VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
You're welcome! :)

Ryissa

Star Member
Aug 12, 2012
Oh yes, one more question since I can't get it answered in another thread. What happens to the VR if I leave Canada before the date it expires and then come back? Since I don't yet have health coverage in Canada I keep having to go back to the US for medical care. Someone said every time I enter Canada it's a "new entry" but that just kind of confused me more. Is my VR still okay to use or no? ???

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Ryissa said:
Oh yes, one more question since I can't get it answered in another thread. What happens to the VR if I leave Canada before the date it expires and then come back? Since I don't yet have health coverage in Canada I keep having to go back to the US for medical care. Someone said every time I enter Canada it's a "new entry" but that just kind of confused me more. Is my VR still okay to use or no? ???
Unless the IO makes you get a new passport stamp or VR, keep it and use it. If you're frequently in and out of Canada, though, you can get a new stamp for each entry and not worry about maintaining a VR unless you get close to expiration and can't get the border.

Ryissa

Star Member
Aug 12, 2012
amikety said:
Unless the IO makes you get a new passport stamp or VR, keep it and use it. If you're frequently in and out of Canada, though, you can get a new stamp for each entry and not worry about maintaining a VR unless you get close to expiration and can't get the border.
Ahhh, this makes so much sense now, thank you! Funny enough I've only had my passport stamped when I got the VR, ha.

I do plan on filing an extension, but I hope that me being unemployed because of disability won't bar me from one. I do occasionally help my father with his hobby business but that's not officially employment. It's just more of me doing favors for him! :p

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Ryissa said:
Ahhh, this makes so much sense now, thank you! Funny enough I've only had my passport stamped when I got the VR, ha.

I do plan on filing an extension, but I hope that me being unemployed because of disability won't bar me from one. I do occasionally help my father with his hobby business but that's not officially employment. It's just more of me doing favors for him! :p
Btw, can't you continue to claim disability-SSI while living in a foreign country?

Ryissa

Star Member
Aug 12, 2012
amikety said:
Btw, can't you continue to claim disability-SSI while living in a foreign country?
As far as I know, no. In fact I think all my benefits go away once I actually start living up here even on a VR. So once we submit my immigration application and get further proof that we're indeed applying my husband is going to try and claim me as a dependent on his extended insurance since it looks like that's possible after all.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
I think it depends on which government agency you're getting benefits from, because at least one of them does still pay you. Or at least did a few years ago. I had a friend that was retired military that got disability living in South America. His disability wasn't military related, although the military part might be why he got them outside the US...... oh well.

Benefits usually won't cover a patient unless he or she is already covered by provincial healthcare. I say usually because ours never bothered to make sure I had provincial healthcare! Whether or not you can get provincial healthcare depends on where you live, of course.

Ryissa

Star Member
Aug 12, 2012
amikety said:
I think it depends on which government agency you're getting benefits from, because at least one of them does still pay you. Or at least did a few years ago. I had a friend that was retired military that got disability living in South America. His disability wasn't military related, although the military part might be why he got them outside the US...... oh well.
Yeah, unfortunately I did remember reading if I'm out of the country more than 30 days I'm not eligible to be paid, so that's how it'll be most likely.

I did read something on this extension form I wanted to clarify! The two options I'm flip-flopping between are choosing "extension of existing temporary resident status" or "initial temporary resident permit or extension of temporary resident permit." My VR slip here isn't a temporary resident permit is it? If not I'll just go with the "initial temporary resident permit etc." option yeah?

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
It's an extension. A VR is TRV for visa exempt. ;)