Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2010
File Transfer...
13-05-2010
Med's Request
29-01-2010
Hi everyone,

I'm applying for my PR outland (South Africa) and have the option to work in the US soon after I get the PR. I have no North American work experience so I see this as an opportunity to get some.
Do Canadian employers value the US work experience? I've heard a lot of stories of new immigrants not being able to find work due to lack of canadian work experience....

Thx

WaitingForPR_09

Star Member
Mar 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
January 2011
I am also curious to know if Canadian employers value US experience... Any idea?

mediajunkie

Star Member
Sep 2, 2009
Short answer: US experience is useful, better than other countries, but not as valuable as Canadian experience.

Long answer: It really depends on whether the company recognizes the US experience. Canadian companies have a lot of national pride, they would rather take people in who were educated in Canada and work in Canada than those who go to the US. Why do you think the Canadian government is pushing immigration of skilled workers? It's because they're experiencing a brain drain of their own citizens to the United States. It is easy for Canadian employers to check up US references because calling the US is just a local call and they have access to certain US databases where they can verify employment and company existence. A lot of US companies also operate in Canada and there is some name familiarity too. Experience with a large international US company is way more valuable than a small local company because of name recognition. Having worked in the US (and I guess to some extent the UK, Australia, NZ as well) also shows (although sometimes not really accurately) that you have some proficiency in English and have had experience working in an English-speaking environment too, which will give you an advantage compared to experience working in a non-English speaking country.

Canadian employers are also more familiar with the Canadian education system and trust in their universities and colleges. The main importance of Canadian experience is that they want you to be familiar with Canadian customs, culture, policies, laws, and codes, etc. and while there are many similarities between Canada and the US, there are also quite significant differences. For example, for an accountant there are many tax laws in US that do not apply in Canada and vice versa. For a telecommunications engineer, there are policies, standards and frequencies that differ from that of the US especially in infrastructure and dissemination. You could be a history teacher in the US and you won't be able to teach Canadian history without having to learn it yourself. There are also differences in workplace culture. For example the US adheres to affirmative action policies, Canada does not. Canada has much stricter labor laws than the US. Canada has laws preventing discrimination based on sexual orientation, but the US mostly does not have such laws. Basically the US is not Canada, don't expect Canadian employers to treat them like the same country. The Canadian federal and provincial governments, as well as companies that have big contracts with them, tend to hire those with Canadian experience out of principle.

My personal experience: I have a Masters and Ph.D. from US universities, am well-published, speak perfect English, have an outstanding teaching record and my doctoral advisors are world-reknowned in their field. I worked as a professor in the US for 5 years at an well-known institution and then spent another 5 years as a consultant in NYC. When I applied for professorial positions at universities and colleges here in Canada, the unofficial reply I got from a couple of universities was that they give priority to Canadian Ph.D.s.. So I started looking for other jobs outside of academia. I have all the relevant technical certifications and sent out close to 500 resumes over the last year and not one reply. I worked for CGI in the US but CGI in Toronto wouldn't even consider me because they said I hadn't been in Canada long enough to pass security clearances for their government contracts. Employers wouldn't even bother to call my overseas references, but they were still willing to call my US references. Even when I applied for retail jobs at Home Depot and Walmart, they wanted me to have minimum 1 year of retail experience and they wanted Canadian references. So I went to employment agencies for temp work and they made me take many clerical and typing tests to prove my skills but they were eventually willing to give me a shot. My first job in Canada was as a temp doing data entry where I met many immigrants. Some had advanced degrees from the US and they were working with me. But working that job helped me with a reference to obtain my current job, which is still a survival job providing tech support at a call center. But I performed well at these "survival jobs" and recently my employer commented that I had performed really well and received a mini promotion. Over the last year I have built up 2 strong Canadian references by starting from scratch, taking whatever job would come by, and it has definitely padded my resume well. I recently sent out my revised resume to just 10 companies and already got 2 interview calls. I feel that I have benefited from the experience working for Canadian companies and am humbled by it too.

WaitingForPR_09

Star Member
Mar 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
January 2011
Hi Mediajunkie, Thanks for such a details analysis. It is really helpful in understanding the thought process of Candaian employer.

mediajunkie said:
Short answer: US experience is useful, better than other countries, but not as valuable as Canadian experience.

Long answer: It really depends on whether the company recognizes the US experience. Canadian companies have a lot of national pride, they would rather take people in who were educated in Canada and work in Canada than those who go to the US.

nj123

Mar 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2010
File Transfer...
13-05-2010
Med's Request
29-01-2010
mediajunkie said:
Wow. So this is much harder than I expected. Thanks for the response

Skyfox

Jul 25, 2010
mediajunkie said:
Mediajunkie, just wondering - why did you move from the US, where you had a pretty nice career, to Canada, where you had to take an entry-level job? Wouldn't it be much better for you to go back to the USA when you faced the necessity to take an entry-level job? Please understand correctly - no offense, I am just making the decision on my next steps myself, so it would be useful to get opinion of others. Thanks.

