+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US visa for Protected persons and PRs

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My situation is pretty similar. I had a US visa and crossed the border to Canada in October 2019 (I didn't overstay my visa). Now that I have protected person status in Canada and RTD, I would like to go back to the US sometimes to visit my friends. I was wondering if they would ban me if I tried to apply for a visa. Is there a legal way to let US know that I left the country without overstaying my visa?
Also would it make a difference when I become a Canadian citizen?
Impossoible to say what will happen. We have seen some people receiving bans or being denied because they mislead the US in the visa application and did not visit the US. They used their visa to arrive and walk to Canada to claim asylum. You can apply and see what happens. There are also many people who have had no issues getting a US visa. Getting Canadian citizenship doesn't mean that bans go away.

Reactions: Zulubia

Zulubia

Oct 1, 2020
Impossoible to say what will happen. We have seen some people receiving bans or being denied because they mislead the US in the visa application and did not visit the US. They used their visa to arrive and walk to Canada to claim asylum. You can apply and see what happens. There are also many people who have had no issues getting a US visa. Getting Canadian citizenship doesn't mean that bans go away.
What if I wait till I become a citizen then try to go to the US? Would that decrease the chances of getting banned?

lucas101

Aug 22, 2018
ORD
Sometimes when I read comments on this page n people sound like they are the final authority on another person's matter, it actually breaks my heart. My roommate have lived 5yrs illegally in the US before coming here n got her refugee claim accepted n permanent residency is stil processing. Prior to Covid she applied for RTD n got it. Applied for the US Visa and got it Infact she got 5yrs again. It's actually what u say versus what the VO is asking you and there is no grand law that states that you won't get it.

Let's refrain from sounding like the final judge...see that one saying "You have zero chance". It's not only zero chance u might as well say they don't even have a chance of entering the US embassy....#Rubbish

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Sometimes when I read comments on this page n people sound like they are the final authority on another person's matter, it actually breaks my heart. My roommate have lived 5yrs illegally in the US before coming here n got her refugee claim accepted n permanent residency is stil processing. Prior to Covid she applied for RTD n got it. Applied for the US Visa and got it Infact she got 5yrs again. It's actually what u say versus what the VO is asking you and there is no grand law that states that you won't get it.

Let's refrain from sounding like the final judge...see that one saying "You have zero chance". It's not only zero chance u might as well say they don't even have a chance of entering the US embassy....#Rubbish
I have seen most members declares “they are not immigration lawyers” and offer advise on most likely situation to happen, which is good... and in most case happens,

same way you mentioned about your friend situation with US Authority, some will believe some wont. Its not Rubbish, but everyone collect information to suit his situation. At the end, its Processing officer who makes final determination, and this is open discussion forum. Thanks

Reactions: lucas101

Andftoe

Star Member
Jul 23, 2020
could you please tell me the main reason for visa refusal? How do you think is it due to my daughter birth there or irregular border cross?
I didn't apply for assylum in USA. Just entered with tourist visa and after came to Canada.
I think you have to pay for pardon!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Not sure how “impossible to say“ is giving concrete advice. Would add that your friend may still have difficulty entering the US may still be impossible at the border. The US does make mistakes but in general anyone who had overstayed a visa in the US and left the US will get an automatic 10 year ban.

Reactions: Simba112

Faisalkhan555

Apr 14, 2020
I have seen most members declares “they are not immigration lawyers” and offer advise on most likely situation to happen, which is good... and in most case happens,

same way you mentioned about your friend situation with US Authority, some will believe some wont. Its not Rubbish, but everyone collect information to suit his situation. At the end, its Processing officer who makes final determination, and this is open discussion forum. Thanks
Not sure how “impossible to say“ is giving concrete advice. Would add that your friend may still have difficulty entering the US may still be impossible at the border. The US does make mistakes but in general anyone who had overstayed a visa in the US and left the US will get an automatic 10 year ban.
Please show where is it mentioned if anyone leaves US illegally will get 10 years automatically ban?

tessytessy

Star Member
Jan 11, 2018
Thank you for your opinion; regarding payment for my daughter`s birth delivery - it was paid fully by insurance company (we got it as soon as came to US).
There is nothing like paid by insurance (you should even seek to make those payments). My best advice for you is not to even go near that American Embassy, it could even complicate issues for you. Since you are already a PR, wait till you become a citizen before traveling to USA.

tessytessy

Star Member
Jan 11, 2018
since he didn't overstay in the U.S, he most likely didn't get a ban and would have no issues traveling there as a Canadian Citizen.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
since he didn't overstay in the U.S, he most likely didn't get a ban and would have no issues traveling there as a Canadian Citizen.
You can still end up with a ban if the US discovers you lied about your intentions when applying for a visa or be refused entry to the US. It is impossible to know without applying.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017