+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Visa with Canadian spouse?

Phalos

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2020
Anybody here ever applied for a US trv having a Canadian spouse?
Asking because as we know, Canada TRV is almost impossible in such situation (especially after 1 previous Canadian trv refusal and a withdrawn PR application).
I wonder if US officer would care about it if for example indicated that applicant and Canadian spouse would like meet up in USA and go on a trip.
Any insight would be appreciated, thanks all!

MJSPARV

Sep 17, 2020
My guess as a US citizen is that it's probably fine so long as you show whatever proof of ties to the home country the US visitor visa requires and that having a Canadian spouse might actually be a good thing as concerns that the visitor might overstay in the US would be lessened I'd assume since there's a spouse in Canada. But, this is speculation based on having known a decent number of people who had family members come visit them while they were living in the US. (I don't know what the current visitor visa situation is with covid though as a heads up. I thought they had been temporarily suspended and then reopened but am not sure.) Good luck!

Reactions: Phalos

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Seems to me would overall be a plus (higher prob of approval if spouse Cdn citizen) but with two pretty big caveats:

-if there's a refusal to Canada... or
-not certain but believe US will ask what other visas .. and lack of Cdn visa might lead to questions.

Only guessing though.

Phalos

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2020
My guess as a US citizen is that it's probably fine so long as you show whatever proof of ties to the home country the US visitor visa requires and that having a Canadian spouse might actually be a good thing as concerns that the visitor might overstay in the US would be lessened I'd assume since there's a spouse in Canada. But, this is speculation based on having known a decent number of people who had family members come visit them while they were living in the US. (I don't know what the current visitor visa situation is with covid though as a heads up. I thought they had been temporarily suspended and then reopened but am not sure.) Good luck!
Yes thanks, some embassies around the world have opened for visitor visas.

Phalos

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2020
Seems to me would overall be a plus (higher prob of approval if spouse Cdn citizen) but with two pretty big caveats:

-if there's a refusal to Canada... or
-not certain but believe US will ask what other visas .. and lack of Cdn visa might lead to questions.

Only guessing though.
Thanks, I think thats a very good guess.
I dont think I will bother with a 2nd trv to Canada attempt, but lets see what those gums notes say for 1st refusal, but even those are delayed now.

Western Mountain Man

Nov 2, 2018
Canada
Thanks, I think thats a very good guess.
I dont think I will bother with a 2nd trv to Canada attempt, but lets see what those gums notes say for 1st refusal, but even those are delayed now.
Probably not a good idea to waste time on another TRV..... I'm sure they make money on that process.
There may be many questions for the USA visa without a solid travel history especially during covid times.

Try to address the issues regarding previous PR application showing some change/improvements.
Are you able to travel and spend time with your spouse?

Phalos

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2020
There may be many questions for the USA visa without a solid travel history especially during covid times.
Cdn Visa Officer had no concern about my spouse's travel history. The refusal only said:
-Family Ties in Canada (me)
-Purpose of Trip
So I really doubt that the US Visa Officer will have travel history concerns, as my spouse travels a lot to Eastern Bloc European countries. The purpose of trip would be clear cut =to spend short vacation with Canadian husband in Niagara Falls, NY. I'd book and show proof of Hotel booking.
The "family tie" concern would be moot, since I am not a US citizen and as Armoured said, having a Cdn spouse would not be a detractor only a bonus(?) A Canadian citizen doesn't usually overstay in the USA, we are law abiding and therefore my spouse would go back home as she has a small business, apartment, 2 vehicles to go back to- people just dont abandon stuff like that to live unknown by themselves in a foreign country.
I really want to spend a little bit of time with my spouse in USA, I think if we pull off a 2wk honeymoon in USA with full scale proof of trip, that would be a game changer for Cdn PR - there would be no doubt in IRCC.
Sure I could travel to spouse's home country, but I want her to see our side of the planet for a change...

