+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Travel Ban

sss12345

Star Member
Dec 13, 2017
Can a convention refugee (PR application in process) apply for a US visa with a Canadian travel document under the new reinforced by supreme court Presidential Proclamation (Dec 4th). I know for sure that Canadian permanent residents are exempted from the Presidential Proclomation, but are Canadian refugees considered permanent residents for US visa purposes?

gavendano

Star Member
Feb 11, 2016
Can a convention refugee (PR application in process) apply for a US visa with a Canadian travel document under the new reinforced by supreme court Presidential Proclamation (Dec 4th). I know for sure that Canadian permanent residents are exempted from the Presidential Proclomation, but are Canadian refugees considered permanent residents for US visa purposes?
You can certainly apply but the US has the right of denying you a Visa. After the Travel Ban was initially implemented there were cases of people with PR that got their entry to the US denied.

It is too soon to tell if that's still the case, maybe wait a little bit?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You're not a permanent resident yet. I would wait until you are officially a PR to apply.

Note that once you have PR, the US visitor visa can still be refused.

DigitalPrince

Feb 8, 2017
You're not a permanent resident yet. I would wait until you are officially a PR to apply.

Note that once you have PR, the US visitor visa can still be refused.
I am a conventional refugee too. I am also a parent of a US Citizen. Can I apply for a visitor visa to USA? Is there a ban on conventional refugeee? Can my child qualify me for a waiver?

I will appreciate your informed answer. Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am a conventional refugee too. I am also a parent of a US Citizen. Can I apply for a visitor visa to USA? Is there a ban on conventional refugeee? Can my child qualify me for a waiver?

I will appreciate your informed answer. Thanks
You can certainly apply for a visitor visa to the US. To be approved, the US will likely want to see that you have strong ties to Canada and have no plans on remaining in Canada long term.

There's no waiver available just because you have a US citizen child.