+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US vehicle stuck in Canada

Codewhite79

Sep 25, 2016
I am hoping someone can offer some help with our situation.
3 years ago, my wife drove from the US to Canada and came into the country as a visitor. She didn't export/import her vehicle. Since that time she applied and has received permanent residency.
However in that time, her registration, safety, plates and insurance have all expired on her American vehicle and it has been parked and not in use the last 2 years here in Canada.
Now we would like to switch the title over, register and insure it and start using her vehicle again.
How can we do this when we can't drive the vehicle at all? Can everything be done via paperwork or does the vehicle need to go back to the US?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
the vehicle needs to be properly exported/imported before you can register and insure it in canada. I'd suggest researching "exporting car to canada". The RIV site is for the canadian part of the process. there are a lot of little steps. there are some threads on this board that gives step by step details about it.

as part of the export process, the car will need to be in the us for at least 72 hours prior to export. so you will need to figure out how to get it there.

Jack Smalls

Sep 19, 2020
I am in a similar scenario. I am a Canadian PR and my car was only supposed to be in Canada temporarily. I ran into issues having it picked up and the border is currently closed. Now I have a leased car with US plates stuck in Canada that can’t be driven/imported. My lease is up in 6 months, would I have any issues driving it back into the US to return?