sogwap

Feb 18, 2010
Indiana
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Skyfox said:
Mediajunkie, just wondering - why did you move from the US, where you had a pretty nice career, to Canada, where you had to take an entry-level job? Wouldn't it be much better for you to go back to the USA when you faced the necessity to take an entry-level job? Please understand correctly - no offense, I am just making the decision on my next steps myself, so it would be useful to get opinion of others. Thanks.
I agree and this is darn right scary. As a US citizen I have 25 years IT experience in the US and there has been no job opportunities here (in Canada) that I have seen short of commuting 3 hours each day. I was hoping to get a work permit via NAFTA since I am not a PR, since after 8 months I'm still waiting for FBI clearance (due to low print quality, and lost fingerprints).
This has been a real strain on my new marriage. I came here to get married, and it looks like I will have to go back to the US to support myself and my new family. :-\ I can not work even for minimum wage, which is a fraction of what I left.
Love is a powerful force, it caused me to leave everything. But not being able to work is almost unbelievable....
What's hard to to understand at least from the Canadian (nationals) side is there are plenty of Americans working here. The difference is most came here with job offer in hand. Sigh

nj123

Mar 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2010
File Transfer...
13-05-2010
Med's Request
29-01-2010
sogwap said:
I agree and this is darn right scary. As a US citizen I have 25 years IT experience in the US and there has been no job opportunities here (in Canada) that I have seen short of commuting 3 hours each day. I was hoping to get a work permit via NAFTA since I am not a PR, since after 8 months I'm still waiting for FBI clearance (due to low print quality, and lost fingerprints).
This has been a real strain on my new marriage. I came here to get married, and it looks like I will have to go back to the US to support myself and my new family. :-\ I can not work even for minimum wage, which is a fraction of what I left.
Love is a powerful force, it caused me to leave everything. But not being able to work is almost unbelievable....
What's hard to to understand at least from the Canadian (nationals) side is there are plenty of Americans working here. The difference is most came here with job offer in hand. Sigh
Thanks for the info. What kind of IT work do you do at the moment in the US?
Thx

mediajunkie

Star Member
Sep 2, 2009
Skyfox said:
When I was working as a professor my position was cut due to budget cuts. Since I was the least senior professor on the staff, my full-time position was reduced to part-time which would not allow me to sustain my H1 visa requirements. It didn't help that all my research sponsors decided to cut funding too due to poor economy and I was unable to bring in the grant money that I used to. This was about 2-3 years ago when the economy took a big s-h-i-t due to all the bailouts. At about the same time the consulting firm I was working for went out of business, also for the same reasons. No one was hiring, let alone hiring foreigners in the US.

My parents and siblings have been Canada PRs since 2003, so I made the decision to join them here in Canada. My parents were getting older and my brother and sister had no interest in taking care of them. When I lost my H1 status in the US I lived with them for a year trying to look for a job here, but to no success. So I applied for FSW and got my application approved in less than a year. I admit when I came to Canada I had the arrogance thinking that my US qualifications would be well-recognized and widely accepted here. I like that Canada has universal healthcare coverage and provides for retirement and unemployment, something the US does not provide. I was also anxious to start a new life because I sort of regret my decision to go into academia - it is a very stressful life for very little pay. I'm actually starting a new course in September so that I move up the corporate ladder. Having Canadian qualifications will definitely up your ante in the job market too. But for now I'm actually quite happy because I don't have to worry about my research 24/7 or getting fired because I didn't publish enough - I get to go home at the end of the work day and sleep peacefully, and I'm actually only making only $300/month less than I did as a professor (due to the high minimum wage in Ontario) and the reduction in stress is quite worth it.

Remember that throughout history immigrants always had to struggle, regardless of which country they end up settling in. But eventually those who work hard and be humble themselves will eventually have a better life, for themselves and for their children. I meet a lot of immigrants through my volunteer work as an ESL teacher at immigrant centers and many of them have it worse off than me, but they eventually do succeed as well.

sogwap

Feb 18, 2010
Indiana
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nj123 said:
Thanks for the info. What kind of IT work do you do at the moment in the US?
Thx
Almost a year ago I quit the IT manager job I had for the previous 14 years overseeing about 150 computer systems. Before moving from the US to Canada a year ago according to the CIC website there was a shortage of IT personnel, however since moving here I realize the IT "Buble" burst several years ago. Yes there are IT jobs here, but there are also lots of IT professionals looking for work. At least that is my experience.

Skyfox

Jul 25, 2010
mediajunkie said:
When I was working as a professor my position was cut due to budget cuts. Since I was the least senior professor on the staff, my full-time position was reduced to part-time which would not allow me to sustain my H1 visa requirements. It didn't help that all my research sponsors decided to cut funding too due to poor economy and I was unable to bring in the grant money that I used to. This was about 2-3 years ago when the economy took a big s-h-i-t due to all the bailouts. At about the same time the consulting firm I was working for went out of business, also for the same reasons. No one was hiring, let alone hiring foreigners in the US.
Thanks for a detailed answer, and glad to hear that you are almost back at the level you were in the States (at least financially).

mediajunkie

Star Member
Sep 2, 2009
Skyfox said:
Thanks for a detailed answer, and glad to hear that you are almost back at the level you were in the States (at least financially).
It took me a while to realize that I wasn't ambitious. No point in working so hard when you have no time to enjoy life. Actually my 10-year goal now is to own a Tim Horton's, let a manager run it so that I won't have to do any work and spend the time traveling instead.

mediajunkie

Star Member
Sep 2, 2009
sogwap said:
Almost a year ago I quit the IT manager job I had for the previous 14 years overseeing about 150 computer systems. Before moving from the US to Canada a year ago according to the CIC website there was a shortage of IT personnel, however since moving here I realize the IT "Buble" burst several years ago. Yes there are IT jobs here, but there are also lots of IT professionals looking for work. At least that is my experience.
You can't expect to find a job that was equal to what you had back in the US. You were a manager there, but you might have to start off as a system administrator or even tech support. Because of your experience and contacts you can expect to rise quickly, but everyone has to start somewhere.

That being said have you tried any employment agencies and headhunters focused solely on IT recruitment? Many of the people I know tend to get their first jobs in Canada through employment agencies.