+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Using RTD after you apply for Citizinship

simple2000

Feb 19, 2019
Hi guys,
Can I renew my RTD after I applied for citizenship? or once you applied for Citizenship you have to wait for Canadian passport? thank you

simple2000

Feb 19, 2019
Can I renew it after applying for citizenship, it will expire next month and Will apply for citizenship in 5 months? thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
yes you can renew it, provided you are yet to apply for citizenship
As long as you haven’t become a Canadian citizen you can apply for an RTD. It is taking over a year to get citizenship so many will need a valid travel document during the citizenship application process.

Reactions: simple2000

Mtl123

Jul 21, 2022
Hi guys,

I’m in a somewhat similar situation and was wondering if you could help clarify for me.

I currently have my refugee travel document, I have my citizenship ceremony date set for July 28, and I am set to travel August 22 (purchased ticket). Any chance I can use my RTD with my citizenship certificate to travel? Or do I absolutely need my Canadian passport?

I have a passport office appointment for August 9 but I’m scared I won’t get my citizenship certificate in time to present it at the passport office.

Any insights/ advice is appreciated.
Thank you!

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hi guys,

I’m in a somewhat similar situation and was wondering if you could help clarify for me.

I currently have my refugee travel document, I have my citizenship ceremony date set for July 28, and I am set to travel August 22 (purchased ticket). Any chance I can use my RTD with my citizenship certificate to travel? Or do I absolutely need my Canadian passport?

I have a passport office appointment for August 9 but I’m scared I won’t get my citizenship certificate in time to present it at the passport office.

Any insights/ advice is appreciated.
Thank you!
You may consider changing you travel arrangement ... once you receive your Citizenship Certificate you no longer have protected status, You lose your Protected Status after becoming a Citizen, among others. You are not supposed to use RTD after becoming a Citizen, and you will need to use Canadian Passport to travel back

Reactions: canuck78