+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US visitor visa for Canada PR holder

babsizkil

Dec 18, 2016
Hi everyone, I am asking this question on behalf of a friend. I have tried to read all threads on this but not sure if it has been addressed recently. So, this friend had a US visitor visa in the past (3 years ago), he claimed asylum with his family under safe third-country exception, and got approved. The US consulate in his home country, wrote an email that they've cancelled his B1/B2 visa few weeks after making the claim. Would there be any reason why he will be deny a US visiting visa, if he wishes to visit State now that he is a Permanent Resident of Canada?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone, I am asking this question on behalf of a friend. I have tried to read all threads on this but not sure if it has been addressed recently. So, this friend had a US visitor visa in the past (3 years ago), he claimed asylum with his family under safe third-country exception, and got approved. The US consulate in his home country, wrote an email that they've cancelled his B1/B2 visa few weeks after making the claim. Would there be any reason why he will be deny a US visiting visa, if he wishes to visit State now that he is a Permanent Resident of Canada?
Approval of the B1/B2 is certainly not guaranteed.

Yes - it's possible the US visa may be refused if they feel he lacks ties and given his immigration history and the fact a previous B1/B2 was cancelled. Or he may be approved without issue. He will want to show strong ties to Canada (job, property, assets).

Reactions: babsizkil

babsizkil

Dec 18, 2016
Approval of the B1/B2 is certainly not guaranteed.

Yes - it's possible the US visa may be refused if they feel he lacks ties and given his immigration history and the fact a previous B1/B2 was cancelled. Or he may be approved without issue. He will want to show strong ties to Canada (job, property, assets).
OK, will let him know. Thou, he's a university student, and work part-time and a PR. Alternatively, maybe he should wait until he becomes a Canadian citizen. I guess, his previous B1/B2 was cancelled because he claim asylum in Canada via US-Canada border.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
OK, will let him know. Thou, he's a university student, and work part-time and a PR. Alternatively, maybe he should wait until he becomes a Canadian citizen. I guess, his previous B1/B2 was cancelled because he claim asylum in Canada via US-Canada border.
He can certainly try applying now - he should just be aware that approval is not guaranted.

I assumed his B1/B2 was cancelled because of the asylum claim. If it was cancelled for a different reason, then reapplying may be more difficult / complicated. Did he overstay in the US beyond his allowed stay before coming to Canada? If so, for how long?

babsizkil

Dec 18, 2016
He can certainly try applying now - he should just be aware that approval is not guaranted.

I assumed his B1/B2 was cancelled because of the asylum claim. If it was cancelled for a different reason, then reapplying may be more difficult / complicated. Did he overstay in the US beyond his allowed stay before coming to Canada? If so, for how long?
No, he never did for once. He was a frequent traveller to the US, with more than three multiple 2 years visas. But, because his wife was already in Canada waiting for tribunal hearing of her claim and had a Canadian born kid. He decided to join them, legally through immigration at the land POE. The counterfoil hasn't been physically cancelled, though now expired. I guess, US immigration don't want him to come back, should he lost the clam then.