+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US visa before getting PR card

Mat14

Star Member
Jun 11, 2014
Hello Gents,

Anyone applied for US visa with COPR before getting the PR card and got it for 5 years as the PR cards holders

Thanks all

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: US visa before getting PR card

Mat14 said:
Hello Gents,

Anyone applied for US visa with COPR before getting the PR card and got it for 5 years as the PR cards holders

Thanks all
What about the ladies? 8)

If the visa you are applying for specifies "Canadian PR card holder" (never heard of that one myself), you'll need a PR card.

& +1 to Clearly: U.S. immigration won't/don't care about COPR.

Now we've got all that out of the way, which U.S. visa are you applying for?

MiriamT

May 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-03-2009
File Transfer...
09-03-2009
Med's Done....
28-10-2008
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2009
LANDED..........
27-11-2009
Mat14 said:
Hello Gents,

Thanks all
Not a gent, but — and I should disclose this was in 2009 — I did apply for a US visa while my passport was still in Brazil to have the visa stamped. At the time, the wait was quite long and I did not want to risk, so once I received the passport request I scheduled an interview at the American Consulate in Vancouver. My at the time husband and I were going to Hawaii; I applied for a B2 visa.

The interview happened 10 days after the landing, so obviously I didn't have a card, only the COPR. When checking my documents before the interview, the Consulate employee asked me where was my card and I just said I hadn't received mine yet. I went to the interview, was asked a few questions, like "how long were you in the US for?" because of my expired J1 visa, asked me where I was planning to go, we chatted about the destination (Big Island) which she said was her favourite spot in the country, and approved my visa.

After a few days I went to pick up my passport, and I had received a 10-year B1/B2 visa, with an annotation that I'm a Permanent Resident in Canada.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
aaaasaher said:
Hi
I want to ask a question
When apply for immigration as private sponsorship the form of generic application for canada. IMM0008 which contain barcode, in passport number field which is mandatory to answer i put wrong passport number by mistake and validate and submit to cic so the application is return or delay or no problem
Please help!!
Please stop asking this same question in multiple threads. You need to notify CIC of the mistake and correct it by sending in details/documentary evidence of the correct passport. It seems an unusual error unless say you used information from your own recently expired passport so they may dig into it deeper on the basis of fraud/misrepresentation.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mat14 said:
Hello Gents,

Thanks all
Its doable. DHS does know what COPR is but for admin purposes its easier to work with a PR Card. What the consular office wants to see is proof of ties to Canada - activated COPR means landing/PR acquisition which is one of the 'tie' factors being considered. Issue/validity period is typically based on reciprocity - it may be tied to your country of citizenship or you can be piggy backed onto what a Canadian Citizen could 'potentially' get for a B1/B2 combo say so 10 years. By that time most PRs would have acquired Canadian Citizenship and don't really need the B1/B2 combo.

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
aaaasaher said:
The passport is not expired but by mistake put wrong number not the same as the passport number and validate with barcode and sent to cic, so now if i not inform cic my application may be refused
And i am worry about that
Contact CIC and inform them of the error, and stop spamming multiple threads here.

MiriamT

May 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-03-2009
File Transfer...
09-03-2009
Med's Done....
28-10-2008
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2009
LANDED..........
27-11-2009
Msafiri said:
Its doable. DHS does know what COPR is but for admin purposes its easier to work with a PR Card. What the consular office wants to see is proof of ties to Canada - activated COPR means landing/PR acquisition which is one of the 'tie' factors being considered. Issue/validity period is typically based on reciprocity - it may be tied to your country of citizenship or you can be piggy backed onto what a Canadian Citizen could 'potentially' get for a B1/B2 combo say so 10 years. By that time most PRs would have acquired Canadian Citizenship and don't really need the B1/B2 combo.
Yeah, I was pretty surprised when they gave me 10 years, because at the time they would only give 5 years to those applicants with the same nationality as myself.