05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
jface said:
Just got back from vacation two days ago. Here's what happened:

Leaving from Canada to US, only passport requested
Connecting flight from US to Aruba, only passport requested
Leaving from Aruba to US, only passport requested
Arriving in Toronto, passport and PR Card requested at immigration (as expected)

Incidentally, I received my PR card a week before leaving. But as many have said before, if you make it to Canada, a lack of PR card shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks for following up.

4tomic

Feb 19, 2014
Hello there,

My spouse is in a similar situation to the people in this thread. I'm Canadian and my spouse is a US Citizen with a US passport - recently sponsored by me for PR. As of December 2013, his PR status was still "in progress" and they quoted us 8 more months over the phone (he had a valid student visa in Canada, so returning was easy) so we went ahead and booked a week vacation in Maui, Hawaii. We are supposed to leave tomorrow. We got a letter in the mail last week and his PR landing was yesterday in Vancouver - he is now a PR with no card, but has the CoPR form and a valid US passport. I've been researching all over the internet for the last 24 hours until I found this thread. Information is few and far between.

CIC seems to indicate it would be illegal for him to return to Canada without his PR card. We asked about this at the immigration office yesterday and they seemed to have no idea. One guy mentioned an expensive fine. The other told us it would be fine because he is from the US, a visa-exempt country. Another suggested the "permanent resident travel document" - I've looked into this and the office is in LA - they process them same-day in person, or it takes them 30 days by mail. We're leaving tomorrow, coming back next week, flying direct - not a great option.

We are flying West Jet and I spoke with them on the phone today - they said that he can absolutely get on the plane home. They have no problems with this situation.

So, my question is - is there a chance he could get a fine when we fly back into Vancouver next week? Will customs give him a hard time at the airport? We've looked at flying into Bellingham and then having me go pick him up, but seeing as things are so last minute, this will be about an extra $600 at this point. We are also considering cancelling...

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
4tomic said:
CIC seems to indicate it would be illegal for him to return to Canada without his PR card.
This generic statement is false. Even on their webpage, CIC states that you can return to Canada using your COPR if cross by land in a private vehicle from the US, even if non-visa exempt.

If visa-exempt, you can cross on the strength of your visa-exempt passport. I was even told this by CIC officials when I had to give up my PR card after I became a citizen (but didn't apply for my Canadian passport yet).

Every experience I have read regarding visa-exempt citizens have been positive. They were able to board the plane without issue and once arrived in Canada, immigration officials were able to look them up in the system and let them through.

4tomic

Feb 19, 2014
Thanks keesio. This is good news.

We're still quite worried about a fine though? Some guy at the immigration office kept threatening a fine - but he didn't know my spouse was from the US - I think he was referring to anyone trying to enter Canada from a non-visa exempt country, without a visa. Anyone heard of a fine?

Thanks for the info!

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Yes, all the information on the CIC webpages seems to be geared towards non-exempt citizens. The purpose of the PR card is to prove to commercial carries (airlines, trains, buses, etc) that you are Canadian PR. The reason why they care is because if they allow a person who does not have the proper means (visa, residency ,etc) to enter Canada, then they are responsible for transporting them back (which will cost the commercial carrier $$$). So they want to make sure you are allowed in the country and want you to show them proof. If you are from a visa-exempt country, then that is usually enough because the proof is your passport from a visa-exempt country. Some airlines are more strict than others and may question you even though you are visa-exempt. But seems like that is a very rare occurrence. And if that happens, someone on this forum suggested that you can buy a return ticket on the spot so that if you do get rejected, the cost is on you to come back, not the airline. Then they will let you board. And once in Canada, you can cancel your ticket. I'm not sure if airlines give this same leeway regarding the return ticket to non-visa exempt nationals. It sounds like they only will do this for visa-exempt national without a PR card.

CBSA doesn't have to see the PR card because they can look you up in the system and confirm you are indeed a PR. An airline can't.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. CBSA doesn't fine PRs who show up at the border without a valid PR Card.

2. Airlines can and do give a pass on the PR Card requirement for travel to Canada where the PR holds a visitor visa exempt (VVE) passport.

3. The issue for 2 tends to be when you are flying one way with destination Canada or the return leg of a round trip. The airlines are on the hook if you as a passenger gets bounced at the border to pay for your to be returned to your departure point in addition to other fines by CBSA. Airline doesn't know you are a PR unless you tell them. Most airlines don't sweat this again for VVE passports - they prefer to take the hit on the fines if they do happen as opposed to losing the business you are bringing...margins are slim in the business and its all about rears on sits!

MARIBR

Nov 13, 2013
Hello! I have a Q about this subject too!
I am going to Canada for only one week (as a tourist but without a tourist visa). This trip was planned before getting my PR visa. I am a bit confused about what documents I should bring with me on this 1st entry. Also, the permission on my passport is valid for only one entry. I guess I wont be able to apply for a PR card while I am there...
What will happen when I return for settling? Will this trip be valid as the first entry I should do in one year after the medical exams? I cant find enough useful information at CIC's website. Could someone help? Thank you!

kimosabe

Star Member
Feb 11, 2014
MARIBR said:
Hello! I have a Q about this subject too!
I am going to Canada for only one week (as a tourist but without a tourist visa). This trip was planned before getting my PR visa. I am a bit confused about what documents I should bring with me on this 1st entry. Also, the permission on my passport is valid for only one entry. I guess I wont be able to apply for a PR card while I am there...
What will happen when I return for settling? Will this trip be valid as the first entry I should do in one year after the medical exams? I cant find enough useful information at CIC's website. Could someone help? Thank you!
Visting Canada as a tourist and Landing in Canada as an immigrant are not the same. The process is different for each scenario. If you have the means to do one or the other, it's really up to you how you will present yourself at the border to the immigration officer.

4tomic

Feb 19, 2014
Thanks for the help everyone!

We just got home from our trip and my American spouse had no trouble boarding the Vancouver bound plane in Hawaii (WestJet was the airline). Customs at the Vancouver airport was easy too - the customs officer waved us through with just a few questions!