+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US tourist visa for immigrant living in Canada

dsntor

Nov 11, 2014
I am a US citizen and my long-term partner is a Chinese national living in Ontario on a work permit. She has re-applied for an appointment to obtain a US tourist visa, having been declined earlier this year.

When she was interviewed last time she (1.) was unable to furnish proof of employment (although she held and still holds a full-time job), and (2.) did not obscure any of the facts concerning our relationship and her intent to visit me specifically, on which subject she was extensively questioned. She now has an employment letter from her company, but otherwise the situation remains unchanged.

Given our situation, is there reason to believe she will be denied again? If anyone has specific advice to offer, it would be greatly appreciated!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You'd probably be better off asking this question on a US immigration forum.

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dsntor said:
I am a US citizen and my long-term partner is a Chinese national living in Ontario on a work permit. She has re-applied for an appointment to obtain a US tourist visa, having been declined earlier this year.

When she was interviewed last time she (1.) was unable to furnish proof of employment (although she held and still holds a full-time job), and (2.) did not obscure any of the facts concerning our relationship and her intent to visit me specifically, on which subject she was extensively questioned. She now has an employment letter from her company, but otherwise the situation remains unchanged.

Given our situation, is there reason to believe she will be denied again? If anyone has specific advice to offer, it would be greatly appreciated!
Employment letter should help. She needs to be honest why she is going and who she knows there. Need to have valid travel plans and sufficient funds. Lying will get her no where.

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
dsntor said:

It is important that she reviews the info she filled in her application. A lot of the questions asked are drawn from your application e.g how long are you staying? Her answers must be consistent with the information she provided in her application. If she called you her boy friend in the application she shouldn't call you her fiancée on the interview. Also, she shouldn't panic, it reflects badly on the applicant and thus arouses thoughts of dishonesty in the mind of the consular officer. She should be confident and look the officer in the eyes. It may sound lame but it is key in erasing concerns on her honesty. Lastly, her answers should be specific e.g.if asked where she's going to stay during her visit, she should give a full address not just a city e.g Chicago.

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
They only asked for my employment when I went for a visa interview. I had a plethora of documents with me but they didn't even ask to peek. I guess it all comes down to how one carries oneself at the interview? Or maybe its random. Having a relationship with an american doesn't help.

david1697

Nov 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
She may or may not be granted visitor visa as a Chinese national living in Canada who wants to visit you in US.

As someone suggested go to US forums and ask there.

I have read about plenty of posters in situations similar to her who were granted visitor visas in US. I have also read about many more who weren't.