+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Using my national passport as resettled refugee

Shantder

Jun 20, 2018
Please do anyone can help ?
As a resettled refugee with PR , is it forbidden to use my national passport before it expires ? I know i can't renew it or return with it to home country, is it clearly stated in the law that using my national passport will have negative effects to my status and compromise everything until getting the citizenship ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
As a resettled refugee with PR , is it forbidden to use my national passport before it expires ? I know i can't renew it or return with it to home country, is it clearly stated in the law that using my national passport will have negative effects to my status and compromise everything until getting the citizenship ?
http://ccrweb.ca/sites/ccrweb.ca/files/cessation-report-2014.pdf

The government is making cessation applications based on the fact that a person:

 Travelled to their country of origin (even for a short visit, possibly many years ago).
 Applied for a new passport from the country of origin (in some cases simply in order to comply with Canadian government instructions to applicants for permanent residence).
Used their passport from the country of origin to travel to a third country.

Reactions: zardoz and Shantder

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Another reference from the same site : http://ccrweb.ca/en/cessation-basic-information

Actions that may put you at risk
CBSA may argue that you have accepted the protection of your home country if you:

• Travel to your home country (even for a short visit).
  • Travel using the passport of your home country.
  • Apply for a new passport from your home country.
CBSA may make these arguments against you even if you have lived in Canada for many years.

The logic of this being that if you are refused entry at your destination, you would be returned to the country for which you are in possession of a travel document (passport). Therefore, you are prepared to accept that as a potential destination.

Reactions: Shantder and scylla

Shantder

Jun 20, 2018
Another reference from the same site : http://ccrweb.ca/en/cessation-basic-information

Actions that may put you at risk
CBSA may argue that you have accepted the protection of your home country if you:

• Travel to your home country (even for a short visit).
  • Travel using the passport of your home country.
  • Apply for a new passport from your home country.
CBSA may make these arguments against you even if you have lived in Canada for many years.

The logic of this being that if you are refused entry at your destination, you would be returned to the country for which you are in possession of a travel document (passport). Therefore, you are prepared to accept that as a potential destination.
Thank you so much
You answered clearly with dependable references

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you need a travel document there is somethinf called a refugee travel document that you can obtain until you qualify for citizenship.