+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Visa validity... is it really 10 years as a PR?

ontariobankerpnp

Mar 8, 2013
Hi Guys,
Again this is new territory for me. I've applied for a US visa and had my appointment today. Previously I would only get a B2 visa that is valid for 1 year because of the reciprocity arrangement with the country I'm a citizen of. Which means I've been applying for a new US visa roughly every year and can now do it in my sleep with my eyes closed.

Today was the first year I've done it as a Canadian PR and as I was walking away from the guy at the window (visa was granted as usual of course) I jokingly said, "see you next year." Only for him to respond, no, your visa will be valid for 10 years now that you are a PR.

I didn't know that. Came as a huge surprise to me!! And now I'm very excited because that may be the very last time I apply for a US Visa, because by the time 10 years is up... I'll be a Canadian citizen and will no longer need a US visa!!!!!

Those that have done this before...Please tell me its true... Am I really going to get a 10 year US visa? :D :D

Ojeola

Champion Member
Jul 27, 2012
ontariobankerpnp said:
Hi Guys,
Again this is new territory for me. I've applied for a US visa and had my appointment today. Previously I would only get a B2 visa that is valid for 1 year because of the reciprocity arrangement with the country I'm a citizen of. Which means I've been applying for a new US visa roughly every year and can now do it in my sleep with my eyes closed.

Today was the first year I've done it as a Canadian PR and as I was walking away from the guy at the window (visa was granted as usual of course) I jokingly said, "see you next year." Only for him to respond, no, your visa will be valid for 10 years now that you are a PR.

I didn't know that. Came as a huge surprise to me!! And now I'm very excited because that may be the very last time I apply for a US Visa, because by the time 10 years is up... I'll be a Canadian citizen and will no longer need a US visa!!!!!

Those that have done this before...Please tell me its true... Am I really going to get a 10 year US visa? :D :D
Yeah, generally landed immigrant get @ least 10yrs US visa it due to the fact that you now a PR holder. Most of the PR holder I know all got 10yrs visa.

May I know what consulate you toke your appointment with ? Plaining to go for mine also next month.

ontariobankerpnp

Mar 8, 2013
Ojeola said:
Yeah, generally landed immigrant get @ least 10yrs US visa it due to the fact that you now a PR holder. Most of the PR holder I know all got 10yrs visa.

May I know what consulate you toke your appointment with ? Plaining to go for mine also next month.
Great! I don't know any PR holders that applied for US visa after PR so that came as a surprise.

I went to Ottawa. Good luck on your application Ojeola. I hope you already have appointment. I booked mine even before I had PPR.

verveiko

Aug 3, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
24-09-2012
Med's Done....
15-10-2012
Passport Req..
08-03-2013
LANDED..........
29-03-2013
ontariobankerpnp said:
Great! I don't know any PR holders that applied for US visa after PR so that came as a surprise.

I went to Ottawa. Good luck on your application Ojeola. I hope you already have application. I booked mine even before I had PPR.
I got mine B2 in February before I got PR for 5 years, because all ukrainian citizens have 5 year US visa.

babakura

Jun 15, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-11-2011
Nomination.....
23-09-2012
AOR Received.
02-01-13
IELTS Request
Submitted
Med's Request
Jan 2013
Med's Done....
Jan 2013
Interview........
ecas Med received: 19th March 2013
Passport Req..
8th Nov 2013
VISA ISSUED...
12 th Nov 2013
LANDED..........
20 Nov 2013
Yep .. You get 10yrs as a Canadian PR ... I know heaps of people with 10 yrs ..... Goodluck :p :p :p :p :p :p

Supertramp048

Jul 19, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
may 5, 2012 (federal)
Nomination.....
7 april, 2012
AOR Received.
june 20, 2012
IELTS Request
N/a
File Transfer...
not known
Med's Request
20 june, 2012
Med's Done....
26 june 2012,, In process June 24, 2013
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
September 19, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
i am in canada applicant
I am on an open work permit...i still got couple of months back 10 years of multiple entry visa to USA

leakhena

Star Member
Feb 13, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPPO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-07-2013
Doc's Request.
20-02-2014 PCC
AOR Received.
17-09-2013
IELTS Request
sent with app
Med's Request
27-02-2014
Med's Done....
25-02-2014
Interview........
Waive
Passport Req..
28/05/2014
VISA ISSUED...
04/06/2014
LANDED..........
11/06/2014
ontariobankerpnp said:
Just picked up my passport from loomis. Sure enough, the visa expires in April 2023. ;D
Is it your passport will expire in 2023?
my question is, it will valid if our passport is expire before the visa?

Igbin

Star Member
Apr 25, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
leakhena said:
Is it your passport will expire in 2023?
my question is, it will valid if our passport is expire before the visa?
The visa remain valid even if your passport expire. You can always show them the visa at POE in the spent of expired passport.

djnaman

Star Member
Nov 9, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Can somebody tell me is it that we apply online for us visa??am waiting for ppr and want to apply for it soon and dont want to spend money hiring consultant.thanks in advance

akapoor

Nov 26, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
SINP
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
July 03,2014
djnaman said:
Can somebody tell me is it that we apply online for us visa??am waiting for ppr and want to apply for it soon and dont want to spend money hiring consultant.thanks in advance
https://ceac.state.gov/genniv/ Here's the link apply online

Cheers !!

andy_7830

Star Member
May 12, 2014
I am under the live in caregiver program with 2 yrs working permit in Canada applied for tourist US visa to take National Physical Therapy Examination got also 10 yrs multi entry visa that was year 2007, Vancouver US Consulate and Philippine passport. I shown authorize to test letter fr FSBPT and date and location letter fr prometric. Immigration Officer fr US Embassy just asked me how many yrs in college or university I said 5 yrs, he said ok then just a minute stepped backward typed something in the computer and congrats and good luck.

Andy

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
andy_7830 said:
I am under the live in caregiver program with 2 yrs working permit in Canada applied for tourist US visa to take National Physical Therapy Examination got also 10 yrs multi entry visa that was year 2007, Vancouver US Consulate and Philippine passport. I shown authorize to test letter fr FSBPT and date and location letter fr prometric. Immigration Officer fr US Embassy just asked me how many yrs in college or university I said 5 yrs, he said ok then just a minute stepped backward typed something in the computer and congrats and good luck.

Andy
Because of reciprocity, Philippine passport holders can typically get 10-year B1/B2 visas even without PR or work permits.

alfa2204

Oct 31, 2012
Hello,
Sorry, I'm pulling this up to ask a related question.
In the online application, there is no question about applicant's resident status, so how do they know if you are a PR holder or not?