+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Usa visa from canada

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
It’s possible but the State Department advises against this. Still best to apply from her home country.

Note that US consulates in Canada may also have longer waiting times for an interview appointment.

Reactions: Bryanna

unlucky_chaser

Star Member
Sep 1, 2015
It’s possible but the State Department advises against this. Still best to apply from her home country.

Note that US consulates in Canada may also have longer waiting times for an interview appointment.
Interesting. A little off topic question, if I may:

Say someone already in the US need to renew a visa (e.g. student) and have enough time in their current visa. Can they apply for the new visa and only go to Canada for the interview?

The US usually returns the passport in < 1 week from the interview so the stay in Canada will be less than that...I wonder if anyone did that reliably?

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Interesting. A little off topic question, if I may:

Say someone already in the US need to renew a visa (e.g. student) and have enough time in their current visa. Can they apply for the new visa and only go to Canada for the interview?

The US usually returns the passport in < 1 week from the interview so the stay in Canada will be less than that...I wonder if anyone did that reliably?
I don’t have an answer to your question, but I vaguely remember someone here wanting to apply for a TRV to do exactly that. I think the rest of us agreed it’s not a good reason to apply for a TRV. But since in your case, the applicant already has a TRV, I’ll only say proceed with caution. One of those “it’s allowed but frowned upon” scenarios.

unlucky_chaser

Star Member
Sep 1, 2015
I don’t have an answer to your question, but I vaguely remember someone here wanting to apply for a TRV to do exactly that. I think the rest of us agreed it’s not a good reason to apply for a TRV. But since in your case, the applicant already has a TRV, I’ll only say proceed with caution. One of those “it’s allowed but frowned upon” scenarios.
Hahaha well put. I do not actually need to go (current visa stamp has years and years in it), but I'm just wondering in case things change...knowledge is always good :)