+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

V1 visa vs S1 visa for returning to Canada from India

Freecanman

Star Member
Oct 19, 2021
Hello everyone, I have a very weird issue where I have two TRVs and the S1 TRV has expired, but my V1 TRV is still valid until the end of 2025. I got the V1 TRV back in 2017, and my S1 back in 2021. I was wondering if I will face any issue when leaving India to travel back to canada internationally. I have already talked to canadian immigration and they said there is no issues to enter Canada as long as I have a valid V1 visa and a valid study permit.

My issue is that the immigration officers in India (Delhi Airport) might cause problems when I tell them that my purpose of visit to Canada is studying but then my S1 student visa is expired. I am worried if they will have the patience for me to explain that as long as I have a V1 visitor visa and a valid study permit, I should be allowed to enter Canada. I am worried that they will send me back because of my purpose of visit and my invalid S1 student visa. Has anyone else experienced this? Please share your experiences of having a valid study permit and a valid V1 visa.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hello everyone, I have a very weird issue where I have two TRVs and the S1 TRV has expired, but my V1 TRV is still valid until the end of 2025. I got the V1 TRV back in 2017, and my S1 back in 2021. I was wondering if I will face any issue when leaving India to travel back to canada internationally. I have already talked to canadian immigration and they said there is no issues to enter Canada as long as I have a valid V1 visa and a valid study permit.

My issue is that the immigration officers in India (Delhi Airport) might cause problems when I tell them that my purpose of visit to Canada is studying but then my S1 student visa is expired. I am worried if they will have the patience for me to explain that as long as I have a V1 visitor visa and a valid study permit, I should be allowed to enter Canada. I am worried that they will send me back because of my purpose of visit and my invalid S1 student visa. Has anyone else experienced this? Please share your experiences of having a valid study permit and a valid V1 visa.
The key word here is VALID visa which is what you said IRCC or CBSA said, did you ask if your V1 is still valid? I believe you can only have 1 valid TRV at a time. If your S1 visa was issued after the V1 then it would cancel the V1 visa. Now your S1 has expired so you have to confirm that you still have a valid visa before traveling.

Freecanman

Star Member
Oct 19, 2021
The key word here is VALID visa which is what you said IRCC or CBSA said, did you ask if your V1 is still valid? I believe you can only have 1 valid TRV at a time. If your S1 visa was issued after the V1 then it would cancel the V1 visa. Now your S1 has expired so you have to confirm that you still have a valid visa before traveling.
You are completely wrong about having only one TRV active at a time and that the other has been canceled. Nowhere on their website does it say that a V1 visa gets cancelled upon getting an S1, W1, etc. where are you getting this information from?

I did end up calling them and they confirmed that it doesn’t work like that. So how did you come to this conclusion hmm?

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
You are completely wrong about having only one TRV active at a time and that the other has been canceled. Nowhere on their website does it say that a V1 visa gets cancelled upon getting an S1, W1, etc. where are you getting this information from?

I did end up calling them and they confirmed that it doesn’t work like that. So how did you come to this conclusion hmm?
It is good that you called to confirm you V1 is still valid. Traveling on a V1 visa to enter as a student is not a problem as long as your study permit is still valid as you say it is. Have a safe trip.

Last edited:
Reactions: Freecanman

Freecanman

Star Member
Oct 19, 2021
It is good that you called to confirm you V1 is still valid. Traveling on a V1 visa to enter as a student is not a problem as long as your study permit is still valid as you say it is. Have a safe trip.
Thank you! I’m still curious though. Why did you say the thing about the previous TRV getting cancelled?

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Thank you! I’m still curious though. Why did you say the thing about the previous TRV getting cancelled?
I have personal knowledge of it happening twice. After searching a bit I couldn't find anywhere it says that you can have two visas and as you said, nowhere does it say you can't. I also saw that they didn't even have to give you a S1 visa when you're SP was issued, you're existing V1 would have been fine. So it was from the personal experience that I said I didn't "believe" you could have 2 valid ones at once.

Reactions: Freecanman

Freecanman

Star Member
Oct 19, 2021
I have personal knowledge of it happening twice. After searching a bit I couldn't find anywhere it says that you can have two visas and as you said, nowhere does it say you can't. I also saw that they didn't even have to give you a S1 visa when you're SP was issued, you're existing V1 would have been fine. So it was from the personal experience that I said I didn't "believe" you could have 2 valid ones at once.
Ahh I see. Can you please share your personal knowledge? What is both V1 visas that were issued or was it one S1 and one v1? Just checking if its a similar case. Do you mind sharing the story?

Chirag31

Oct 4, 2023
Did indian immigration ask anything ? I’m assuming the Canadian border services just saw your study permit?