+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

USA study visa from Canada or my home country?

haris00

Aug 15, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13th Oct,2016
Doc's Request.
Med's Request
24th Oct,2016
Med's Done....
3rd Nov, 2016 (passed on 11th Nov, 2016)
Passport Req..
21-11-2016
VISA ISSUED...
25-11-2016
I am from Pakistan and I got the Canadian study Visa (and my course starts in january 2017)

However, I also got admission in a USA university (which also starts Jan 2017) which is a better university and also it's 100% scholarship.

Now, I need to apply for USA visa. But I am confused as to where should I apply from. Should I apply from within Pakistan OR should I first come to Canada and then apply for USA study visa. In the latter case, the chances of visa increases as the application is lodged from within Canada whereas in the former case, the case would be more simple and straightforward. Which course of action should I take?

Seniors, please advise.

Thank you

haris00

Aug 15, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13th Oct,2016
Doc's Request.
Med's Request
24th Oct,2016
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
21-11-2016
VISA ISSUED...
25-11-2016
@scylla
???

kamal1334

Star Member
Oct 26, 2015
Niagara Falls
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
N/A
If you are looking to settle in after finishing your studies,I'd suggest Canada because there you will have the option of getting a permanent resident status whereas in the US the chances of you staying in there after finishing your studies are quite low as the immigration laws are more strict. Hope that made sense.
P.S I did not quite get the scholarship thing you said, do you have 100% scholarship for both universities or in one of them? If it's in one ,then of course I'd go with the scholarship one.

haris00

Aug 15, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13th Oct,2016
Doc's Request.
Med's Request
24th Oct,2016
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
21-11-2016
VISA ISSUED...
25-11-2016
kamal1334 said:
If you are looking to settle in after finishing your studies,I'd suggest Canada because there you will have the option of getting a permanent resident status whereas in the US the chances of you staying in there after finishing your studies are quite low as the immigration laws are more strict. Hope that made sense.
P.S I did not quite get the scholarship thing you said, do you have 100% scholarship for both universities or in one of them? If it's in one ,then of course I'd go with the scholarship one.
Thanks for the reply Kamal.

Scholarship is in USA, Not in Canada.

I have already decided to go for USA. But my question is that where should I apply USA study visa from i.e. Canada or Pakistan (my home country)?
I have the Canadian study visa already. So i was thinking that I go to Canada, stay there for about 10 days and then apply for US study visa. The reason for doing that is because the chances are that the Visa Officers in Canada maybe more lenient than in Pakistan.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It's typically always better to apply from your home country.

However you'd be best off asking your question on a US immigration forum.

haris00

Aug 15, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13th Oct,2016
Doc's Request.
Med's Request
24th Oct,2016
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
21-11-2016
VISA ISSUED...
25-11-2016
scylla said:
It's typically always better to apply from your home country.

However you'd be best off asking your question on a US immigration forum.
any web link to a US immigration forum?

kamal1334

Star Member
Oct 26, 2015
Niagara Falls
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
N/A
Oh sorry, I misunderstood your question. I'd suggest applying from your home country since you may need additional documents when applying and getting them from pakistan to canada may take a while. I do get that you think that you may have better chances applying from canada but in my opinion your chances will stay the same because you already have the canadian visa and that's what they look more instead of the location when applying. There is also the interview and the fact that if you apply from back home you will know where to go to do the specific things whereas in canada you will have to look everything up and the process will definitely be more complicated there. I hope I made sense. Lastly,if you have the option to go to the nearest U.S embassy,you should go there and tell them your details,I'm sure they will provide a much better insight.

(us immigration forum)-> http://www.immihelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php/22-Students-Visa-(F-M) <- This is the best I could find right now,hope it helps.

haris00

Aug 15, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13th Oct,2016
Doc's Request.
Med's Request
24th Oct,2016
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
21-11-2016
VISA ISSUED...
25-11-2016
kamal1334 said:
Oh sorry, I misunderstood your question. I'd suggest applying from your home country since you may need additional documents when applying and getting them from pakistan to canada may take a while. I do get that you think may have better chances applying from canada but in my opinion your chances will stay the same because you already have the canadian visa and that's what they look more instead of the location when applying. There is also the interview and the fact that if you apply from back home you will know where to go to do the specific things whereas in canada you will have to look everything up and the process will definitely be more complicated there. I hope I made sense. Lastly,if you have the option to go to the nearest U.S embassy,you should go there and tell them your details,I'm sure they will provide a much better insight.

(us immigration forum)-> http://www.immihelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php/22-Students-Visa-(F-M) <- This is the best I could find right now,hope it helps.
Thank you :)