+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

V-1 visa 6months requirement

emrulh

Mar 18, 2013
My mom got a V1 multiple entry visa expiring in 2.5 years but the maximum stay for every time she enters Canada is 6months. Now it's almost 5 months she is in Canada and there is no way she can travel to far because of health condition. I can "drive" her to U.S. (with a US visa, she has one) and re-enter Canada. Will it satisfy the maximum 6months stay rule? Or does she need to go back to her home country and re-enter to satisfy the maximum 6months stay? Thanks for your prompt reply.

onkarsharan

Apr 21, 2017
United Arab Emirates
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
22-07-2017
Doc's Request.
30-07-2017
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
22-07-2017
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Done....
09-05-2017
Passport Req..
31-08-2017
VISA ISSUED...
25-10-2017
LANDED..........
01-05.2018
My mom got a V1 multiple entry visa expiring in 2.5 years but the maximum stay for every time she enters Canada is 6months. Now it's almost 5 months she is in Canada and there is no way she can travel to far because of health condition. I can "drive" her to U.S. (with a US visa, she has one) and re-enter Canada. Will it satisfy the maximum 6months stay rule? Or does she need to go back to her home country and re-enter to satisfy the maximum 6months stay? Thanks for your prompt reply.
Driving to US and coming back is perfectly fyn.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
There is no guarantee that your mother will get another 6 month stay just by exiting to the US and coming back in even less so if CBSA think she is potentially living in the country.

For longer stays there is an expectation of getting a super visa for parents or wanting to extend stay from within Canada then there is a specific process for that which does not involve leaving the country at all plus an applicant is on implied status until a decision made.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/extend-stay.html

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Agreed with the above. Driving to the border is risky. Apply to extend her stay.

emrulh

Mar 18, 2013
There is no guarantee that your mother will get another 6 month stay just by exiting to the US and coming back in even less so if CBSA think she is potentially living in the country.

For longer stays there is an expectation of getting a super visa for parents or wanting to extend stay from within Canada then there is a specific process for that which does not involve leaving the country at all plus an applicant is on implied status until a decision made.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/extend-stay.html
I think I was not clear. Her multiple visa expires on 30th July 2020. She landed here on 26th January 2017. Based on that she should not living here for more than May 26th 2018 at a time (max 6 months stay at a time). I heard people are driving to US and coming back and that is working. Just wanted to confirm with very experienced and helpful canadavisa folks here :) Let me know. Thanks.

emrulh

Mar 18, 2013
Agreed with the above. Driving to the border is risky. Apply to extend her stay.
I think I was not clear. Her multiple visa expires on 30th July 2020. She landed here on 26th January 2017. Based on that she should not living here for more than May 26th 2018 at a time (max 6 months stay at a time). I heard people are driving to US and coming back and that is working. Just wanted to confirm with very experienced and helpful canadavisa folks here :) Let me know. Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You were 100% clear. Doing a border run is risky and has a lower chance of approval than extending her status from within Canada.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
A multiple entry visa assumes that the holder will leave Canada at the end of their authorised stay, return home for a while often for same period they stayed in Canada before returning.

So whilst you could exit the country to the US and come back in straight away there is no guarantee at all of getting a fresh 6 month stay especially if you are faced with a CBSA officer who believes your mother is no longer just visiting temporarily.

This is why the advice on here is to use the extend stay as a visitor process without leaving the country at all given whilst there is stil no guarantee it would be far less risky than leaving the country given processed by IRCC not CBSA at the border.

Ultimately the decision is yours to take and whilst some will say it is not an issue to do a border run everybody who enters Canada is assessed at the border as an individual, there is no one assessment or outcome that fits everyone. Avoid the stress and use the extend stay as a visitor option, your mother even gets implied status whilst waiting for a decision and if doesn’t work then go for the exit/entry option.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Now it's almost 5 months she is in Canada and there is no way she can travel to far because of health condition.
Keep in mind, that with an extension, she will probably require a medical. If she is having health issues in Canada now, that may be reason to refuse the extension. As with everyone else, a border run is risky.

Reactions: Bryanna