+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

USA Citizen in need of HELP

lyne302

Oct 11, 2018
Hi I am a United States Citizen , I was born and raised in Miami, Florida. I am so confused about the process to relocate to Toronto Canada. I will be coming with my 2 children, right now I work at the hospital as a Medical Assistant and I am current in school to become an RN. (Registered Nurse) which I will be done by next year. However, I am so ready to just leave Florida and come to Canada, I had a private doctor call me for a position and he asked if I had a work permit. In Florida all I needed was my Social Security and ID or my birth Certificate to work , along with my diplomas, and certificate's. I allied for express entry and I received a letter stating that I was , " denied" because I don't have a language test.

I don't know what that means because English is my first language, this discouraged me so much because I am l am doing this by myself and I am frustrated because I don't know where or how to start. I have funds saved up for an apartment. I am waiting to put my truck and furniture for sale , because it will cost me a lot of money to transfer it to Toronto . I don't know what I have to do to receive a work permit and continue my education.

Can someone be so kind to help guide me please, I'd really appreciate it.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi I am a United States Citizen , I was born and raised in Miami, Florida. I am so confused about the process to relocate to Toronto Canada. I will be coming with my 2 children, right now I work at the hospital as a Medical Assistant and I am current in school to become an RN. (Registered Nurse) which I will be done by next year. However, I am so ready to just leave Florida and come to Canada, I had a private doctor call me for a position and he asked if I had a work permit. In Florida all I needed was my Social Security and ID or my birth Certificate to work , along with my diplomas, and certificate's. I allied for express entry and I received a letter stating that I was , " denied" because I don't have a language test.

I don't know what that means because English is my first language, this discouraged me so much because I am l am doing this by myself and I am frustrated because I don't know where or how to start. I have funds saved up for an apartment. I am waiting to put my truck and furniture for sale , because it will cost me a lot of money to transfer it to Toronto . I don't know what I have to do to receive a work permit and continue my education.

Can someone be so kind to help guide me please, I'd really appreciate it.
First of all, don't put your truck or furniture for sale yet. Moving to Canada takes time and it will most likely be a number of months before you are able to do so.

If you want to apply to immigrate (move to Canada permanently), then you must take a language test before applying. Taking a language test (either English or French) and having the result is mandatory. It doesn't matter if your first language is English. You must also have your education officially assessed and have the results of that assessment. Additionally, you must have at least one year of full time paid work experience in a skilled profession - and you must show you have enough money to establish yourself in Canada. For a family of three, this means you need to show a bank balance of around $19K. If you do want to focus on applying to immigrate, then I would recommend you spend time reading about the Express Entry program in detail so that you can understand what it will take to apply. Information is here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/works.html

If you are instead interested in moving to Canada to work temporarily, then you would have to obtain a work permit. To obtain a work permit, your employer in Canada must first obtain an approved LMIA so that you can then apply for a work permit. The LMIA process is something only the employer can do and it requires them to advertise the job for at least a month to prove no Canadian could be found for the role. Processing for the LMIA can often take 2-4 months. So your employer has to be prepared to be patient. There is also no guarantee of approval.

If you are attending school full time, then you may also qualify for the SWAP program which would give you a work permit without your employer having to apply for an LMIA first. The SWAP program is closed for this year - so the earliest you would be able to apply is sometime next year.

Note that in order to relocate your children to Canada, you will need the written consent of their other parent.

Last edited:
Reactions: lyne302

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You also might be eligible for NAFTA work permit (you need to check if your profession is on the list).

Please keep in mind that Canada is NOT (at least not at the moment) the 52 state of USA. Hence you will be treated as foreign citizen.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You will also need to get licensed to practice nursing in Ontario. Have you researched the cost of living in Canada and especially Toronto. Are your children young because daycare can cost $1800/month for each child. Many nurses work 12 hour shifts so you will have to consider childcare issues as a single parent. Not sure why you have decided to immigrate but think you need to do some more research and planning. Things like an apartment and furniture are such a small fraction of your issues. Have you paid off your truck if you want to import it? Is it compatible with Canadian safety standards. How did you apply already. Have you calculate how many points (CRS) you have and whether you hit the 47 point mark to qualify to apply for PR.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Have you calculate how many points (CRS) you have and whether you hit the 47 point mark to qualify to apply for PR.
Small correction... For Express Entry you need to have at least 67 points under the FSW points structure to qualify for the pool and 440 or more points under the CRS points system to be selected out of the pool.

Reactions: canuck78

lyne302

Oct 11, 2018
First of all, don't put your truck or furniture for sale yet. Moving to Canada takes time and it will most likely be a number of months before you are able to do so.

If you want to apply to immigrate (move to Canada permanently), then you must take a language test before applying. Taking a language test (either English or French) and having the result is mandatory. It doesn't matter if your first language is English. You must also have your education officially assessed and have the results of that assessment. Additionally, you must have at least one year of full time paid work experience in a skilled profession - and you must show you have enough money to establish yourself in Canada. For a family of three, this means you need to show a bank balance of around $19K. If you do want to focus on applying to immigrate, then I would recommend you spend time reading about the Express Entry program in detail so that you can understand what it will take to apply. Information is here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/works.html

If you are instead interested in moving to Canada to work temporarily, then you would have to obtain a work permit. To obtain a work permit, your employer in Canada must first obtain an approved LMIA so that you can then apply for a work permit. The LMIA process is something only the employer can do and it requires them to advertise the job for at least a month to prove no Canadian could be found for the role. Processing for the LMIA can often take 2-4 months. So your employer has to be prepared to be patient. There is also no guarantee of approval.

If you are attending school full time, then you may also qualify for the SWAP program which would give you a work permit without your employer having to apply for an LMIA first. The SWAP program is closed for this year - so the earliest you would be able to apply is sometime next year.

Note that in order to relocate your children to Canada, you will need the written consent of their other parent.
Thank you
Well I know for my son I have to ask the judge for him to relocation .

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The cost of living is much higher in Toronto than in the greater Miami area. You still have to finish your nursing education and get licensed in Ontario before you would be able to work. Moving countries in not like moving States. There is much more involved in the process. You need much more savings than just for a deposit for an apartment. You have 2 children so you need to be ultra prepared for a move to another country.

Ebs68

Oct 24, 2015
The cost of living is much higher in Toronto than in the greater Miami area. You still have to finish your nursing education and get licensed in Ontario before you would be able to work. Moving countries in not like moving States. There is much more involved in the process. You need much more savings than just for a deposit for an apartment. You have 2 children so you need to be ultra prepared for a move to another country.

Good night. I see you have given aome great suggestions. Would you be able to give some advice for an RN wanting to migrate from Jamaica?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Good night. I see you have given aome great suggestions. Would you be able to give some advice for an RN wanting to migrate from Jamaica?
You will have to look at some of the posts specifically on nursing. The key issue is being able to get licensed. Will also likely depend on your age.