+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

USA and Canada Tax Help???

KuroNeko26

Mar 12, 2018
California
Hi there, I wanted some advice on what to do for filing my taxes this year. I moved to Canada from the USA and I haven't had a job since then. My main concern for filing this year is since my wife is a Canadian.. She doesn't have a USA SIN number as I do so when I try to file on turbo tax and put 0's in place of a SIN number for her it doesn't let me do it. Should I contact a professional on what to do or is this something I can do by myself? I just want to do things the right way and not mess anything up. I am aware I have to declare my worldwide income when I do start working in Canada but I don't know how to get past the whole SIN number thing when my wife doesn't have one. Any help is appreciated. :)

jclarke99

May 10, 2020
So, you don't have a SSN for the USA, right? Is your wife's only ties with the U.S. is through your marriage (i.e., she's not a U.S. citizen)? What about filing married separately? Or do you want the tax advantage of a higher deductible by filing married jointly in the U.S.? Or have I misunderstood your question?

KuroNeko26

Mar 12, 2018
California
So, you don't have a SSN for the USA, right? Is your wife's only ties with the U.S. is through your marriage (i.e., she's not a U.S. citizen)? What about filing married separately? Or do you want the tax advantage of a higher deductible by filing married jointly in the U.S.? Or have I misunderstood your question?
I'm the only one that has a SSN as I'm a U.S. citizen. And yes, she's never lived or worked in the U.S. and she's a Canadian citizen. We both live in Canada since I moved here to become a PR. Even when filling married but separately it still makes me have to declare her and put her basic info and it literally won't let me past that point in the process. I'm aware I have to get an ITIN number for her but the process is just overwhelming and I have no idea where to start or who to contact for help for this.

PrincessButtercup

Oct 1, 2019
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
30-10-2019
AOR Received.
24-12-2019
Med's Request
07-28-2020
Med's Done....
08-05-2020
Interview........
N/A (COVID)
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
09-28-2020
I'm the only one that has a SSN as I'm a U.S. citizen. And yes, she's never lived or worked in the U.S. and she's a Canadian citizen. We both live in Canada since I moved here to become a PR. Even when filling married but separately it still makes me have to declare her and put her basic info and it literally won't let me past that point in the process. I'm aware I have to get an ITIN number for her but the process is just overwhelming and I have no idea where to start or who to contact for help for this.
Not sure if you've figured this out yet or not, but you do not need a SSN or ITIN number for her in order to file your US taxes as "Married, Filing Separately." I went through this with my 2019 taxes and figured out how to do it one way, but for 2020's taxes I took a different route (still Married Filing Separately, through). Feel free to PM me if you haven't filed yet and still need help.

jclarke99

May 10, 2020
Did a Google search and found this...

Pub 17 states "If your spouse doesn't have and isn't required to have an SSN or ITIN, enter "NRA" in the space for your spouse's SSN [on Form 1040]." Since TurboTax will not permit an override for this entry, you will need to print your Federal return and enter "NRA" manually.

Reactions: ultrablue