+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

USA visa with Canadian RTD without PR

Askhar131

Star Member
Dec 20, 2020
Has anyone successfully been granted a B1/B2 USA visa with only the Refugee Travel Document while not yet in possession of their Canadian PR?

Reactions: luckyrefugee

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
is there any chance for those who came from US through Roxham road and get US visa??
It is tricky subject but you can only know that once you apply B1/B2 visa. How US know when someone exit the Country, is from information from official source, such as POE, Airlines. If you exit US through Roxham, then will know after Info Pool Query. But i guess exit for Asylum purpose shouldnt be an issue when you reapply, but it depends on VO processing your application. I saw this one from US CBP

There is no regulation that requires a traveler departing the U.S. to exit through an open port of entry staff with CBP Officers. However, if you are exporting goods from the U.S. (i.e. a car or vehicle) you are required to depart through a port of entry, so a CBP Officer can verify you are the owner of the vehicle. Also, if leaving the U.S. by land, both Mexico and Canada require you to enter their countries through official ports of entry, so although you will not necessarily be breaking U.S. law to exit the U.S. anywhere you wish, you will immediately run in conflict with Mexican or Canadian law if you do not enter through a legal port of entry.

Prior to leaving the U.S., you should consult with the country you are traveling to ensure you met all of their entry requirements.

Reactions: Faisalkhan555

Faisalkhan555

Apr 14, 2020
It is tricky subject but you can only know that once you apply B1/B2 visa. How US know when someone exit the Country, is from information from official source, such as POE, Airlines. If you exit US through Roxham, then will know after Info Pool Query. But i guess exit for Asylum purpose shouldnt be an issue when you reapply, but it depends on VO processing your application. I saw this one from US CBP

There is no regulation that requires a traveler departing the U.S. to exit through an open port of entry staff with CBP Officers. However, if you are exporting goods from the U.S. (i.e. a car or vehicle) you are required to depart through a port of entry, so a CBP Officer can verify you are the owner of the vehicle. Also, if leaving the U.S. by land, both Mexico and Canada require you to enter their countries through official ports of entry, so although you will not necessarily be breaking U.S. law to exit the U.S. anywhere you wish, you will immediately run in conflict with Mexican or Canadian law if you do not enter through a legal port of entry.

Prior to leaving the U.S., you should consult with the country you are traveling to ensure you met all of their entry requirements.
Thank you so much for your detailed response in my case i came as a student to the US and did not overstay my visa and came to Canada through roxham road and claimed refugee now i have PR and wondering if i can get a US visa as my fiancee is in US and i want to visit her

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Thank you so much for your detailed response in my case i came as a student to the US and did not overstay my visa and came to Canada through roxham road and claimed refugee now i have PR and wondering if i can get a US visa as my fiancee is in US and i want to visit her
I think there are two issues, overstay and exit through unofficial border point. You did not overstay but you exit through unofficial border of which you did not violate any Immigration regulation, so If i were in your position, i would apply.

Faisalkhan555

Apr 14, 2020
I think there are two issues, overstay and exit through unofficial border point. You did not overstay but you exit through unofficial border of which you did not violate any Immigration regulation, so If i were in your position, i would apply.
Thank You so much i have applied for my Travel document and waiting for them to process so i can apply for US visa and see what are my chances

Reactions: Simba112

luckyrefugee

Mar 5, 2019
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
CPC missisuaga
App. Filed.......
10-12-2019
AOR Received.
26-11-2020
Med's Request
19-04-2021
Med's Done....
19-04-2021
LANDED..........
21-04-2021
Has anyone successfully been granted a B1/B2 USA visa with only the Refugee Travel Document while not yet in possession of their Canadian PR?
yes i have a visa on RTD

Reactions: Askhar131

farsxp

Apr 19, 2019
Thank You so much i have applied for my Travel document and waiting for them to process so i can apply for US visa and see what are my chances
Wait time for an appointment is 2 years. Good luck with getting a US visa. Might as well wait to get your citizenship. Less hardship.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
The other issue is that the US State Department the people who issues visas get upset when they are told that someone is just coming to the US to visit , but then use that to claim asylum in Canada .

Whiskey2020

Apr 8, 2020
Hey,
Is your RTD valid for 2 years?
Did you get a 5 year US visa?
Oh get you, I don't think they will give you more than your expiration date on RTD. And I will be interested to see if you get a visa without the PR, because I have family back in state and I wanted to apply for the RTD visa without PR but I don't know if they will give me. I was once a Refugee in USA so I think that will even make it harder.