+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

USA IRA, ROTH, 401K & possible move to Canada

mauserfan

Apr 1, 2013
Good evening and Happy New Year to all. I have read a lot of posts to gain some clarification on my potential situation but could not attain it, so here it is: I have an offer to move myself, and my family(Wife & 3 children) to Canada to work for a Canadian company. I plan to apply for & attain Canadian Citizenship for us all and retire in Canada - all within 6 to 10 years.

1) How will my US IRA & ROTH IRA be taxed?
2) How will my US Social Security be taxed?
3) Taxation wise, would it be more beneficial to simply move back to the US after retiring, and NOT become Citizens of Canada?
4) Should/can we just remain residents -not citizens- of Canada?

It appears that there can be a lot of US/Canada taxation items at play...hence the need to clarify before we move.

Thank you all in advance for your help. Have a great New Year......Mauser :)

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mauserfan said:
Good evening and Happy New Year to all. I have read a lot of posts to gain some clarification on my potential situation but could not attain it, so here it is: I have an offer to move myself, and my family(Wife & 3 children) to Canada to work for a Canadian company. I plan to apply for & attain Canadian Citizenship for us all and retire in Canada - all within 6 to 10 years.

1) How will my US IRA & ROTH IRA be taxed?
2) How will my US Social Security be taxed?
3) Taxation wise, would it be more beneficial to simply move back to the US after retiring, and NOT become Citizens of Canada?
4) Should/can we just remain residents -not citizens- of Canada?

It appears that there can be a lot of US/Canada taxation items at play...hence the need to clarify before we move.

Thank you all in advance for your help. Have a great New Year......Mauser :)
I doubt anyone here can answer your questions. You need to consult with a US CPA.

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
No. 4: Yes, you can remain a resident for the rest of your life. Citizenship is not a must, but a privilege. All you have to do is fulfill the residency criteria. Just remember, you cannot vote.