+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Visitor Visa / Canadian Super Visa

hjbc2018

May 22, 2022
Hello forum folks,

Happy Sunday everyone!

I had applied for my mom's PR via the PGP program (submitted application in Mar 2021). Her application is in process per the online portal. I am not sure how long it will take for her PR application to get approved.

I would like her to continue staying in Canada with me until she is approved. What are our options? What can I do to ensure she does not have leave (she is in her 70's), or do a lot of back and forth travel? I am thinking super visa but not sure how long it will take for her to get the visa as she will have to be outside of Canada to apply (her US visitor visa is expiring in Oct 2022).

Also, while she is here with me in Canada (as a visitor), can she apply for US visitor visa? Will there be any issues if she does? Please advise. Thank you.

Reactions: hotsalsa

hotsalsa

Star Member
Jan 6, 2021
Hello forum folks,

Happy Sunday everyone!

I had applied for my mom's PR via the PGP program (submitted application in Mar 2021). Her application is in process per the online portal. I am not sure how long it will take for her PR application to get approved.

I would like her to continue staying in Canada with me until she is approved. What are our options? What can I do to ensure she does not have leave (she is in her 70's), or do a lot of back and forth travel? I am thinking super visa but not sure how long it will take for her to get the visa as she will have to be outside of Canada to apply (her US visitor visa is expiring in Oct 2022).

Also, while she is here with me in Canada (as a visitor), can she apply for US visitor visa? Will there be any issues if she does? Please advise. Thank you.
Hello,

PR application approval will take more than a year.

As far as I know, application for a Super Visa needs to be made from outside Canada. I wouldn’t suggest it because A. She is already awaiting a PR approval which, if all goes well, will get approved eventually and B. I assume she is already on a multiple entry Canada visitor visa. So getting into a Super Visa would be a waste of resources.

Your best option, in my opinion, is to apply for a visitor record extension. This can be applied online and is usually granted for a year in most cases and let’s the visitor stay in Canada for that extra time. You can apply for it multiple times based on your needs. If your goal is to keep her in Canada until her PR is approved, you may or may not have to apply for the visitor record extension more than once.

Yes, she can apply for a US visitor visa from Canada provided you are able to find an appointment easily. I hear it is difficult to find one these days (depending on where you live in Canada).

All the best!