+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

USA Citizen Husband, Visiting Canada Question

JackieJ

Aug 17, 2018
Hello
My USA Citizen Husband would like to visit me in Canada but can't get a USA Passport since what he owes to Child Support amount is over the alloweed amount they would issue one for him I know this as I looked it up.

I have called the Canada Border and they told me that he could "Use a Valid ID and his USA Citizen Birth Ceritifacte" Does anyone know if this is true or not?

In his state they just got an Enchanced ID but he would need a current bill in his name to get one which he doesn't have as they are all in his roommates name.

Also another question:

If I wanted to Sponor him to come to Canada I would need to be working correct and how would that work? Or can I even do that since we are legally married?

We were married in Jan.2017

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Reactions: EstherBarros

JackieJ

Aug 17, 2018
No - you don't need to be working to sponsor him to come to Canada. However he does have to have a valid passport. You cannot sponsor him for PR without a valid passport.

For information on what is required for your husband to visit Canada, see Entry & Exit requirements in the link below:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Canada.html
That's the USA Website not Canada's

Why would Canada Border tell me that "if he tries to Cross Canada Border it would to the officer to determine he is a USA Citizen with his valid ID and birth certificate"

I said "If they determine he is would he be able to cross with that?"

And I was told "Yes" I have asked two different Canada Border crossings this with the same answer.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
No - you don't need to be working to sponsor him to come to Canada. However he does have to have a valid passport. You cannot sponsor him for PR without a valid passport.

For information on what is required for your husband to visit Canada, see Entry & Exit requirements in the link below:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Canada.html
Entry into Canada: Canadian law requires that all persons entering Canada carry both proof of citizenship and proof of identity. A valid U.S. passport, passport card, or NEXUS card satisfies these requirements for U.S. citizens.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/td-dv-eng.html

When you enter Canada, a border services officer will ask to see your passport and a valid visa, if you are arriving from a country for which one is required. Visit the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website to learn more about what travel documents are required.

Citizens of the U.S. who are members of the NEXUS program may present their membership card to the CBSA as proof of identification and as a document that denotes citizenship, when arriving by air, land, or marine modes.

Citizens of the U.S. who are members of the FAST program may use their cards as proof of identity when arriving by land and marine modes only.

Permanent residents of the U.S. who are members of the NEXUS or FAST programs must travel with a passport and proof of permanent residence, and may be asked to present these documents to the officer upon arrival at the border.

Permanent residents of the U.S. who are members of NEXUS also need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) when flying to or transiting through Canada. Citizens of the U.S. and Canada are exempted.

All visitors arriving from or transiting through the U.S. are encouraged to visit the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website for information concerning the U.S. Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, and the requirements to enter or return to the U.S.

JackieJ

Aug 17, 2018
Entry into Canada: Canadian law requires that all persons entering Canada carry both proof of citizenship and proof of identity. A valid U.S. passport, passport card, or NEXUS card satisfies these requirements for U.S. citizens.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/td-dv-eng.html

When you enter Canada, a border services officer will ask to see your passport and a valid visa, if you are arriving from a country for which one is required. Visit the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website to learn more about what travel documents are required.

Citizens of the U.S. who are members of the NEXUS program may present their membership card to the CBSA as proof of identification and as a document that denotes citizenship, when arriving by air, land, or marine modes.

Citizens of the U.S. who are members of the FAST program may use their cards as proof of identity when arriving by land and marine modes only.

Permanent residents of the U.S. who are members of the NEXUS or FAST programs must travel with a passport and proof of permanent residence, and may be asked to present these documents to the officer upon arrival at the border.

Permanent residents of the U.S. who are members of NEXUS also need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) when flying to or transiting through Canada. Citizens of the U.S. and Canada are exempted.

All visitors arriving from or transiting through the U.S. are encouraged to visit the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website for information concerning the U.S. Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, and the requirements to enter or return to the U.S.

I just called Canada Border Services Agency of Toll-free
1-800-461-9999

I asked "My USA husband wants to come to Canada but can't get a passport what else could he cross with"

She told me quote "He could cross with a Birth certificate, Vaild drivers license, nexus card, fast card:

I asked "He has a Vaild Photo ID and Birth Certificate could he cross with that"

She said "Yes" I asked several times to make sure what she was telling me was right.

I asked "Would he have trouble at the Canada border being he has no passport?"

She said "No there is no requirement to have a Passport to come into Canada by land"

Last edited:

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
Hello
My USA Citizen Husband would like to visit me in Canada but can't get a USA Passport since what he owes to Child Support amount is over the alloweed amount they would issue one for him I know this as I looked it up.

I have called the Canada Border and they told me that he could "Use a Valid ID and his USA Citizen Birth Ceritifacte" Does anyone know if this is true or not?

In his state they just got an Enchanced ID but he would need a current bill in his name to get one which he doesn't have as they are all in his roommates name.

Also another question:

If I wanted to Sponor him to come to Canada I would need to be working correct and how would that work? Or can I even do that since we are legally married?

We were married in Jan.2017
He may have a difficult time getting back into the US after the visit. Certainly not impossible, but entry is restrictive for US citizens.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/3618/kw/Is citizen without a passport

Mort Sinclair

Star Member
Feb 27, 2018
I just called Canada Border Services Agency of Toll-free
1-800-461-9999

I asked "My USA husband wants to come to Canada but can't get a passport what else could he cross with"

She told me quote "He could cross with a Birth certificate, Vaild drivers license, nexus card, fast card:

I asked "He has a Vaild Photo ID and Birth Certificate could he cross with that"

She said "Yes" I asked several times to make sure what she was telling me was right.

I asked "Would he have trouble at the Canada border being he has no passport?"

She said "No there is no requirement to have a Passport to come into Canada by land"
Yes, the problem is not getting into Canada; it's getting back into the U.S. You should be speaking with U.S. border folks. He risks getting detained.