?
Yes you can very much. No you do not have to apply for a visa transfer. People get 10 year US visa and some times the passport expires. It doesn't mean they US consulate will issue new visa on new passport. If the visa is valid you are good to go.

SASIF

Star Member
Jul 9, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In such cases you are required to keep the old passport along with your new passport. It works.

jnathan

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Sheng Chiu
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21st Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
10th March 2010
AOR Received.
10th June 2010
IELTS Request
provided
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Withdrawal Request sent....Was waiting for files to return....instead of returning the files, VO sent the MR !!
Med's Done....
28 May 2012
Passport Req..
24 July 2012
rocky272727 said:
Yes you can very much. No you do not have to apply for a visa transfer. People get 10 year US visa and some times the passport expires. It doesn't mean they US consulate will issue new visa on new passport. If the visa is valid you are good to go.
No, Immigration officials wont let you enter into their country without having a valid passport. My father once had to return back from his working country's airport to his home country after his invalid passport was seen at the entry point in his working country. But this is for sure, you need a valid passport with the old one. But I havent seen any visa thats more than 10 years validity, even the US multiple tourist visas are of 5 yrs timeline. usually passports have 10 yrs validity. I am curious to know which country issues 10+ yrs visa.

alice_chained

Star Member
Jan 20, 2009
I don't knwo about Immigrant visas maybe there may be a restriction that you can only enter using that passport it was issued on. You need toa sk a lawyer or someone who can tell you more..

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
jnathan said:
No, Immigration officials wont let you enter into their country without having a valid passport. My father once had to return back from his working country's airport to his home country after his invalid passport was seen at the entry point in his working country. But this is for sure, you need a valid passport with the old one. But I havent seen any visa thats more than 10 years validity, even the US multiple tourist visas are of 5 yrs timeline. usually passports have 10 yrs validity. I am curious to know which country issues 10+ yrs visa.
The US issues 10 years-multiple entry visitor visa (B1/B2)

claxtonCT

Star Member
Oct 11, 2008
the best for you to inquire with an official source (like your local canadian consulate) you did not even explained what type of visa are you talking about. As a "world" general rule, a visa that is valid for longer than the passport expiration date can be used provided that you travel with both the old passport with the visa and a new valid passport but, like I said, you dont want to bank on that..

alice_chained

Star Member
Jan 20, 2009
I thought that Immigration visas are only valid till the expiry date of the passport or the date of medical which ever one comes first.

If you do have a new passport i don't think it will work, casue your copr has the passport number, and it clearly mentions that if there is a mistake on the passport number return the visa and COPR.

you need to call up CIC and ask them.

jazz2

Star Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I appreciate your comments and suggestions. I guess as Alice says,I should get a lawyer's legal advice on this issue.

jnathan

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Sheng Chiu
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21st Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
10th March 2010
AOR Received.
10th June 2010
IELTS Request
provided
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
28 May 2012
Passport Req..
24 July 2012
any Local CHC can answer to such queries.
write to them.

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jnathan said:
I have 10 year multiple entry B1-B2 visa for US.

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes you should inquire from CHC to be more clear. Just for your information. I had US visa on my expired passport and was allowed entry in US twice. I had my new passport stapled to the old one and US visa is on the old expired passport. Inquire about immigration visa's

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
(e) A visa does not expire with the expiry of the holder's passport. An unexpired, endorsed visa in an expired passport may be presented for entry into the USA, as long as the visa itself has not been cancelled, is undamaged, is less than 10 years old and is presented with a valid non-expired passport, provided that both passports are for the same nationality.

Source: http://www.worldtravelguide.net/country/292/passport_visa/North-America/United-States-of-America.html

Hope it will clarify the doubt for tourist US visa's.

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jazz2 said:
Source: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/3999E2.asp
How long is a permanent resident visa valid?

A permanent resident visa is issued for a period not exceeding the earlier of

- the expiry date of the medical results for you and your family members or
- the expiry date of your or your family members’ passport.

Permanent resident visas cannot be extended once issued. If applicants do not use the visas within their validity period, they must re-apply for immigration to Canada. Their sponsor will have to submit a new sponsorship application and pay new processing fees.

Still confirm from your local CHC.