MJSPARV

Sep 17, 2020
Cdn Visa Officer had no concern about my spouse's travel history. The refusal only said:
-Purpose of Trip
So I really doubt that the US Visa Officer will have travel history concerns, as my spouse travels a lot to Eastern Bloc European countries. The purpose of trip would be clear cut =to spend short vacation with Canadian husband in Niagara Falls, NY. I'd book and show proof of Hotel booking.
The "family tie" concern would be moot, since I am not a US citizen and as Armoured said, having a Cdn spouse would not be a detractor only a bonus(?) A Canadian citizen doesn't usually overstay in the USA, we are law abiding and therefore my spouse would go back home as she has a small business, apartment, 2 vehicles to go back to- people just dont abandon stuff like that to live unknown by themselves in a foreign country.
I really want to spend a little bit of time with my spouse in USA, I think if we pull off a 2wk honeymoon in USA with full scale proof of trip, that would be a game changer for Cdn PR - there would be no doubt in IRCC.
Sure I could travel to spouse's home country, but I want her to see our side of the planet for a change...
For what it's worth, I was thinking about your question earlier today, and I think that there's something else in your favour for getting a US tourist visa: the US is also very strict about letting people in the application process for US permanent residency into the US, so if you have to explain why she's visiting you in the US not visiting in Canada or why her trv was denied, it's for a reason that should make a lot of sense to a US Visa officer. I personally know a Canadian citizen who's entire US PR app was rejected because she tried to enter the US for a weekend to visit family, and have a family member from a visa waiver country who was told to absolutely not attempt to enter the US for any reason while his green card application was in process, even though as the spouse and dad of US citizens and a citizen of a visa waiver country he could usually come for 6 months no questions asked.

Personally I think your wife has a really great chance of getting a US visitor visa and that her trv in Canada refusal shouldn't be an issue. Make sure she shows as much proof as possible about her ties to her home country and I think you'll be fine. Good luck and I hope it works out for her to visit you in the US!

• Love

Phalos

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2020
For what it's worth, I was thinking about your question earlier today, and I think that there's something else in your favour for getting a US tourist visa: the US is also very strict about letting people in the application process for US permanent residency into the US, so if you have to explain why she's visiting you in the US not visiting in Canada or why her trv was denied, it's for a reason that should make a lot of sense to a US Visa officer. I personally know a Canadian citizen who's entire US PR app was rejected because she tried to enter the US for a weekend to visit family, and have a family member from a visa waiver country who was told to absolutely not attempt to enter the US for any reason while his green card application was in process, even though as the spouse and dad of US citizens and a citizen of a visa waiver country he could usually come for 6 months no questions asked.

Personally I think your wife has a really great chance of getting a US visitor visa and that her trv in Canada refusal shouldn't be an issue. Make sure she shows as much proof as possible about her ties to her home country and I think you'll be fine. Good luck and I hope it works out for her to visit you in the US!
Thank you so much for your support, means a lot!

Western Mountain Man

Nov 2, 2018
Canada
-Purpose of Trip
We usually don't overstay our visits south of the boarder and during normal times just a short drive to fill-up the ' tank ' and bring back some cheap beer and dairy products..... Haven't been able to do that in a few years. :(

IRCC is concerned with family ties and purpose of trip regarding TRV applications especially for females. That's why many are refused and It's not worth going there again. So you think the next best option is for her to apply for a USA visa and if successful meet for a short trip close to the Canadian boarder.

Well, If she is established with enough ties to her homeland and has a solid travel history then our southern neighbours are probably not too concerned with her jumping across the boarder to Canada. Why not apply for the visa and if successful it will be to your benefit. Be prepared for some questions and leave that part out " but I want her to see our side of the planet for a change. "

Phalos

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2020
So you think the next best option is for her to apply for a USA visa and if successful meet for a short trip close to the Canadian boarder.
Yup, its worth a shot I guess. This kind of trip will show good faith when she goes back home and further proof of ongoing relationship. 2 birds one stone.
Cdn Visa officer opens up PR app and seeing - 2wk honeymoon in the United States...
Sounds better than "sponsor went back to visit applicant in her country"....Booooorrrrrring.....