+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

USA FL driver license swap!

WhiteWalker89

Aug 29, 2017
Good evening everyone!!

First of all, I am aware this topic has been discussed at length on this forums however I have not been able to find an exact answer. Maybe someone who has gone trough the process could help guide me in the right direction. I need to swap my FL driver license for an Ontario G license, from the official Ontario website it explains I qualify for the exchange program.

"You can exchange an out-of-province licence for an Ontario licence, if you are re-locating from:
Any Canadian province or territory
Canadian Armed Forces
U.S. States
Australia, Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Great Britain, the Isle of Man, Japan, Korea, New Zealand, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Switzerland, Taiwan"

However it mentions I can only self declare one year of driving experience without any documentation, I have been driving for much longer than that, with a one year experience I could only acquire the G1 license, at the least I would need the full G license. but to obtain the G license it explains.

"You can self-declare one year of driving experience, by showing a valid, original foreign driver’s licence. If you want to earn credit for more than one year of driving experience, you will also need an official letter from the foreign government or agency that issued the driver’s licence, confirming that the licence is authentic. This letter needs to be written in English or French."

Here comes my actual question, the official letter requirement is a little vague on the explanation. Do they require a letter from the DMV? or any other state or federal agency? Are they looking for a DL history report? I am confused as to what official document and from what source they require it to make it valid.

Thanks,

Warm regards,

Samoinp

May 30, 2017
Good evening everyone!!

First of all, I am aware this topic has been discussed at length on this forums however I have not been able to find an exact answer. Maybe someone who has gone trough the process could help guide me in the right direction. I need to swap my FL driver license for an Ontario G license, from the official Ontario website it explains I qualify for the exchange program.

"You can exchange an out-of-province licence for an Ontario licence, if you are re-locating from:
Any Canadian province or territory
Canadian Armed Forces
U.S. States
Australia, Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Great Britain, the Isle of Man, Japan, Korea, New Zealand, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Switzerland, Taiwan"

However it mentions I can only self declare one year of driving experience without any documentation, I have been driving for much longer than that, with a one year experience I could only acquire the G1 license, at the least I would need the full G license. but to obtain the G license it explains.

"You can self-declare one year of driving experience, by showing a valid, original foreign driver’s licence. If you want to earn credit for more than one year of driving experience, you will also need an official letter from the foreign government or agency that issued the driver’s licence, confirming that the licence is authentic. This letter needs to be written in English or French."

Here comes my actual question, the official letter requirement is a little vague on the explanation. Do they require a letter from the DMV? or any other state or federal agency? Are they looking for a DL history report? I am confused as to what official document and from what source they require it to make it valid.

Thanks,

Warm regards,
Yes from DMV. CA DMV gave one for 5 USD.
Make photo copies of it, helps with insurance too.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
They are looking for a document from DMV that shows first issue date and subsequent renewals of license. Also please note that Service Ontario website is misleading. In Ontario, most license related matters are dealt with in Drive test centers ( only exception is one Service Ontario center close to downtown which is authorized to do DL related transactions) and here is the relevant link from Drive Test.

https://drivetest.ca/licences/licence-exchanges/licence-exchanges-cars-small-trucks-and-vans.html

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
They are looking for a document from DMV that shows first issue date and subsequent renewals of license. Also please note that Service Ontario website is misleading. In Ontario, most license related matters are dealt with in Drive test centers ( only exception is one Service Ontario center close to downtown which is authorized to do DL related transactions) and here is the relevant link from Drive Test.

https://drivetest.ca/licences/licence-exchanges/licence-exchanges-cars-small-trucks-and-vans.html
Two things we did in Michigan:
1. The official printout from local SOS about current driver "record/status", which showed that current DL was issued more that 2 years ago and the driver's clear record as well. Also we had in hands previous expired DL.
2. The official request by mail to Michigan SOS (To Lansing, MI in our case) about driving history. That report showed that the first Michigan DL was issued in 2002. That report was also provided to Service Ontario, but also greatly helped to lower Auto insurance premium with insurance agency, since it proved >16 years of driver experience...

Jimoftime

Jan 22, 2019
Yes from DMV. CA DMV gave one for 5 USD.
Make photo copies of it, helps with insurance too.
do you know if other docs are needed in order to make the exchange ? the official website doesn't say anything about proof of address, utility bills, anything like that ?
Thank you

Last edited:

Samoinp

May 30, 2017
do you know if other docs are need in order to make the exchange ? the official website doesn't say anything about proof of address, utility bills, anything like that ?
Thank you
Nope, just the abstract and original USA license with an eye test.
You do have to give them a local address for them to mail in Ontario G license.

Reactions: Alex54321

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Nope, just the abstract and original USA license with an eye test.
You do have to give them a local address for them to mail in Ontario G license.
Yes, I've browsed website, they just mention "...When you move to Ontario..." and I do not see hard requirement to actually proof of address, but their logical question would be what is your Canadian address?
Canadian address needed to put it in their system, to print on new Canadian DL and to finally mail you the card.

In our case we had with us closing documents with home address and a few recent utility bills.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
do you know if other docs are need in order to make the exchange ? the official website doesn't say anything about proof of address, utility bills, anything like that ?
Thank you
I exchanged my license yesterday. All I was asked for was PR card, US license and driving license abstracts. No proof of address, just verbal confirmation of address so that plastic card can be sent to address.

Reactions: Alex54321